Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Time Ranger mods

Ed in SoDak

My wife, Sandy and I own a couple earlier Time Rangers. We discovered that there is a small but constant drain on the batteries, due to the "soft" power switch. A tiny portion of the circuitry is always on, waiting for you to press the power button. In about a month's time, it would be enough to run the batteries down. As a result, we always unclip at least one side of the both battery clips after each hunt. Besides the wear and tear, it's a bother fumbling around with them.

So I finally opened my unit up and added a separate power switch. I used a DPST switch to keep each battery electrically separated. While I was at it, I also put a volume control in-line with the speaker leads. It doesn't affect headphone volume, but it would be easy to wire it that way instead. We don't hunt with headphones, so I left that as-is.

I shoulda done this ages ago!

-Ed

about a year and a half ago I was pretty well caught up on learning my current detectors at the time and I wanted to pull the trigger on a TR (since I was totally "ignant" of the TR's andd LR's) that I couldn't see straight. But because I really can't see small near stuff well any more and knew I'd have problems seeing the TR display, I stopped myself. (this was no easy feat, believe me!) So I've always been curious about it. What can you tell me about it's performance? I see Dave and some others refering to running changes. What do you know about those? Have they changed over to SMT since yours was made?