Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

TID or not TID, that is the question.......

Hombre

greetings fellow Tesoro fanatics..

.....As we all know, it has been anything but boring on this forum with all the debates about what direction Tesoro has taken with the introduction of the "new" OutLaw and whether Target ID detectors are better than non-metered detectors. My opinion is that I like and use both Target ID and non-metered analog detectors for different uses. In old occupied house yards around my hometown and another town close by, I like to use a metered detector to scout the yard for any deep and high conductor targets first, after all you are under the scrutiny of the homeowner who has just given you permission to 'detect' their yard. I cherrypick deep coin signals first, one of my favorites for this duty is an old Toltec ll that I have had for 17 years, if the homeowner loosens up a bit and we get along, I might get invited back again. There is one homeowner that owns an old historical home in this old 1871 railroad town close to where I live, and all I have to do is call him up on the phone and he gives me the go ahead to hunt. I have found everything from seated coins to merc dimes there and I always find something interesting.

....His backyard is a nightmare of square nails all over the place, and this is where I like to use a non-metered detector, the last visit there was with my new to me Eldorado

Hombre, I totally agree. I use both myself. Like you say, it depends on where you're detecting.

beephead

Myself I mainly tone ID hunt, I like mt GU very well since I got my hearing aid, but sometimes I do use my screen detector , but is all good as long as I'm detecting, hank

Seems to me that it used to be that there were analog detectors with fast response, and subtle, "organic" audio response, then there were digital detectors with meters and depth displays. However, I think the digital detectors are starting to incorporate some of the best features of the beep-and-digs.

I feel like I have found the perfect balance with my Garrett AT Pro. In Pro mode, it has a "tone roll" feature and proportional audio that can be used like a beep-and-dig first, then I can use the TID meter for additional information on conductivity and depth.

In other words, I use it in a similar way to my Cibola using audio response, but if I want I can notch parts of the VDI scale, get more information on my target AND I can hunt on land or underwater with the AT Pro. This is the kind of detector that gives the best of both worlds, and I believe this is the kind of thing Monte is talking about with regard to threats to Tesoro's bottom line.

Both detectors have there place, it's great to have TID when you need it and it's great not to have TID when you don't.
TID is not the must have accessory, it's just a tool that that can be used to assist the person digging. We don't really need it, but we do like to use it.
Les in the UK