Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

time ranger iron detection

bodecriscio

Looking for info why my unit(time ranger) often detects large iron objects as a coin in the upper range even when in disc. mode with all iron rejected. I know that lots of items can fool machines but wondering if it's a defect or can be programed better so iron isn't detected at all or at least not identified as a coin. Thanks, Bob

Large iron will register in the highest range - no detector is immune from this issue, some worse than others. Use pinpoint to tell the size helps

I see that was your first post. Welcome to the forum.

It's not uncommon for large ferrous/iron objects to give false positives as a good conductive target, even on more expensive machines.

I remember many yrs ago when I got back into detecting, using a BH Platinum, I encountered the same situation. I got a reading of a dime at 2". Several minutes later, and in the hole I dug almost as deep as my elbow, up comes a flattened can, my dime at 2". I quickly learned to raise the coil slightly, if the reading remained a dime at 2", with the coil now four inches above the ground, it was most likely a large piece of trash. Same thing with some iron pieces. The VDI may show a desirable conductive target, but if you slightly raise the coil, or approach the target from a different direction, the numbers can change or get jumpy. If you encounter a solid coin VDI at a reasonable depth, if you raise the coil an inch or two, the VDI usually remains solid, your depth reading would change. By changing the approach angle, or heighth of the coil, the resulting jumpy or solid VDI can tell you a lot.

With experience on the machine, those little tricks or telltale signs to look for, will become more apparent. Good luck. HH

I remember reading an article years ago that stated by having 'iron' notched in(accepted) that your metal detectors circuitry can identify iron better. This article was called 'iron rejection with slow motion discrimination' by Larry Woolis. The metal detector mentioned in the article was the Teknetics Mark 1. If the Mark 1 had the discrimination set below 'iron',it gave a low tone or grunt on iron. If set above iron--iron would identify higher--like in your case.
My big bud pro did the same thing as your situation. Identifying iron on the meter as 'good' or all the way to the right. Especially at a construction site with rusty spikes. The only 2 brands of metal detectors I know that do a better job identifying iron is the Compass 13.77 khz metal detectors and Minelab multi frequency metal detectors.

Thanks, I really enjoy this type of forum/web page that gives insight into how detectors "see" and what real life detecting is like rather than only showing fantastic finds(which are nice motivation).

I use a BH LRP and if it tells me it is a penny/dime at two inches. I will dig for two to three inches and if it is still in the hole. Chances are it is a piece of metal.