Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tiny brass auger (War of 1812 tavern site)

Hi all,

No idea what this is, what it was used for (carpentry maybe?) or how old it is, but I dug this little brass thumbscrew-type auger on my War of 1812 tavern site. Could be late 1700s on up thru 1900's, but I'm guessing based on its patina that it's pre-1880s... could be wrong. Diameter of auger portion is about the same as a US dime. Part of the auger, or maybe even most of it, looks to be broken off. Thumbscrew end of it is about perfect for turning between thumb and forefinger. Doesn't seem to be a stopcock or plumbing related, since it's augured. If it was used for carpentry or maybe furniture making, don't know why brass instead of iron/steel.

Thanks in advance for any help! Happy hunting!

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 141
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 139
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 135
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg