Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Threshold Buzz

jspoon

Sometimes my threshold buzzez like a bee on my GT and other times it's a high pitch, does it matter?
Thanks HH

I think its just the last target that the coil saw that will give the threshold tone.

Yea, like he said- probably certain tone changes based on last target saw. Only thing I have noticed though is to be careful with how high you ride sensitivity and any adjustments made while hunting to the threshold level. Several times I'd be hunting along and could hear the threshold just fine but when I stopped the coil for several seconds suddenly it got much louder (without a tone change), and it was then I realized I had somehow adjusted threshold high enough to hear again with it nulled out due to too high of a sensitivity setting (or can be caused by too fast of a sweep speed), and once I stopped swinging and sat for a second the threshold finally returned to normal levels. That's when I'd re-lower it to the right soft hum and then lower my sensitivity or slow down my sweep to keep it from dropping out from now on.

The tone of the threshold Buzz will be the last item that the coil crossed over. It will change when another target is crossed. Place a quarter one the ground and a couple of feet away place a screw or nail. Pass the coil over the quarter and listen to the buzz and then do the same with the nail. You will see what we are talking about in the change in threshold. HH

my gt and excal both have a higher pitched threshold buzz when first turned on but both go to that lower tone buzz after about 30 seconds of use...i assume its normal ..... i too wondered the same thing when i first got my gt...... if the tone stays high after going over a target and you what the normal low threshold back you can try passing your digging tool over the coil and quite often it will go back to normal threshold tone.....

Also, wacking the coil on the ground (thudding it...don't have to be too hard) will often cause the machine to reset. I do this a lot to calibrate the meter, because when you hear the machine (and thus threshold) reset the meter should read -505 if it's calibrated to go 180 on a dime or quarter. I've seen this same thing on Ron's meter as well as my Minelab Digisearch meter. Far easier than throwing a coin on the ground and having to pick it back up. Often I'm wearing gloves so just trying to fish a coin out of my pouch...By the time I do that, throw it on the ground, and pick it back up, I could have just set it with a quick coil thump on the ground. It's easier to do as you ride sensitivity higher towards the edge of stability, but if set too high it'll keep chattering on you and not give you enough time to calibrate the meter. So if I'm riding the somewhat unstable edge of sensitivity and want to check or adjust the meter, I'll lower the sensitivity a bit so it doesn't drive me mad and I can't beat the clock towards calibrating it. :biggrin:

BHNugget said:
I think its just the last target that the coil saw that will give the threshold tone.

yep thats it right there. it will also come back as low growl after the threshold disappears, last target tone.

jspoon said:
Sometimes my threshold buzzez like a bee on my GT and other times it's a high pitch, does it matter?
Thanks HH

I glued a quarter on the inside of my boots ( at the toe ) and just run the coil over it when I want it to come back to a normal threshold. When hunting at the beach, I just run it over my stainless steel scoop if I want it to come back .

As stated below in the other posts, it isn't necessary because it will come back when going over the next target , but I don't want to wait.:)

fsa46 said:
jspoon said:
Thanks HH

I glued a quarter on the inside of my boots ( at the toe ) and just run the coil over it when I want it to come back to a normal threshold. When hunting at the beach, I just run it over my stainless steel scoop if I want it to come back .

As stated below in the other posts, it isn't necessary because it will come back when going over the next target , but I don't want to wait.:)

I do the same as you by swinging my scoop across the top of my coil. I usually will do it for two reasons, one is to get rid of that growl when you go over iron, that is one annoying tone right there, and the other is a faint tone. Its harder to reaquire a faint tone if your detector is already at that tone, easier to reaquire the target if your tone is different. So if you get just the tone change and its faint, not even a rise in threshold, it just changes, reset to a different tone and it will be easier to reaquire that faint threshold change, then dig till you find it:thumbup: