Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tiger shark - Excessive Chatter

I have been using my Tiger shark for several months now and it has worked great so far. The last couple of weeks it has started acting more sensitive. It chatters like crazy which makes it hard to pick out subtle signals. When I first got it I had to turn the sensitivity down as it chattered a lot, but since the adjustment I haven't had any trouble with it.

Anyone have any suggestions on anything to look for? I have cleaned out the coil cover. The only other thing I can think to try is to lower the sensitivity some more. I don't want to turn the sensitivity down too much. I just can't understand why it would have changed.

Coil gone bad ???

Hi again panther

Try all-metal fast and check your G/B.........you can run it just a hair positive as the coil approaches the ground. If you have any more questions you can shoot me a PM, I doubt it is a coil problem. And, I would not lower the sensitivity any more, just loses depth that way.

Randy

Hey Randy.

I have adjusted the ground balance positive and negative and it doesn't make any difference. Funny thing is earlier this year when I first started using it I got a lot of chatter out of it, but then it quit. Worked fine until last weekend.

The only other thing I can think is the salinity may be increasing in the river I hunt and that is causing the chatter. I live on a tidal river that is normally fresh, but can get salty when it doesn't rain for awhile which has been the case the last few weeks.

At any rate it is frustrating as I had gotten very good with this machine and found some nice things. Now the only signals I can make out are the shallow hard hitting ones.

I am thinking of sending it to Tesoro and let them check it out.

Hi panther

Well.......... if you send it to Tesoro I think they will treat you right, hope it's not the coil connector, don't think Tesoro has got that part into production yet. I've had my Tiger Shark going on ten years and never had a problem with it. I run my ground balance neutral most of the time, that is, the threshold remains the same as coil is lowered to the ground. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Randy

pamlicopanther said:
Hey Randy.

I have adjusted the ground balance positive and negative and it doesn't make any difference. Funny thing is earlier this year when I first started using it I got a lot of chatter out of it, but then it quit. Worked fine until last weekend.

The only other thing I can think is the salinity may be increasing in the river I hunt and that is causing the chatter. I live on a tidal river that is normally fresh, but can get salty when it doesn't rain for awhile which has been the case the last few weeks.

At any rate it is frustrating as I had gotten very good with this machine and found some nice things. Now the only signals I can make out are the shallow hard hitting ones.

I am thinking of sending it to Tesoro and let them check it out.

I used one at the ocean here in NJ and was able to GB it to run smooth so I would think its not the rising salinity if your GBing it correctly. Otherwise it sounds like your sens is to high or your hunting at a level where that waterproof connector on the back of the control box is just at water level. That always made my Tiger and a Stingray II I had act up. I mean at a height where the control box is just in and out of the water. under water no problem but at that one place mine used to act up. I calmed it down a bit by wrapping it with some stretch tape.
I would dunk the control housing in water, then take it out and unscrew the coil cable connector and see if any water is leaking into that connector.
Also each place I hunted I had to readjust the sens, which is the one reason I dont have a Tiger anymore. Tesoro puts that control back on the control panel like with the first stingray and I would get another.

Actually that was my next thing to do. It has been awhile since I changed them, but I am getting 5 to 6 good beeps when I turn it on so I thought they were fine.

I will check into that too. I am hunting in about knee deep water and the level is still about a foot below the control box (I have mine mounted under my arm).

That is my biggest complaint with the Tiger Shark too. Where I hunt I do hit streaks where the ability to quickly adjust the sensitivity would be great to have

pamlicopanther said:
That is my concern - Something with the connector that can't be fixed right now. I would hate to miss my first summer of water hunting.

Good news, Tesoro can replace the control box connector if that's the problem. The connector they are having trouble with is the one on the coil.

firstbiggestmost said:
pamlicopanther said:
That is my concern - Something with the connector that can't be fixed right now. I would hate to miss my first summer of water hunting.

Good news, Tesoro can replace the control box connector if that's the problem. The connector they are having trouble with is the one on the coil.

to firstbiggestmost: Isnt the coil hardwired? that swirly thing on the top of the coil is just a flex fitting so the cable wont bend over to far and break wires.

pamlicopanther: mine used to false when water would wash up over the aluminum ring that tightens down the upper end of the coil cable to the control housing. That was about waist deep or so for me, I had my control housing set under the rod in front of the arm cuff. hopefully thats all it is for you.

Neil said:
firstbiggestmost said:

to firstbiggestmost: Isnt the coil hardwired? that swirly thing on the top of the coil is just a flex fitting so the cable wont bend over to far and break wires.
quote]

Neil, I'm not exactly sure because I haven

No problem - You aren't hijacking. The more information shared means more help to try and find my problem.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does CSC stand for?

So have coil leaks been a problem for the Tiger Shark and Sand Shark? I know my problem isn't at the control box as I have it all through the water.

firstbiggestmost said:
Neil said:
firstbiggestmost said:

quote]

pamlicopanther said:
No problem - You aren't hijacking. The more information shared means more help to try and find my problem.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does CSC stand for?

So have coil leaks been a problem for the Tiger Shark and Sand Shark? I know my problem isn't at the control box as I have it all through the water.

Sorry for abbreviating through the whole post, CSC stands for Clean Sweep Coil. It's the 3x18 coil and I use mine on the Sand Shark some times.
I don't think coil leaks are a common problem at all for the smaller Tesoro water coils since they are pressure tested before being sold. Leaks may be slightly more common for the CSC but it would just be a manufacturing defect, if it did leak, the company will make good on its product in my experience. HH.

Neil said:
firstbiggestmost said:
Neil said:
firstbiggestmost said:

quote]

I never thought you were lying or making up stories, sorry if you took it that way.

Today I opened up my shark to see if I could pinpoint my problem. I decided to play with the sensitivity. Surprisingly it was almost to the maximum setting. I didn't realize I had it set that hot. Not sure why it didn't always chatter. I turned it down just a little and it made a huge difference. While I was in there I put a new o-ring in it and fresh lube (probably way too much - Can you put too much?)

Now she is running smooth and I can make out those subtle quacks I have learned to listen for with the tiger shark. Got out in the river today and had a great time though it was too hot.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help. This is a great forum.