Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tick Repellent clothing

Hi Y'all , are any of you familiar with tick repellant clothing ? I'm more interested in those already prepped from the factory, than the "do it yourself " spray from a can kind, but would like to hear thoughts and info from everyone. I expect I will be using both products so all input will be helpful! HH, and Thanks, Charlie

After I picked up a case of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick bite in Wyoming, I bought some Permethrin concentrate from WalMart, and started treating my clothing. Haven't had a tick on me since. I also read somewhere there is a new product available that's easier to use but I can't remember the name. If I can find it, I'll post back here.
Jim

Thanks Jim, that is a really big help ! I'm thinking I will do the same thing instead of buying the really expensive factory treated clothing. I just needed to hear it from someone that's been there and done it! You are much appreciated! HH, Charlie

Glad to be of service, Charlie. Be careful with the Permethrin, and follow the instructions. If you like cats...keep them, away from it...they're especially susceptible.
Jim

Thanks Jim , for the warning about cats! I had read that already and will be even more careful now! Ole Spook is like one of my kids and I would be all by myself without him. HH, Charlie

I have used the permethrin and it does the job. Do Not Put the clothing on until they have dried completely. I always spray the clothing the evening before so that they are completely dry. You do not want to get permethrin on your skin while it is still wer.

Another method that I have used that is not recommended. In the past i would dust the inside of my pants with "Seven" dust. No ticks or chiggers dared to venture past the outside of my pants. Not a recommended use of Seven Dust but it sure did work.

I don't know of any ill effects that I suffered from using the Seven Dust as a tick/chigger repellent.

Hi George, and thanks for your tip about the 7dust. I've been using it for years on ole Spook. I went to buy some awhile back and found that it is no longer called 7 dust but is now called Garden, Pet & Livestock Dust. Made by Hi-Yield. Don't know the reason for the change but Its good to know when they take place. I think it had become so widely used on animals they had to make some adjustments in the name or maybe ingredients. I notice that when using the soak method for treating clothes with Permethrin it is supposed to soak completely through the fabric. So that would appear to me that when spraying, it should be ok to spray inside and out for full coverage with even a little extra at the cuff and waist. Just be sure it is all dry before wearing and you are good to go. Of course that uses more spray but when you consider the reason/ gain for all the trouble you have to realize it all well worth it! HH, Charlie

All I have ever done with the Permithin was just spray the outside of my clothing. Mosquitoes land on the clothing and die. Ticks, Chiggers, ETC also do not come crawling on your body.

What really makes me feel good about the stuff is hearing from y'all how good it works in repelling the critters! I really appreciate that, that's Cool! Just the thought of a tick on me gives me bad thoughts! I've had my share of them before but I live alone now and don't have my wife to give a helping hand if needed like before so I may tend to be a little energetic with the spray. I just want to be sure and do all I can to prevent them. HH, Charlie