Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:thumbdown:BDA. Got to agree w/you on Olympus. My SW770 dead. Great pics-- lousy water seals.

For a camera that supposed to water resistant, it certainly does not live up to its discription.
After being repaired twice already for the same thing and now out of warranty.
I decided to open it up, low and behold, corrosion and rust on the inside. Looks as bad as some of the coins in find in the water.
What a waste of $400.

Maybe someone knows of a better, proven model.

We have 2 of them and they get knocked around badly with no leaks. One is 4 years old and the other is 2 years old and not a bit of leakage in either one of them.

I don't think you can beat a Nikonos. They've been using them for many many years. Interchangeable lenses and all. They won't leak if you treat them properly. Sounds like you do. The next option is to purchase and/or modify a real underwater housing, for diving, and use it with your land camera. Only one camera that way.. It'll be a little bulkier and a little more careful preventitive maintenance but you can see in a heart beat if it's taking on water. Know of a guy who spent big $$ to have a custom housing made for his 21/4 format Hasseblad. The housing was aluminum, machined and welded, but the fabricator put brass screws in it. Brass is is used in saltwater right? Not when it's surrounded by aluminum. The saltwater aided the welding of the brass to the aluminum. It didn't leak but he had to have all the brass drilled out and re-tapped to take stainless bolts. Then...no problems. Brass and aluminum in saltwater was not an intuitive no-no to me until I heard/saw that story. Regards...Jim

you might want to contact Olympus, you have a history of repairs under warranty, by law in my state if it is the same complaint and there was an issue documented then they are to repair it as if it were under warranty. Check with your attorney generals office. May not be worth the trouble but, $400 is $400.
I have a cannon underwater camera, ikelite housing for a digital and a Nikonos V. The Cannon is a 35mm regular camera, 50 ft of depth, the ikelite goes down to recreational dive limits and the Nikonos is just great, bulky but great.

I agree Bobbie my Pentax optio w 30 has served me well. This is my third one, the first I dropped on the sidewalk and broke, the second had a bad battery that leaked. Both were replaced for free at Wal mart where i had purchased it.This one is a year old and has spent as much as 11 hours in the water one day. It has been in 72 degree water and salt water with no problems. It takes good pics. and has a 2 min. video and macro. Wal Mart for less than 300.00 . HH

My Olympus is a 720 SW.... on vacations last winter it leaked and was replaced by a new one. But since then, i never trusted it and didn't immersed it. I did bring it with me while wading, but kept it out of the water as mutch as i could.

Just had my 720 replaced under warranty with an 850, the 720 failed on it's first outing, battery leaked and water got inside...not good

There's a difference between being waterproof and water resistant. Not trying to be a wise guy, but when I looked up the cameras mentioned above, on-line, they talked about being safe to a depth of 13'. That's not a waterproof camera. If you're going to go 20-30 feet and want it to keep working you have to get a dedicated camera to take that ambient pressure or a case that will take the pressure. If you just don't want to worry about it when in the rain or when in your boat, etc., the 13' ers are fine. Any diving where you maintain the ambient pressure on the seals will require a camera designed to function like that. Again, the Nikonos is guaranteed to not leak. It's 35mm format and not digital. That may be a problem. Lot's of rumors that Nikon is going to put out a digital, but nobody has seen it yet. Regards...Jim

Both of my Olympus SW camera were only used for wading, as I like to take pics while in the water. (except for 30 seconds at 8' while snorkelling one time only) Both my Olympus SW (shock and water resistant) camera failed, the first just after the warranty expired and the second less than 6 weeks from the date of purchase. This is just unacceptable and I will never buy an Olympus again, not even if they paid me to take one.:rant: I'll probably go with the Pentax but I have to admit that the camera budget is eating into my detector budget.:nono:

Cheers,

BDA:cool:

Not sure what kind of underwater pics your taking. Check out www.goprocamera.com. I have a Hero3. Works great.