Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ticks are bad already this year BEWARE

relics4plus

If you have been out in any fields yet you probably picked up some hitchikers. These things really bad already this year so check yourself really good.
Here is a good link for you to check out.
HH

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/ticks/article_em.htm

Yep thanks for the reminder Relics. Virginia has already indicated a record number of Lymes diseases so far this year; the deer ticks are just so small you hardly notice them. Turkey Hunting buddy of mine just found out after 2 years of testing he's got it and finally on antibiotics, but its after a lot of suffering on his end. Still waiting to see if any permanent damage has occured; he's older and many times the side affects morph into lifelong ailments.

I've pulled a few off myself and seen quite a few snakes out as well.....hopefully they don't carry this swine flu crap that our government has graciously allowed to enter our country with all these illegals free to take over.

I use the permethrin clothes treatment which is used by the military and will kill ticks when they get on your clothes. I wear long pants and tuck them into my boots and then tape it with duct tape. I have seen many ticks get on my shoes and pants only to fall off and die in a few minutes. Deet is almost worthless against ticks so try this clothes treatment and you will be surprised how well it works.

http://www.tickinfo.com/permethrin.htm

Regards,

VaRelics

Additional note: If you combine the Permethrin treatment on your clothes and gear with Deet on your exposed skin it is close to 100% effective against ticks and mosquito's. I have not had a tick bite since using this system and I venture deep into the woods this time of year. This is the Department of Defense approved Military treatment for soldiers. You don't want Lyme disease or any other nasty parasites these ticks carry!

Regards,

VaRelics

Thanks VARelics for the Permethrin advice; never heard of it but if it kill the little buggers I'm gonna get some.

ConfCav,

Make sure you treat your boots, pants, shirt and hat if you wear one. Also make sure your pants are tucked into your boots and your shirt is tuck in as well. The tick would have to make it to your head to find a meal and it only takes the tick to crawl 10 inches on your treated clothes to kill it. My new pass time while relic hunting is watching the ticks until they start to twitch and fall off. I had 5 on my boot at once and only one made it as high as my knee before keeling over.

http://www.rei.com/product/768970

Regards,

VaRelics

I have used it in the tropics and it worked 100% for me. I used DEET as a backup to. Thin of permethrin as a gun and DEET as a knife. Both work, the gun can work without being used. Lots of nasty things in the tropics that can make you sick or dead. Malaria, Japanese enchapalitis, Dengue or break bone fever, too name a few.

Hope you all stay tick free. We don;t have ticks or deer on the island where I detect.

VaRelics said:
My new pass time while relic hunting is watching the ticks until they start to twitch and fall off.

ROFL that'll give me something to do this weekend to occupy my mind while turkey hunting and waiting out the birds; gotta pass the time somehow. Hopefully I won't giggle too much when the little guys start to drop.:clapping:

The best is Permanone. Made by Coulston, their Duranon Permanone is 100% death to ticks and any other biting insect that comes into contact with it. Use ONLY on the outside of your shirt, pants and boots. NEVER inside or on skin. Let it dry (10 mins outside) before dressing. I use it here and in Africa. Something else for prevention (repel) would be to take vitamin B-1 during tick season. It won't kill them but it lessens the bites. For some it repels mosquito's as well.
GH,
David

Lyme is bad enough but ticks also spread Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. And the state with the highest incidence of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is....

North Carolina.

Permethrin products work well if applied properly. Remember ticks can drop on you from bushes as you grub for relics in woods, so don't assume they will always come from the ground up.

If you find one tick, chances are there are others. Have someone else check those areas you can't see. Some ticks are very small and will be felt crawling on your skin before they are seen.

Removing an attached tick needs to be done carefully. Otherwise you may leave part of the tick inside your skin.

If you are bit by a tick you need to know the symptoms of RMSF and Lyme. But even without symptoms it might be prudent to have your MD give you some drugs as insurance. Call your MD, tell them you were bit and see what they recommend.

Of course prevention is best. Apply treatments to clothes and use a repellent...check yourself as soon as you get back home...if any ticks are found contact a physician for advice on what to do next.

Not trying to scare anyone but ticks are an underrated danger to relichunters. While most are worried about snakes(with good reason) they forget that a tick can be deadly as well.

This is the little bugger that we have to fight off here in central Illinois. Not a real health hazard but man do those bites itch to high heavan! I use 100% DEET on exposed skin but still get a few on me. Those darned buffalo gnats are back in full force too. They like to go straight for the eyes and nose. Common vanilla extract seems to work better than anything else, just put some on a neckerchief and tie it around the neck. It lasts long enough to get the grass cut.
Some folks use Absorbine Jr. too with good results.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pccommonticks.htm

http://www.ento.okstate.edu/ddd/insects/blackflies.htm

I have seen it in their sporting goods department but the last couple of times they didn't have it. Not sure if they were out of stock or discontinued it. You can purchase it on line, I included a link in one of my earlier posts.

Regards,

VaRelics

And remember... they dont just bite you in the head. I've had four lodged in my back at once. Didnt even feel the buggers... girlfriend found and removed them.... Tortoise

One of my best friends has been feeling bad for nearly a year. Doctor's couldn't find out what was wrong with him. Last week he landed in the hospital with Lyme's disease. Evidently a tick bite caused it. Permanone your clothes! It will kill them if you use the right brand: Coulston's Duranon Permanone. Find it at Cabela's.
David