Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tiger Shark bad rap in salt water?

:Left4Dead

Ok I live in Mn and we have more shore line and beaches than almost anywhere. So I'm covered here. But if I were to go on vacation and want to hunt the wet sand and or waist deep water it should be fine right.

I mean I'm sure Tesoro would test the machine before making hundreds of them? The question is have those who own one been able to just gb, and turn sens down and hunt with disc mode? This is how I would want to hunt. Low disc just about iron.

I just can't imagine them being that unstable and not usable, if you crank the setting down in the box. I just want to pour some salt in a frozen lake and try it. Lol

Mike

-12 Degrees here 2days ago.

The Tiger has a salt mode, just never tried it out, but can be used on dry land also. I have several Tesoro detectors and it has the fast reponse/quick recovery of it's land cousins. I use mine in fresh water lakes and it has paid for itself several times over in gold finds. Maybe sometime in the future, I'll get to go back to the Bahamas again, you can bet the Tiger will be tagging along. Everybody there(locals) wears gold jewelery.

I went down that road when i first got into beach detecting. I couldn't beleave that Tesoro would build and market a beach machine and it not work well. Even the magazine adds showed salt water beaches and underwater shots.

It worked in the dry sand "So does a F2". In the wet forget it. It just didn't get any depth. Falsed really bad. Freshwater i hear it's great. Well built and fun machine for sure. Just couldn't handle the salt i needed it to.

CIMG0608.jpg

CIMG0639.jpg

CIMG0673.jpg

The Tiger Shark will chatter alot in salt water but will still sound off on good targets I own my target shark since 2005 I loved it in fresh water but since I moved to virginia and use it on the salt water Iam not happy with on the beach sand it work very well

Ez,

Have tried adjusting the sens down, and all the way down it will still chatter? Also what beaches are you searching in?

Mike

Local saltwater beaches in the NE. Droping the sens down helped. Only getting a couple of inches in the low tide wet wasn't what i was expecting. I had given up on that machine going on 5 years ago.

Sad to say, the Tiger is just a dog in salt water. I wish they didn't even put a salt mode on it. You have to turn the sensitivity down so far its depth is almost worthless.

Sad to say it.

Right now Tesoro does not build a salt water machine with discrimination capabilities. I hope they do soon.

But the Tiger is great in fresh water!

Ok I decided to get the lowdown today so I called Tesoro and Spoke with Vince, he would know.:)

Here is the deal , the machine in DRY non- mineralized sand works fine, its also works fine in highly mineralized sand. Once you ground balance it of course.

It also works great in the water with NON mineralized sand.

But when you combine salt water and mineralized sand this is where its not the greatest. Understand the salt water is like a moving target, so if you turn up your disc and turn down sens she will work better. So while in the water it works best either 3 feet deep or out of the surf. Its tough on the in and out of the water with highly mineralized sand.

This detector is made primarily for Fresh water and for me that's exactly what I need, I would never want a PI detector with no disc up here in Minnesota, too many fish hooks.

So If your an occasional ocean hunter you may get by. But if you live by the ocean or are close and hunt it you need a Sand Shark!

That all she wrote.

Mike

Just calling it as it is...freshwater unbeatable for gold jewelry...saltwater be prepared and take some excedrin for the headache as it will chatter.....

Seems like mult frequency or PI units excell in this enviroment.....

Left4Dead said:
... so if you turn up your disc and turn down sens she will work better ...

OK ... So here is my experience with single frequency detectors that do not ground balance to wet salt water sand or to the salt water (have not had a Tiger Shark, but would bet it fits).

They will loose depth over the wet salt environment.

The best tune I've found across several detectors that do not ground balance to the wet salt that I've tried at the beach is to:
-ground balance to the dry area near the wet salt area you are approaching and leave the ground balance setting there.
-set discriminator at the high end of iron range.
-trade off reducing sensitivity and slightly increasing discrimination until any chattering and falsing is acceptable.
-discrimination higher than mid-foil range is more than needed to compensate for the salt, all you are loosing now by going higher is more gold.

If you have a detector that ground balances to the wet salt, even when it streaks to black sand, if you can stay on top of keeping it ground balanced to what the coil is over, it can keep detecting to decent depths.

I don't know of a Tesoro VLF detector that ground balances to the wet salt.
tvr

tvr said:
Left4Dead said:
... so if you turn up your disc and turn down sens she will work better ...

OK ... So here is my experience with single frequency detectors that do not ground balance to wet salt water sand or to the salt water (have not had a Tiger Shark, but would bet it fits).

They will loose depth over the wet salt environment.

The best tune I've found across several detectors that do not ground balance to the wet salt that I've tried at the beach is to:
-ground balance to the dry area near the wet salt area you are approaching and leave the ground balance setting there.
-set discriminator at the high end of iron range.
-trade off reducing sensitivity and slightly increasing discrimination until any chattering and falsing is acceptable.
-discrimination higher than mid-foil range is more than needed to compensate for the salt, all you are loosing now by going higher is more gold.

If you have a detector that ground balances to the wet salt, even when it streaks to black sand, if you can stay on top of keeping it ground balanced to what the coil is over, it can keep detecting to decent depths.

I don't know of a Tesoro VLF detector that ground balances to the wet salt.
tvr

That sounds very close. Vince also mentioned that I should ground balance over the dry sand first in normal mode , then switch to salt mode, turn up disc to around foil and turn down sens. Good thing I will only rarely ever use it in salt water, because I live in MN no seas here?

Mike