Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Three hours at a Boy Scout Camp

Oldguy

I just got back from a weekend camp out with The Boy Scouts. We went to a camp I've never been to before. The typical "80 year old scout camp camp" which most of the time means hunted out, you'll fine newer clad nothing more. This one surprised me with two wheat pennies in the first hole, next came a 1954 Jefferson nickel (not pictured) then two Buffalo nickles about 20 feet apart one a 1936 the other no date. Got the 1956 Rosie as it was getting dark. Ended up with 8 Wheat pennies mostly from 1940s with 1913 the earliest, as well as a handful of modern clad. Looking forward to going back to this camp next summer.

Oldguy, is that camp still active for scouts? Do they allow detecting? Im a scout leader and always wondered about hunting camps, but never inquired.
Thx!

I was a scout leader for over 20 years. Our scout camp has only been their since1968. I hunt it every year after camp is over. The swimming area has been used since the early 1900. I have found a lot of old silver. After camp I will hunt it for about a week. Them kids sure can loose a lot of money and everything else. I do turn all the tent stakes I find. I even hind cell phones and an Ipad. Most of them I turn in at the scout office so they can be returned... KEN

Nice going. I like hunting camps of all sorts and often the settings are real serene. I spent many years in scouting and three years on staff at a scout reservation.

Great! :clapping: Me and my two younger brothers are Eagles...I remember the Klondike Derby winter campouts...we built sleds and raced them against other troops...Winter camping was fun and I preferred it over the bugs of Summer for sure...lots of canoe trips, the Big Manistee river here in MI you can go for 110 miles in a one week trip..did that one three times, even after I was out of the Scouts I canoed that river...The Pere Marquette, the Pine, Ausable, Muskegon, etc...lots of nice rivers here...My Dad said back in the day, in the 40's...up at Blue Lake Scout Camp, they got a lot of Chicago area troops that came up here with these massive 'War Canoes' that they had built, it was very active back then...I wonder now about how Scouting is? Theres a lot of Ladies that are now Scout leaders from what I hear...Can a guy still carry a knife? Make fire? Shoot rifles? :shrug:

Thank you leaders for your commitment! ..thats a big responsibility and really takes a great deal of time...Looking back, we sure put our Leader through all seven layers of hell!:rofl: I can only imagine what it must be like, I never had the nerve to give it a try myself, plus, I fear Karma...I have some serious butt kicking coming from some quarter of my past, and figured I'd shorted the odds in my favor!:lmfao:
Mud