Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tips for avoiding tiny foil?

abcoin

One thing I still struggle with periodically is differentiating between tiny pieces of aluminum foil and deeper conductive targets.

Anyone have tips for telling the difference between the two? The Deus is good at picking though iron, but non-ferrous junk is harder to deal with.

Need to know what settings you are using. And when you say tiny pieces, do you mean wadded up gum wrappers or smaller/thinner?

If you can scrape away about an inch of soil, the tiny pieces will move. Lowering frequency makes a big difference and sometimes if you sweep real slow the foil signal will waver a bit.

Lately I've been using a variation of the "High Performance" program from Andy Sabisch's book:

Freq 11 (or 14 with the HF 9.5" coil)
Iron vol 2
Reactivity 2
Audio resp 4
Notch 00-00
Disc 0
Sens 92
Silencer 1
Audio Overload 1
Full tones

Full Tones will allow you to hear the wavering sound of foil and can slaw. Try to determine size and shape of the target. Foil needs to be large size to put out a strong signal. Learn what a ring-sized target signal looks/sounds like. Foil not round shape and has to be bigger in size to get the same signal strength. Lift coil off the foil target and signal should drop out very rapidly. Try increasing the sweep speed and it should breakup. Foil is usually not deep. Get practice with the XY screen and you can usually see a bad target. But dig all until you have enough practice. You can have a foil check program set up that you can quickly switch over to to double check. If you are in a foil area you probably need to raise the disc level. 42 sounds bad but you know, thats why they have discrimination. Or you can put a notch in that area. You need to find that cut-off point and it will change depending on the area. Small can slaw you probably just have to dig it.

Don't be afraid to put some test targets out. I like to toss a gold ring out in my yard then go find it. But different sizes of foil sounds like what you need to work on getting the disc/notch setting where you want it. Oh yeah, the 42 is for 18 KHz. Trying to remember if the HF coils are any different. I think you should be okay there. BTW, wadded gum wrappers you just have to dig, but a lot of foil is odd shape and you swing from different angles to see if it is even shape or not.
Good video here but if you are looking for very small gold like ear studs you will have to dig more foil.

Last edited: