Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tin Foil

Pap

You are correct! With the discrimination set at minimum and the threshold cranked up the Golden has really good depth! The only thing the tones aren't correct on deep targets such as dimes and quarters. I am guessing that is the nature of the beast as the unit has just returned from Tesoro. What's your take on this?
Pap

Howdy Guys

I've noticed the same phenomenon {yes,i had to look this word up} useing different metered {analog&digital} detectors. After many years and thousands of hours listening to the audio of various targets at depth, I rely on the target audio first,and look at the meter only for gigles and grins. Meters are fun,but don't trust them,you could be walking past a great find. Like the time I was at an old house yard,I was running my old Toltec ll and got this signal that sounded sweet. I looked at the meter and it read iron-foil on it's analog dial,it sounded good so I dug it up. It turned out to be a nice V nickle. It didn't read nickle till it was out of the hole.
Another time I was in a different old yard,useing the same detector,I got this faint,almost whisper of a signal,if a truck had driven by I would have never heard it kind of signal.I knew from the sound it was a good target. Looking at the analog meter,the Toltec ll said it was screwcap, but I knew different. I turned on the all metal switch and it's signal was'nt all that strong, then I looked at the depth reading on the dial and it was reading 7 plus inches. I smiled to myself, thinking that this just maybe a seated dime. So I hit the ground,pulled a 4 inch plug, and run the detector back over the hole. The meter was reading upscale now and the signal was much louder. It turned out to be a nice condition seated liberty dime, it was dated 1876, Philladelphia mint, a common coin. But it was treasure to me. I won't comment on the depth of coin, but it's depth was impressive.HH.............Hombre

The good targets were solid responses but dropped down into the lower tones. Lesson learned.
Pap

Yea, I have noticed the same thing with TID detectors and the VDI responses. After a certain depth they become useless. Sometimes the Tone ID can help but not always. It is a "phenomenon" for sure! Dig it or you'll never know for certain.
Pap

I had a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.

It did that. The deeper the target, the deeper the tone, and a lower segment on the display.

I think that all my Tesoro discriminators do that also.

Like I posted yesterday, this was low iron on the discriminator on my Vaquero.

5-4-5.jpg

I did mot say it in those words yesterday. But it was so deep that it went away with any
rotation of the disc knob at all.

One contributing factor may be that if the disc knob is turned clockwise, depth is lost.

If it's at the deepest the machine can detect without discrimination, turning the knob would
loose the target.

Even silver can do that.

To me having a multi tone or an id detector would be like having a car that had a faulty gas gauge (might work sometimes and might not work other times). Just doesn't seem very handy to me, but of course we all are different & all like different things. Give me a single tone detector like the Silver uMax and I am a happy camper. Steve.

That my tones also mix with the next one down on a deep target but still maintain the original tone just weaker and mixed. Like the 9" dime on edge it will high tone but weak. Now raise the coil a couple of inches and it will give the high tone Zinc combo. Remember JB and me telling you guys that the Golden has more then just the 4 tones. Iron,nickle, zinc and copper and above high tone. You also get the hi/Zinc, zinc/nickle,nickle/foil and foil/iron. Now the foil/iron will hit on filigree gold very small chains and gold earing studs depending on how large it is. They are a mix of the foil/iron tone telling you that the target is above the iron tone. I have dug a lot of small gold with that tone. With regular head phones have a very hard time pulling out the tones. I use the Timber wolf head phones and they are great. One thing to remember if you very the notch width knob with the notch switch centered you can very the tones a little. I have found if I run my Golden notch width knob at the 1 0clock or 1:30 position (I have a mark I put the knob on) that gives me the different clear audio tones. I run the threshold at 1 or 2 O'clock and on a deep smooth audio target no matter what the tone is I then thumb the threshold knob all the way Clockwise and it will not only increase the loudness of the tone but the audio on the target will increase. One other thing to remember is that smooth sweet audio that a good target will give. The Golden is a sweet machine you just got to spend a little time playing around with it and it will reward you well and it will save you a lot of time digging. I am sorry I did not get back to you sooner but Honey Doo's have to be done to keep the peace and then I can hunt when ever and where ever I want. You know what they say, "When Mama Ain't Happy, Ain't No Body Happy". :rofl: . :D: :D: Just remember to thumb the Threshold wide open and it will help on the audio and get a good st of head phones that will give you the different tone separations. You will be really surprised at the performance of the machine with them. Later Bud, Jerry aka Tinfoil

that is what kept me busy most of today. Now I'm finished and it is getting ready to rain...

I have to try your method...
"One thing to remember if you very the notch width knob with the notch switch centered you can very the tones a little. I have found if I run my Golden notch width knob at the 1 0clock or 1:30 position (I have a mark I put the knob on) that gives me the different clear audio tones."

Much as I hate to do it I guess I need to spend the money for the Timber Wolf head phones. It is a fun detector, no doubt!
Thanks for the help!
Pap

I have found all detectors pretty much do that. It make sense to hunt with low discrimination but the faint signal will often go away if you try to increase the discrimination to determine the target.
Pap

don't forget to mention!..honey do's also keep the red flag from flying!

(h.h!)
j.t.

even the "best" analog dtectors!..(xl-pro,mark #1,coin scanner)..will GENERALLY only be accurate down to say 6" or so!..after that,the "only meter worth a s*** is the one between your ears!

tab!..you are correct!..at that point you must cross-circuit into all metal to continue to "keep the signal captured!"

(h.h!)
j.t.

I just had mine converted to tone ID and love the hell out of it. Where else can you get a detector that will ID in 5 different modes. TR/Mineralization mode, TR mode, Dis. Mode, Norm Mode, and SAT. Mode. Now mine will Tone ID in all of them. It has the best lock on anolog meter made. One of the best trash machines I ever owned wheather you are in the iron or the regular trash. Just put it in the Sat. Mode and smoke them coins. I won't own a detector that will only ID at 6"s. Down here if you ain't digging 8+"s you might as well go home. There are two modes I hunt in SAT. and the TR/Mineralization mode (Page 28 of your Manual). I very seldom if ever hunt in the Dis. mode. Tell me one detector that will ID in 5 modes of operation. I am lucky down here the mineralization is about 55 to 60 on a 100 scale and that is what I consider Moderate. It does have a tendencey to ID a little higher on a very deep target but that is better then dropping ID numbers. So I guess I don't have the 6" problem. If I did It would not be here at my house. I just don't have any use for a machine that works like that. Now that mine has the tone ID it is 10 times better. So I agree the best discriminator is inbetween your ears but, if you have a great machine it makes it so much better and so much easyer do'nt you agree. Ran the XLT for 6 years, ran the DFX for 5 and My 6000XLPRO will smoke them both coil for coil. The Xlt did run deeper then the DFX and I liked it better then the DFX for my area and my kind of hunting. HH :D: :D: Jerry aka Tinfoi

Howdy Tin-foil........

Well...........Er ..........I mean I just might have a 6000 PRO XL myself. I'd like to hear in person what that modified PRO XL sounds like. Maybe we could meet on neutral ground someplace like the St. Louis get together next fall, and swap detectors for a few min's. I'm new at posting on the internet, cause I'm kind of a redneck. Heck when I first started detecting 14 yrs. ago{ You probably have more than twice that amount of time in the field } I never even heard of the internet much less a forum dedicated to the art form of Detect'n. Just a Ramblin. Ya have a good day..............Hombre

n/t

hi jerry!
i wasn;t referring to YOUR 6000 pro xl!..everyone knows you have a SUPERIOR detector there!..you got yours "super tuned" from ken white hisself!..just kiddin'' with you!..i must have been on sumthin' when i made that post!..absolutely innaccurate!..i owned a pro!..i should know!..yes the little guy WILL get down 8" or so on a dime!..i've done it myself!..best analog meter ever built because it WILL id deeper than most!..my apologies for a very misleading,and WRONG statement!

(h.h!)
j.t.

n/t