Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Time to dispel the latest myth.....

Art (NWOH)

Bobbing the coil and adjusting the sensitivity in discriminate mode IS NOT ground balancing.
It is simply a method of adjusting sensitivity so that it will not be set too high and cause nulling due to excess ground mineral .
Iron nulls from excess sweep speed and/or too high a sensitivity setting are a kind of false.....the detector is not analyzing the ground properly and will not perform at it's best.

The ONLY ground balance adjustment is done in all metal tracking.

HH

I have been reading this for a while on the bobbing of the coil and wondered how many were thinking they were trying the ground balance as there is no ground balance in disc on the Sovereign as it don't need it like other detectors do, I am not even sure this bobbing makes a difference as I have never tried it myself, but will when able to get out in the spring so I can see for myself.
Almost everywhere I go I can run manual sensitivity at the 10-11 o'clock position and adjust my sweep speed to the ground I am in. There has been a few places where I had to go as low as the 1 o'clock position or auto, but never lower than the 1 as i will go to auto. Auto is also recommended for those new to the Sovereigns as it makes learning it a lot easier as it will run smoother so a person can understand the tones better.

Thanks for posting this Art as I am sure it going to help many that are getting to know the Sovereigns and save many from selling them too soon or not at all.

Rick

Can I send anyone some cold weather as it is a -10 right now in ND, but don't need any snow to trade for.

This is just a quick way to set your sensitivity in discriminate mode for different ground conditions. Takes less than a minute and you know your sensitivity is set for maximum depth for that particular ground. It works great if you live in an area that has high mineralization and your ground varies from site to site like mine.

The dirt around here is generally yellow clay under various amounts of topsoil. The bobbing method with the ground's iron content yields about the same setting for sensitivity as my usual method does (Andy Sabisch method ...or close to it). In some areas where the iron content is very low, the sensitivity can be turned to max without any nulling or other falsing. HOWEVER...turning up sensitivity this high will lose depth just like it would in the iron areas.

I end up with my max possible sensitivity setting to be 12 o'clock for the GT and 11 o'clocl with the 2a. They would both be the same but the knobs are indexed about 1 hr different.

Sensitivity often must be decreased below this "peak" setting because of noise and trash. Yes,....peaked sensitivity....not maxed out sensitivity setting.

HH

There is no myth here Art. It was explained. I recall one person asking if it was the same as ground balancing in all metal. This is just a tip that has worked for me in bad ground when hunting for deep coins. People are free to try it to see if it works for them or dismiss it. As I stated there are probably other methods that might work the same or better. This is just one.

If I remember correctly and my memory is not that great Andy's method is to start hunting and try to find a deep coin signal and then start playing with the sensitivity to get the best signal response? If the bobbing method as you stated in your experience ends up with a sensitivity setting being about the same as Andy's method then why not take a minute and setup your detectors sensitivity correctly from the start. You can always fiddle a bit more with the sensitivity if you like once you find a deep target to compare. The bobbing method is just a starting point for "peak" performance and can be adjusted lower depending on the site and swing speed.

You find the sensitivity setting that gives the best response on a weak target.....no matter where the pointer on the sensitivity knob ends up.

Just don't do it on an iron target.

HH

I hear that. When I'm hunting in thick iron I run my sensitivity lower or even in auto regardless of where the sensitivity setting ends up being once I set it up in a clean area.

There is a point that excessively strong iron (or other trash) response masks out good targets. Hunting the area at two or three different sensitivity levels can pay off when the good targets can peek through the trash response when the sensitivity is set just right.

There are no hard and fast rules....
Every target needs to be played by ear. Each is going to somehow be different from the others. A little brain power is required to keep from overlooking the good stuff.

HH

Art (NWOH) said:
Bobbing the coil and adjusting the sensitivity in discriminate mode IS NOT ground balancing.
It is simply a method of adjusting sensitivity so that it will not be set too high and cause nulling due to excess ground mineral .
Iron nulls from excess sweep speed and/or too high a sensitivity setting are a kind of false.....the detector is not analyzing the ground properly and will not perform at it's best.

The ONLY ground balance adjustment is done in all metal tracking.

HH

Well said Art:beers: