Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Threshold - Loud or Nothing - Is it me?

flysar

I can't seem the find that barely hum of a threshold on my ATX, it's either to loud or silent. It may be my ears but I dont have that problem with a knob style threshold. Has anyone addressed this with Garrett or is it just my ears?

Are you in salt water my threshold will be overidden my mineral sounds ie salt then i just slow down , the targets really come thru any misc noise jimmy

Freshwater. Most of my searching will be on freshwater beaches that make my CTX nearly useless.
I spoke with Rusty at Garrett and he said because it's digital it has no fine adjustments and I could adjust the headset volume to lower the threshold.
My concern with that is not hearing the smaller or deeper targets so I need to do some tests to compare which nets the smaller deeper/smaller targets:
- silent threshold (6.5) with headset normal volume (or)
- louder threshold (7) with lowered headset volume

I have the same experience in fresh water. The threshold is either silent or loud. I did some testing and found that for me, it was best not to turn the headset volume down, so I usually go with the louder threshold.

In fresh water:
GB at water's edge
Try Auto frequency select
I find I can run between 6 and 8 with a slight threshold sound
Sensitivity to a maximum setting were I can tolerate the sensing of signals too small to find - some might call these signals falsing
I have the GG Amphibian headphones set to approximately 80% so I can increase the volume if needed, ditto with the ATX's volume
Resign to the fact that you are using a PI detector and it is near to impossible to set an ATX up to run with the constant threshold hum of a VLF detector.

Interesting... I am about to upload my first vids to my YouTube Channel using my ATX... I am hunting in heavy mineralization, on desert sand next to freshwater, I was hunting on the Virgin River Sandbars today and I have total threshold control at a very slight hum... I was running at 12 sens and 7-8 threshold and it was giving a smooth, clear hum. I haven't tried it in the water yet.