Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

To dig or not to dig??

Alan

I was walking across the cement recently and got a really nice beep.
I cleared as much of the surface as possible and exposed a perfectly round hole.It had to be a drill hole or possibly a long gone root of a tree.
[attachment 63078 Sushole_1.JPG]
This stuff is very hard to dig. Your pick just bounces off so you tend to think of reasons not to dig.If that hole wasn't there there would be no problem, just start chipping away, 99% sure its gold down there.
I cleaned out the hole with my fingers and even put my magnet in it but the beep stayed.
The beep was too nice so I went and got the heavy duty gear...
If nothing else it will test my heart meds.
[attachment 63079 Bigpick_1.JPG]
Well, the effort paid off with a nice solid 6.5 gram nugget
[attachment 63080 6.5gram_1.JPG]
Just goes to show, dig everything..
Hope this helps with your withdrawl problems Silicon John...

Alan

Isn't that a great feeling when you have done alot of hard work on a target that you dont have a very good feeling about, and it turns out to be gold..
Nice post, The country-side looks very inviting. Your photos are great.
I leave in 1 week for a Nevada expedition..
I will try to take some scenery photos, that will hopefully contain some gold.

Gus-

Gus
Sorry, no picture.We have to sell our gold and that one's gone.

I had another one of those 'dig or not' situations on my last trip.
I got a not very nice wire type beep in the pile next to an old partially filled in dig hole. I thought someone had just left the rubbish in the pile.I had just got a 13grammer nearby so I thought I would clear the rubbish.
After digging down through the pile the beep was still there and I was into new ground.Now I got excited...
After digging about another 6-8 inches out came this bit.

[attachment 66485 IMG_4004_1.JPG]

A solid 7+ oz.
Good luck on your trip to Nevada, I look forward to your photos.

Alan

Wow Alan!!!
That is amazing.
You had to be jumping up and down, and yelling.
I sure would have been. My biggest piece is a 3 ounce nugget so far.
Thanks for sharing.
Gus-

Alan, I enjoy seeing your photos and the background shots too. You must use a really small coil??? or you can pin-point like on a dime??? When I dig a hole, it is usually at least 12" across (both ways) and yours seems to be as small as an apple? Do you use a pin-pointer or other VLF detector to help isolate the target?

Thanks, Gerry

Well I did go and weigh it straight away.Usually I wait till the end of the day.:lol:
3oz, I'd say that was very good for the US.

Here's the indicator I was following

[attachment 66685 Indicator_1.JPG]

Alan
:)

Gerry
Looks like we are posting at the same time!
No, that hole is the drill hole I though the signal might be lurking in.My hole takes up the whole photo.I didnt see the old drill hole till after I started digging.The thought of having to dig (chip)out the cement to get to the bottom of the drill whole for what could have been a bit of drill made me consider leaving it.
I was using a 16inch mono.You are right, I dig very big holes with it!!

This is more usual
[attachment 66687 Bighole_1.JPG]

What I have found with this coil is that I think I have dug past the target sometimes.

Alan