Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thoughts on a permission

Boondocks

I have the opportunity the day after Christmas to hunt a beautiful 1909 Victorian home. My question is two fold: 1) do you think I should use my 6” coil or my stock 11” coil for my CTX3030? 2) do you think I should use the high trash or Ferrous Coin setting. Thoughts on why would be great to hear. Merry Christmas y’all!!!

Old houses that are still standing are every MD's dream. Not all the time but tend to be low modern trash but mainly high iron. Would start 11" coil with ferrous coin(high trash can send the left side on the ID for a larger coin really low like 3-42 and the target trace really high. If stable try open screen and dig everything for a while unless your digging tons of modern trash Have found lots of gold rings and jewelry in old house yards. Use some disc if needed. Always start with front yard. More activity there back then. If you're getting lots of iron tones and mixed iron/good signals in target trace and time permits switch to 6" coil and see if your can separate them. If time more limited, you can start with the 6" coil and run the gain higher if stable and still get good depth. Wish I was with you. HH and Merry Christmas. PT

Boondocks said:
1) do you think I should use my 6” coil or my stock 11” coil for my CTX3030?
2) do you think I should use the high trash or Ferrous Coin setting.
Merry Christmas y’all!!!

Boondocks,

#1. I always start with the 11" coil in cases like that. It has lots more coverage, and helps get the 'low hanging fruit' more quickly. (It's also deeper for the older stuff.)
Once you've covered it with the 11, then switch to the 6" to get the stuff that's more co-located with trash. Always use Target Trace....with any coil.
When you do switch to the 6, be sure to SLOW DOWN and overlap. As stated many times before, using a small coil is like painting a barn with a toothbrush.
Be deliberate and precise....don't swing it like you're cutting weeds, LOL.

#2. It completely depends on your ground.
If you have low mineralization, either works....but FC helps the co-locates better.
If you have high mineralization, you'll wrap your detector around the nearest tree if you try to use FC....use HT instead.
(There's a reason Minelab says not to use FC in mineralized ground. Consult the manual for details.)

Old homesites are kind of a hit-and-miss proposition.
Lots of times, there are fewer coins than you expect...but the ones you do find can be excellent scores. :)
Use patience.

I wish you the best of luck, and a Merry Christmas to you as well,
:)
mike