Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thruppence, Trinkets and Thunderbirds...

William-NM

Darn, it - it sure is hard to keep up with documenting all this jun-- er, uh, treasure! I had a bit of a surprise - my Jackalope, whom I had been calling Jack, turned out to be a Jackie. She delivered a litter of six little 'lopes! They're pretty cute when they're little, but breaking them in is about as much fun as herding cats, something else I know a little about.
Baby-Jackalope.jpg

It's a great hobby that we all share, but not without it's dangerous moments. We've all been there - you get a nice big iron signal and figure you're about to dig your 13th horseshoe or perhaps another '34 Pontiac. when WHOOPS - back away from the hole... your number just came up, and not in a good way.
surprise.JPG

The safest thing to do is to toss a handful of dirt over it & call your gullible hunting buddy over. Just ask him to check the signal with his machine. Odds are, he'll retrieve the hazardous find at virtually no risk to yourself.

One day last week, the weatherman was predicting a 100 deg. day, but I felt like getting a few swings in. I hadn't been up around Pinos Altos for a year or so, and it's a semi-ghost about 6 miles N. of here, plus a few more miles to a campground area that I hadn't detected. Just as I got up there, some dark clouds rolled in and it rained like mad for 20 or 30 minutes, finishing up with a little hailstorm. (We have a lot of micro-climates around here!). I was just getting out of the car when 2 young FS guys pulled over and said "Hey, Man, you better get your car out of there real quick, it's coming a BEEG FLOOD!!". As the creek had no flow at all, I made a leisurely job of moving my car out onto the main road. I was detecting in the rocky stream bed a few minutes later (earbuds firmly in place) when I felt a rumble and looked up the creek to see a wall of black water and logs rushing at me. I nimbly hopped up and out of the way, impressed by the medium sized boulders and tree trunks. About this time, I realized that I may have made a small tactical error by placing myself across the flood from my vehicle. Oh, well, on with the hunt & sure enough, a few hours later, I was able to safely rock hop across it. By the time I got the camera out, the initial excitement had moved downhill, but here are a few shots of the flood and area.
PA-Black-Water.JPG
PA-Flood.JPG

Dilemma.JPG
PA-a-pleasant-drizzly-day.JPG

I didn't find a lot up there, though I did dig an older military button from the Civil War or Indian Wars era (pic further down). I also found an old iron survey marker (broken in half - which I photographed and put back, of course). I also started finding pottery shards and glass, but the targets were scarce, aside from the usual iron hunting and mining relics. (This is the general area of the first gold strike in the area). I hit the tent sites and scraped up some tips that the campers had left for the housekeepers. I'll hit the area again, as there's a lot of ground to cover and I feel sure that there are some better finds to be had, and it's a nice spot to hang out in, even if I only get a few square nails. The stone walls are the old privy site.
PA-Privy.JPG
PA-Survey-Marker.JPG

The monsoons arrived right on time with the month of July, so we get frequent, but brief, afternoon showers. You can find me looking soggy, wearing a bovine expression on my face, but swinging along and appreciating the lack of dust and ash. It's a good time to hit the dreaded cliffs of broken glass, ash, and trash. Sometimes, 'ya make a nice eyeball find of a marble or three, along with the ground up bottles, jewelry and other nice trash. I pulled a nice fat silver thunderbird ring out of it recently, and a number of the older bottles, dog tag, chauffer's license, etc.
Thunderbird-ring-scale.JPG
marbles-1.JPG

Bottles-1.JPG
Bottles-2.JPG

Bottles-2-a.JPG
Bottles-4.JPG

Bottles;
Pic 1 - #1 "Omega Oil - It's Green",
Pic 2 - #1 "Orange Crush - Pat'd July 2, 1920" #2 "Murine Eye Remedy Co.", #3 "Campana's Italian Balm" #4 "Dr. Price's Delicious Flavoring Extracts", #5 "Evangeline Pepper Sauce, Made in St. Martinville, LA USA", #6 "Gebhardt Gold Eagle Chili Powder"
Pic 4 - #1 "The F.W. Fitch Co." (hair tonic)

Sometimes, those ugly coins get in the way of more important targets like rusty cans, so I dig 'em. Here's a 1941 English 3 Pence (hey, it could be worse, could be a tuppence!). The 1919 Merc was on the path where it could have bit me about a hundred times.
Coins-1-A.JPG
Coins-1-B.JPG

A silver dollar-size Boy Scout 'Good Deed' token (brass) also turned up. A nice addition to my scouting finds . :) It says "On My Honor I Will Do My Best - Be Prepared" / "Secretly transfer me to your right pocket each day when your good deed has been done."
Boy-Scout-Good-Deed-Token-a.JPG
Boy-Scout-Good-Deed-Token-b.JPG

The world could do with a bit more of that kind of thinking!

Here's a higher- value Timkin Rock Bits fob that I found at the same site:
Timken-Fob-a.JPG
Timken-Fob-b.JPG

I finally found one of the bank vaults said to have been lost and never retrieved during the big flood...
piggy-bank.JPG
piggy-bank-2.JPG

I put a call into Geraldo, but I guess he was getting his hair done. As it turned out, I didn't need a key, especially since there was nothing but gravel in it. I don't think much of the William J. Burns International Detective Agency, either, if they let their clients' treasure be carried off by the creek!

I've been out a few times with the primary goal of getting used to digging targets with my scoop and trying out the wetsuit boots. I haven't dug too many keepers, yet, but I'm getting better at scooping those stay-put(!) and beavertails up.
Silva-Creek-2.JPG
More-Brass.JPG

I did hit some NITRO the other day, though... (also shows the Thunderbird ring on my fat little pinkie)
Nitro-angle.JPG
Nitro-Side.JPG

Nitro-Edge.JPG
Nitro-b.JPG

Nitro-a.JPG

Too bad, looks like it was silver plated on copper. The stones must be CZ, not a hint of wear on them and they sparkle like the sun. <sigh>

John found a fishing lure, so I had to find one, too. :rofl: No idea what it's doing in our little 3" deep creek, heh. Speaking of John, here's what must have been his first attempt at a coin ring - it's a 2004 quarter, center cut out and edge pounded down. I just don't know why he'd drop it in one of our little parks...
fishing-lure.JPG
coin-ring.JPG

Though I haven't been getting out as much as usual (upper 90s, ick!), I have sneaked up to the thriving metropolis of Fierro a couple of times. It's always very hit-or-miss up there - not that much activity compared to more populated areas - but I like clomping around the hills and occasionally find a nice relic or coin. These aren't in that category, but there you are. :sadwalk:
Fierro-Gravestone-Rock.JPG
fierro-metropolis.JPG

Military-a.JPG
Military-b.JPG

The button is the one I found in Pinos Altos. The little round lead bullet, sword tip (?- thought I had an iron arrowhead for a minute when I found it), what used to be a horse bridle rosette (??), and the little mold (bullet?) were found next to the outhouse for the jail.

Oh, I did find a religious medallion at the end of a long, hot day of meager finds... The eagle was at a local park - it used to have a loop on it.
pendants.JPG

Hey, Tig - Wanna take a hike with me??? That's what I thought...
lazy-cat.JPG

Heres' the dog tag, chauffeur's badge, and a key fob that I'm still trying to claim the reward for :ranting:..... also, a couple of thimbles - one says "Hoover - Home - Happiness" , the other "American Home Life, Denver" I don't know if the Hoover in question was the politician or the vacuum cleaner, probably the latter.
tags.JPG
thimbles.JPG

Here's some headstamps, a few drops (small one is a Western Luger), hard to see compass, cartridge clips, lead bale seals...and the second photo of a couple of tie clips, as if!!
compass.JPG
tie-clips.JPG

While exploring an old homesite in the jungle :happy:, I happened upon this collection of slabbed green rocks (this is a small fraction, but hauling more than 20# of friggin rocks on the hike out (only a half mile, but ...) when it's well up in the 90's just wasn't on the menu. Some look like they could be jasper and I haven't ID'd the others. Serpentine? Olivenite? At first, I thought they might be from a building facade, but they're all different thicknesses and shapes - that implies that they were intended for cutting and polishing. I also found the one small cabochon which is polished. ????
into-the-jungle.JPG
rocks-1.JPG

rocks-2.JPG
rocks-3.JPG

And, once again, let's have a moment of silence for the brave timkeepers who gave their lives in service to the pioneers....
Watches-a.JPG
Watches-b.JPG

The one in the second photo is from a Charles Lindberg 'Spirit of St. Louis' commemorative. It says "New York to Paris" and the back and front have airplane images and city images. It had a plastic 'crystal'.

3 more rings, 2 junkers and a little Silver claddaugh, found in the park. Oh, yeah - the Duck. I found this little porcelain figurine, but the cart pusher was headless. Fortunately, I had an appropriately sized duck head, gorilla glue, and a dremel tool, heh.
more-rings.JPG
The-Duck.JPG

And, the rest:
Silverware.JPG
silverware-1.JPG

brass.JPG
Buckles-Pins.JPG

coins-2.JPG
Crap.JPG

ive-struck-iron.JPG
Iron-Man.JPG

license-plates.JPG
metal-melts.JPG

Silva-Creek.JPG
More-Brass.JPG

peace-pendant.JPG
radio-dial.JPG

Silver-Scrap.JPG

(a bit of silver scrap in the last photo and a little brass gnome or dwarf - Christmas pin I guess. Oh, and I was packing up in the rain from my last hunt up near Fierro, and my AT Gold which was leaning on the car, fell over (into the sand!) and when I picked it up, it's little head was dangling. So, I'm giving the AT Pro some well deserved attention for a week or 2 while the Gold vacations in Texas.

Best of Luck in the Hunt to ALL!!!

Lots of nice finds. My families history is deeply rooted in the areas you are detecting. My detecting brother and I, ( he passed away 3 months ago) always planned in returning to the area and detecting the old ranch along the Mimbres River. He had already obtained permission from many of the land/home owners for us. Then he got sick and the rest is history. I myself was born in Bayard.

Outstanding finds and pictures, William, just outstanding. To many fun, interesting and just plain ole neat finds to mention them all. So, I'll simply say again OUTSTANDING!

Yeah! You know you are in for an adventure with William NM when you click on his post and it takes an hour to load! Although all are amazing, this has to be one of your best posts to date Sir! You were on a roll, linguistically, creatively, superb pics and layout, oh, the finds too! A+++!:please:
Mud

William, fantastic reportage, as usual in you. :clapping:
I have no words (time to translate) to discuss so many interesting things. I think the museum should take a couple of football fields .... :rofl:
For if it is of interest to someone click here principles of intercontinental aviation. This landed close to home and the pilots used the phone to my great grandfather.I can offer little more.
thanks for sharing.

Great job again William! Interesting finds, thorough and witty descriptions, love the cat humor. Question: Do you use a magnet in the stream? I'm considering adding one to my arsenal but not sure what strength I should be looking for.
Thanks for an interesting read and HH to you.

Those gully-washers have obviously been occurring as long as we've been around and I would think both replenish and bury artifacts in the stream bed. Do they uncover new finds for you William?

Wow!! What an adventure! All that cool stuff...and the scenery! Beautiful! I'd like to know the story of that thunderbird ring. That is really a cool ring! Thanks for sharing!

That is a pile of finds .Congrats on the quantity and quality.

Man....what a great hunt! You don't post things in great quant6ity, however, the quality of your posts are uncontested. I think all of us can appreciate the time involved with presenting the photos for posting. You could probably open a museum with all your great finds, and beat what's already out there in New Mexico!

Excellent post bud:super:

Nice, nice...jeesum crow...nice! I envy your hunts! Don't ever stop posting but, move when the water comes in!

aj

Awesome William!!!:clapping::please: Those green slabs are sweet!! They would do nicely in a water fountain. And I'm with dgruff, the Thunderbird ring is "the cat's meow"!! And it seems Tigger knows just what to do when it's monsooning outside:biggrin:

Wandering Yoda said:
And I'm with dgruff, the Thunderbird ring is "the cat's meow"!!

Heck yeah! I'd be wearin' that sucker! Unless, of course, there was some bad mojo hanging around with it, lol.
It may not be the most expensive ring, but the cool factor on it is waaay, waaay up there :cool:

I hope somebody is saving William NMs posts in a portfolio!...that 2004 clad Q ring is a hoot! I suppose all of us should at least give that a try for giggles to see if we could do any better! :rofl: Oh well, at least somebody gave it a go!
Mud

Hi, Guys
Thanks for all the kind words!
Yesterday morning, I was replying to them when my computer went "frizzzzztttttt" and died. So, I did what any reasonable person would do; said a lot of really bad words, grabbed my AT Pro, and went out detecting.
Unfortunately, it was still dead when I got home. So, I'm on the little tablet for a while. Haven't decided whether to go for the $129 motherboard repair or get a new one. It's sure been a retrograde kind of week - first the AT Gold fell over and snapped off the shaft, then my 2 TB hard drive with all my music & movies croaked (I finally was able to get everything transferred over to a new 3 TB drive, whew!), and now this. I guess I'm not supposed to put that fancy new sound system in the car this month. Please bear with me for a little while - my fingers were not built for this little keyboard!

Ha, I've tried to peck a few lines on my wife's I Pad a couple of times when we were traveling. I finally decided anything I had to say could wait until I got home to my own setup. Yeah, William, you have had quite a week. Now you are due for a gold coin. :detecting: HH jim tn

You post some interesting finds and glad you were warned about the flash flood. Love the thunderbird ring, marbles, bottles and I'm looking forward to finding my first thimble, much less two of them. I like the mercury dime and the little toy gun. You sure find your share of watches. Congratulations.