Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

To be or Not to be.That is the question.But was is the answer?

relics4plus

With over 15 years of detecting I still get surprises.I have seen some real nice relics over the years that have been tagged as "fakes" I have even seen some that dealers purchased as authentic only to be discredited by another dealer and then also tagged as a "fake". I heard of a fellow who purchased a nice authentic period sword. He showed to a very well known dealer you stated it was not real but a reproduction.This dealer being in business for over 20 years. The fellow took it to a CW auction and it sold as authentic and brought $1,300.00 dollars.I have even seen relics dug from the ground near battlefields tagged as reproduction or fake.Beings these items in question were mfg. 150 years ago by hundreds of different mfg. are we so sure that a lot of these items are indeed reproductions instead of authentic? and we just have know idea who made them. It seems if it has not been documented in some relic book then it is not authentic. Look at Albert's button book for example. For years it was the button bible. Then along came Tices button book and now there are many buttons that Albert's listed as period that are not just because tices book said so. Are there really experts from the 1860's that can verify the authenticity of all the items mfg. during and before the CW period? I wonder. Just some food for thought.Thanks for reading.