Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

tiger shark on land

grumpy

Does anyone use a tiger shark for land and park type coin hunting along with water hunting?? I need to get another water machine for the beaches but I need to be able to have it work for parks too?? I dont want to ruin a land machine in the salt water atmosphere. Any input appreciated.
jim

As far as depth goes, on land it is probably one of the deepest detectors out there in all metal mode with a slight threshold. 10" dimes in my mild ground are no problem. If you are a dig it all guy the Tiger is great. If you want to use disc, it is another story. The disc circuit is not like your normal land machine disc. It is very hard to disc. out a pulltab without turning the disc. almost all the way up. Doing so you will loose some depth. In the water the disc. is usually set around 2 to get rid of most nails and small iron. This detector is extremely sensitive so on land you would have turn the disc up to the point you could tolerate the amount of digging you want to do. The Tiger loves bottle caps and they can be hard to disc out also. This is probably the best VLF detector you can get for freshwater, NOT saltwater. I was in your shoes this spring and purchased the Tiger for water and figured I would use it for land also. I ended up buying a Silver uMax to do the land work. I like to land hunt with disc. turned up to eliminate most trash and concentrate on silver and the clad that comes with it. Ther is really no water detector that also makes a great land detector. In the long run you are better off with a dedicated water detector and a dedicated land detector. You can get a Silver uMax for land for about $250 or a Compadre for $160.

All that being said, my friend uses his Tiger on land all the time. He digs it all and has made some really great finds. In reality you don't dig it all as the tone can usually give an indication that the target is not round like a coin. Odd shaped items get raspy at the begining or end of the tone. A coin or ring or something nice and round will give a clean signal from two swing directions that are nintey degrees from each other. This would include bottlecaps. Tesoro makes a hip mount pouch for the detector box so that is much lighter to swing. It would be considered heavy for a land machine.

Can it be used for both? Yes, it can but in my book it is not ideal. I will say though that if I ever wanted to dig everything deep with no disc, the Tiger in all metal mode would be my choice.

One thing for sure though, as far as a freshwater detector the Tiger is one incredible detector.

I love my Tiger Shark for both but i dont have any salt water near me so its perfect. HH Lasrence

it would be nice to see it in a lighter housing, crap 10' on a dime in all metal is deep i would love that thing .

lawbambam said:
I love my Tiger Shark for both but i dont have any salt water near me so its perfect. HH Lasrence

HH Lawrence (not Lasrence)

kaolinwasher said:
it would be nice to see it in a lighter housing, crap 10' on a dime in all metal is deep i would love that thing .

And that is a test garden that is less than one year old. With soil all disturbed none of the detectors that has hit my test garden have gotten by 6". This thing would be right up your alley.

I detected in Virginia beach for 3 years and used the Tiger Shark at the beach on dry sand it work very well. when you get on wet sand and near the water it will chatter a Lot but will still give a strong signal on targets JimNCNY