Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tips needed for this weeks club hunt

Pink Magnolia

Hi friends,

First, do you have a pattern/method for covering ground? I wander aimlessly, lol.

Secondly, I am so excited about an upcoming hunt. It will be at a school that was build in 1931 and closed in 1988. There are possible time capsules buries by classes in the past. Suggestions for me??

Happy Digging :twodetecting:

Some say the grid pattern is good? I just go where my intuition takes me.
Another tip is stay out the rain and you won't get wet.
Good luck.

This is not a seeded hunt it appears, so hunting fast will not be your friend. Pick likely spots and work them good.

Curb strips in front of the school where kids were dropped off.
Along sidewalks leading to school doors.
Along side of school building, spots where the kids congregated.
Around big old tress where kids may have gathered as well as around any playgrounds equipment.

Most of the hunters will probably head off to any sport fields and open lawn areas. Some of the above spots you could have to yourself and all have good potential for old coins and jewelry. Anyway, good luck! HH jim tn

Dear Miss Pink...One thing to consider when using any modern ”hobby” metal detector is that they are CALIBRATED toward small objects...coin-sized objects. A time capsule will be a very large item...at least in the eyes of a metal detector, and will therefore very likely I.D. VERY low on the scale, if not straight up “iron”. A time capsule would almost certainly also be way deeper than your trowel or even small shovel would allow you to dig.
If I were you...which I’m not...but if I were...I would set my discrimination to accept zinc cents and up and dig all items which respond solidly on the initial sweep and also respond the same way when turning 90 degrees. Gotta crawl before you run! ANY public place has been hunted to DEATH by now, just trust the machine to tell you if there is a good target.

Ditto on all the above! Dont forget where the buses stopped and picked up. Often kids take shortcuts to get to schools and enter the grounds other than sidewalks, look for fence openings (if there are any) or obvious paths from property boundaries towards the main building (I know it closed 30 yrs ago but kids are like cows just not as heavy but stay on paths as a rule and the paths stay visible). Good luck

After being a teacher for over 30 years, I can tell you that some teachers (and students!!!!) can lose all of their belongings from the school door to their car. Checking sidewalk edges out to about three feet from the concrete edge, especially the downhill side is a great place to find trash and treasure. Also imagine where parents and teachers would stand while watching an outdoor event, chatting about their kids or just hanging around. Most teachers and parents in a hurry have no idea what they have lost. I found so many sets of keys and wallets in 30 years and that was without using a detector.

Turn the above around and apply it to the kids. Where would they put they backpacks down, where would they sprawl on the ground on a hot day..... and most of all, where would they play the most.

So, if you have the tear drop shaped coil on your F22, you can get about 4 to 6" of depth on low and mid conductor coin sized target in moderate to mild ground without losing too much target ID tone and number accuracy. Gold jewelry and nickels deeper than that may sound and read like pennies and dimes in your dirt. Your high conductive targets like copper pennies, dimes, quarters and silver will not be affected by this loss of target ID accuracy so much with your detector. They will still have a high tone and high numbers. So you have to decide to either go for the deep stuff (which is a questionable decision with an F22) or go for the shallower 6" or less stuff that has been missed and go for the good sounding targets. If the ground is sandy and easy to dig, anything can happen to coin sized targets. If it has lots of clay, the targets from the 1930s to 1980s may not be very deep unless there were a lot of landscaping changes.

Last edited:
Hey PM, what type of school was it, high school, elementary etc or city vs country? High schools will always have more coins, jewelry etc and a country school may combine all grades. Parking areas will typically be paved but the grassy areas close to them is where teachers or students are most likely to empty their pant while removing their keys and not as trashy. If they had a band, they would typically practice on long flat areas, same for sports teams. Again more treasure than trash Actually nowdays more good stuff can be found in the trash but you need experience and the best machines that can really separate. Concentrate on cleaner spots for now. One old school I went to found 18 dimes in one hole go figure. Theres an old school close to my house that I've gone to since the 80s when only a lad. Its the only spot I still keep all my finds from just for sentiment. Have found 100s of coins, jewely etc . In one spot that I was told was the smoking areas found about 50 silver coins but that was back when stuff was easier to find then. Unless I'm in a wooded area and have to, I ALWAYS grade my areas. Haphazard wandering will find you much less in the long run. Doesnt have to be fancy. Find a good spot mark off like a 10x10 spot with something like golf tees. When you're satisfied you've worked it well, just pick up your first two tees, mark them in front of your last two and start again. HH. PT

This is not a seeded hunt it appears, so hunting fast will not be your friend. Pick likely spots and work them good.

Curb strips in front of the school where kids were dropped off.
Along sidewalks leading to school doors.
Along side of school building, spots where the kids congregated.
Around big old tress where kids may have gathered as well as around any playgrounds equipment.

Most of the hunters will probably head off to any sport fields and open lawn areas. Some of the above spots you could have to yourself and all have good potential for old coins and jewelry. Anyway, good luck! HH jim tn
This sounds like a good plan ! We usually get about 3 to 4 hours to hunt so I want to make the best of my time. A side note, a lady contacted the group to help her find a lost ring on a jogging trail that is 3/4 mile long. I offered to help Sunday, so this may be a 2 hunting day weekend. And the weather here in NC will be perfect. Thank you!

Dear Miss Pink...One thing to consider when using any modern ”hobby” metal detector is that they are CALIBRATED toward small objects...coin-sized objects. A time capsule will be a very large item...at least in the eyes of a metal detector, and will therefore very likely I.D. VERY low on the scale, if not straight up “iron”. A time capsule would almost certainly also be way deeper than your trowel or even small shovel would allow you to dig.
If I were you...which I’m not...but if I were...I would set my discrimination to accept zinc cents and up and dig all items which respond solidly on the initial sweep and also respond the same way when turning 90 degrees. Gotta crawl before you run! ANY public place has been hunted to DEATH by now, just trust the machine to tell you if there is a good target.
Good to know about the depth of the time capsule. I didnt think about that. And very cool tip about turning the 90 degrees. I will definitely start using that. Thank you alot

Ditto on all the above! Dont forget where the buses stopped and picked up. Often kids take shortcuts to get to schools and enter the grounds other than sidewalks, look for fence openings (if there are any) or obvious paths from property boundaries towards the main building (I know it closed 30 yrs ago but kids are like cows just not as heavy but stay on paths as a rule and the paths stay visible). Good luck
Cows, lol. But yes they are I guess bc being constantly told to follow the rules. Too funny.
So, just for my knowledge, can we hunt on public school grounds without permission ?

After being a teacher for over 30 years, I can tell you that some teachers (and students!!!!) can lose all of their belongings from the school door to their car. Checking sidewalk edges out to about three feet from the concrete edge, especially the downhill side is a great place to find trash and treasure. Also imagine where parents and teachers would stand while watching an outdoor event, chatting about their kids or just hanging around. Most teachers and parents in a hurry have no idea what they have lost. I found so many sets of keys and wallets in 30 years and that was without using a detector.

Turn the above around and apply it to the kids. Where would they put they backpacks down, where would they sprawl on the ground on a hot day..... and most of all, where would they play the most.

So, if you have the tear drop shaped coil on your F22, you can get about 4 to 6" of depth on low and mid conductor coin sized target in moderate to mild ground without losing too much target ID tone and number accuracy. Gold jewelry and nickels deeper than that may sound and read like pennies and dimes in your dirt. Your high conductive targets like copper pennies, dimes, quarters and silver will not be affected by this loss of target ID accuracy so much with your detector. They will still have a high tone and high numbers. So you have to decide to either go for the deep stuff (which is a questionable decision with an F22) or go for the shallower 6" or less stuff that has been missed and go for the good sounding targets. If the ground is sandy and easy to dig, anything can happen to coin sized targets. If it has lots of clay, the targets from the 1930s to 1980s may not be very deep unless there were a lot of landscaping changes.
Very helpful to know. Thank you so much for sharing. I usually tune Fe out and bc I have dug so much trash aluminum and beer pull tabs I have started to ignore them but now I am confused bc I am reading that gold can ring in any numbers especially the foil and aluminum, so I am in a quandary.

Very helpful to know. Thank you so much for sharing. I usually tune Fe out and bc I have dug so much trash aluminum and beer pull tabs I have started to ignore them but now I am confused bc I am reading that gold can ring in any numbers especially the foil and aluminum, so I am in a quandary.
YES!! But be Patient my dear; Persistance & Practice makes perfect but may take a long time depending on how often & where you go detecting! It is fun though if you let it be & ya never know what ya may find when digging after hidden treasure! Be sure to fill in & cover your holes & replace grass neatly if possible! Always ask for permission before hunting on private property & check with city & county officials to see if hunting public property is legal! Most Schools & parks are okay or used to be--but may need to be sure! Be blessed to find the goodies! Ma

For many people I help at the club I am a member of and for me too it all depends on the trash levels. I would start with Jewelry mode first and see how it goes. If you are overwhelmed with too many trashy signals in the nickel/foil ranges you can always switch to Coin mode. Gold rings can be found in the nickel range too. If you get your coil over a great sounding target in the nickel range just dig it and have fun.

Is it a High School? As mentioned in a post above, we used to smoke just outside of the cafeteria when I was in High School. Lots of folks digging cigarette lighters and such out of pockets on the "smoking deck" as we called it. Plenty of opportunity to have coins and such fall out of pockets.

Is it a High School? As mentioned in a post above, we used to smoke just outside of the cafeteria when I was in High School. Lots of folks digging cigarette lighters and such out of pockets on the "smoking deck" as we called it. Plenty of opportunity to have coins and such fall out of pockets.
I am not sure, they just released the site info about an hour ago. I hate to be short, but I have been without power for over 24 hours now and have limited battery life. I totally remember the smokers lots!!! I will keep that in mind tomorrow. I am going to look now to see what I can find out about the place since now have location. Thank ya!

Ref to public schools...... as always contact the school district and seek the permission first. Most districts around here allow but do ask for some limitations and like to know who is out there. It was permission that got us onto an old field that was turned into a soccer field which in turn coughed up an 1897 Barber dime. Had we not had the permission the dime could have been seized in relation to a trespassing charge.