Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

To Greed and the search for Treasure

opus

Had the best summer since the 1970's. Found rings, pendants, coins from the "30's and a small bucket full of clad, but I WORKED for it, am I wrong to wish for a mason jar full of $20.00 gold pieces?
Just something to retire on, that's all I ask. I love this sport, and I love my Tesoro Deleon. I just wish for more than I deserve! I know some of you have found real treasure, but wouldn't talk if bamboo splinters were involved. I tip my glass to you. I hope to one day join you're ranks.

to "anticipate" makes it work!
think of treasure hunting as an "event phsycological!"
always being prepared to make that "killer" find!
just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

opus said:
am I wrong to wish for a mason jar full of $20.00 gold pieces?
Just something to retire on, that's all I ask. I love this sport, and I love my Tesoro Deleon. I just wish for more than I deserve! I know some of you have found real treasure, but wouldn't talk if bamboo splinters were involved. I tip my glass to you. I hope to one day join you're ranks.

NO, thats human nature opus. :thumbup:

Always striving to get to the kettle of gold at the end of the rainbow - the frosting on the cake.

Good Luck & Good Hunting

HaRM

We're treasure hunters and for many of us, this is more then just a hobby, more than just something to do, to fill time. It's the dream that gets us out there and ya never know, that mason jar full of $20.00 gold pieces, just may be under your coil your next hunt.

Keep dreaming!

Very well said Mike!! Keep Dreaming!! Thumbs up

Treasure is in the eye of the beholder! Many times while metal detecting somewhere someone will ask if I have found anything good or have you found any treasure many times I will answer just a pocket full of change, but isn't that treasure? If you tell someone that you found a square nail or a brass button if they didn't know how old that could be they would think big deal right. Like the other day I dug up a .50 cal bullet shell with an SL 43 on the bottom after looking into it I found out it was made in St. Louis in 1943 now I think a pre WWII bullet shell is a pretty cool find. Maybe we are just easy to please and all the rings and silver coins are just icing on the cake. With every target we dig up thoughts of silver or gold coins rings and pretty things lost and long forgotten flash through or minds sometimes we are disappointed and other times we are rewarded for hours in the sun or cold battling bugs or itchy plants. A better hobby there is none! Just my thoughts..... Keep Swinging:detecting:

Your no more wrong to wish for a mason jar of gold coins than the people whom play the lottery. It could happen. It may be unlikely but it still could happen.
But While you may wish for it to fund your retirement , that in in it self is problematic. Your unlikely to be able to fully fund your retirement wholly on detecting find unless you spend a lot of time hunting and FINDING and investing what you find.

Hi Opus, LOL, you did ask ,if it was wrong to wish for a mason jar full of Gold Coins. I had to think awhile as to whether I should comment or not, so please pardon me if this seems a bit wierd.. You seem to already know you are catering to being "Greedy",wishing for Gold coins etc. and that you are wishing for more than what you deserve. You have already have done really well over the years you say.Yeah, the gold would be nice alright, and I sure wouldn't turn it down, especially if it was enough to retire on, Though I am retired already and have need of nothing, cept maybe my health. Hey, We are old enough by now that our corners have been scraped off enough to know it's time to relax and do the chill out and relax bit and enjoy what we got already and be thankful we are able to do what we can still do.I give thanks too that I haven't recieved what I really deserve. That's a scary thought! You must know for sure that Greed ain't exactly a "virtue",and if you allow it to become your reason for detecting then you need to realize it can also become a great "spoiler". Cool it a bit and try not to "work" so hard at enjoying such a great hobby, or maybe just get another job. . HH, Charlie HH, Charlie

mike5853 said:
We're treasure hunters and for many of us, this is more then just a hobby, more than just something to do, to fill time. It's the dream that gets us out there and ya never know, that mason jar full of $20.00 gold pieces, just may be under your coil your next hunt.

Keep dreaming!

I totally agree

I've only been detecting now for just a couple of years, and when I started I was really nervous to ask anyone that owned land if i could hunt on it. I was worried that they would think that I was stealing from them. It was quite the opposite as I even opened up to others that I like to go metal detecting. Out came the stories and offers to hunt potential old sites with some amazing stories behind them. Everything from old settler's sites from the 1850's to old bootleggers hideouts. I am usually told have at it, maybe you'll get lucky. I always show them what I find, and they sure do get into it to. No jars of money yet, but I've sat with them talking about the possibilities all day sometimes. That has helped me to not think of it as being greedy or taking from others.

NICE READ EVERYONE!!!!!

I always try to go out expecting to find nothing and when I find something good it's like I hit the lottery! But here lately my son has been the lottery winner LOL! he found his first silver coin last week at a site I have never found silver he walked 10 steps from my truck and found a 56 quarter heck I use high dollar detectors and only spent about 200 on his and he has smoked my tail the bad thing is he is only 9 years old! The way he hunts is like a seasoned veteran of 30 years. Later All