Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Time Ranger Questions

Gene

I have looked over the manual for the TR and have a few questions that
those with experience may be able to help me with.
1. Say you get a foil reading of 10. Sweeping from all directions would that
reading change at all if it's trash depending on how the coil goes over it ?
Would it tend to lock on to a round target and read about the same from all
angles if it was the only target under the coil ? Maybe hoping for too much
on this one. Obviously I never used a TR.
2. If you were just to use the I.D. numbers as an indication to dig or not.
How much variance in numbers would you consider to be a worthwhile target ?
4-5 numbers ?
3. For pinpointing, you just tap the all metal smart trac pad ? Don't have to hold it ?
Are you able to size a target in pinpoint to keep from digging larger than coin sized
targets ? The TR must be a good pinpointer I am thinking.
Any help you could give me sure would be appreciated. Just trying to sort it out.
Thanks in advance for your time in reading this. Gene

Your readings can change a little depending on if it's a coin size object, and how it is positioned in the ground. The numbers are great to get a good idea on what kind of metal it is, but can fool ya if other metals are present also. Corrosion can throw you off too.
Remember. Most of today's coins are not pure silver. As a rule of thumb, for me anyway. I will dig all objects that don't register as iron. And even then sometimes I will dig if I get an iron reading depending on how the size registers and the beeps sound.

As for the all metals mode. I love this mode. Just press the all metal smart trac once. You don't have to keep the coil moving which is great. As you slowly move the coil back and forth over the target, listen (use headphones) closely to the sound. As you move closer to the target, the sound will become broader, or more profound. As you move away from the target, it will become less profound. The best way I guess it to say is it become "thicker."
What I do here is when the sound become most profound, and then just after the sound starts to change, stop the movement of the coil and press the all metal smart trac again then move back towards the target. Using this method you will pinpoint the object within less that 1/2 inch. Takes a little practice getting use to this, but it works great!
Take a coin and practice on that until you have a good feel on how the sound changes.
Sometimes if your to close to the target and you press the all metal smart trac, you will lose the sound all together. Not a big deal. Move the coil 6 inches or more away from the target and press it again. Then you will get the sound back and you can try again.

If you hold the all metals smart trac to long, you will go into a ground balancing mode, and will get a stream of continues beeps meaning it's ready to ground balance. If you hear this you need to let go of the button. Turn off the MT and then back on. It will go back to the default ground balance for most soils.
So don't hold the button very long to use the pinpointing mode, just press and release right away.

Thanks Drummerman. That was an excellent and detailed explanation.
Just what I was looking for. I was thinking that the Time Ranger sure has
a lot of nice features that I could use in a lightweight design. Don't own
a TR but am considering one. Digging all targets that don't register as iron
is a great point too as you said. Many times I have gone that route and been
well rewarded for the effort. The all metals mode is something that i would like.
Just press and release. That's a big point with me as I hunt in the Winter where
my hands would dry out and the skin would start to crack, especially on my
pinpoint thumb. What a pain to press that pinpoint pad and hold it on other
detectors. Yeah, press and release...that's for me. Was thinking that it might
be that way by looking at the manual. Thanks for confirming that for me.
I hunt jewelry on sports fields so I am used to digging in the trash. That's
why I asked about the readings. Mostly to cut down on some of the more
common trash items. Just trying to make the odds a little better. Sounds
like you have a lot of TR experience Drummerman and I appreciate your
response. Now getting within 1/2" in pinpoint is mighty fine. That's a strong
point if I ever heard one. Thanks again for your explanations Drummerman.
I sure do appreciate it. Good hunting to you ! Gene