Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

To Makro, can we ask for a nicer set of koss headphones in the racer pro pack?

jtalley007

You guys have a top notch product. I just got a Fors Core to use until the racer comes out. It is very well built and on my test plot 12" minnie ball the deepest vlf I've seen in 40 years of detecting, especially with that size coil. From Keith's video, it appears the racer is a close match in depth. I have the pro package and am pleased with everything but the headphones. I'm a relic hunter plowing through the woods and didn't bother to open the package. These headphones are what you would use to listen to music on an IPOD. I'm not trying to be critical, I feel you guys are are serious and want honest feedback. Even a minor upgrade to the koss phones Minlab uses would be just fine and couldn't be that expensive in volume. I planned to hit the woods and give the core a workout but we're supposed to get 12" of snow and single digit temperatures. Thanks for listening and welcome to what I feel is a great move for your company. We are all thrilled to have a quality product at a fair price from a company that appreciates and listens to the people that support them. What a concept!!!!!!!!

I agree that the Headphones included with the Makro Racer appear to be of the lowest quality (you can purchase them on Amazon for approx. $5), for me that is not a concern. Even if they upgraded the package to include a higher quality Headphone, they would probably not be the quality I would be looking for, and it would probably cause a slight price increase in the package.

I would prefer to have them include the low quality Headphones and not increase the package price, so I can spend the $149 to purchase high quality Headphones.

Not trying to hijack your post, just offering a different opinion.

Mike

Mike [size=small](flbeachhunter)[/size], and in all honesty I agree with the Nokta/Makro approach for the most part. Mike and I agree that we wouldn't want them to include a higher-cost headphones because it would not only increase the market price for their product, and they still might not be the kind or headphone we each happen to prefer.

Do I like the Pro Package headphones with the FORS CoRe? No, and I let the Nokta folks know that in a direct e-mail as I do with most dislikes or things I have a concern about. But I could pick at all kinds of things about the Pro Package, from my personal standpoint of use and practicality. The Racer package includes some simple headphones, too, and neither of them are the type that I would use due to fit, audio quality/speaker impedance, or because they have a thin straight cord.

Let me add, too, that I don't like the Koss headphones that come with a Minelab, either. They are not a comfortable fit and I don't care for the audio quality of those I have had or used.

But I also have to say I agree with Nokta/Makro idea. I have several very avid detecting buddies who do not own and will not use headphones. Never! So ANY headphone with a detector is something they give to a niece or nephew or grandkid.

I also know many people who can't afford a better quality set of headphones, and many of them just don't think it is necessary to spend a lot of money on headphones. They just don't appreciate them. SOooo ... the Nokta/Makro folks produce and deliver to us an excellent and versatile detector. We will be selective on our headphone choice anyway, or that's how I view it, but for those who might be getting started, at least there is a set of headphones, even if inexpensive, that they can at least use until they can afford to buy a quality set of headphones.

They could always make heir own headphones in-house, like White's does with their Pro Star headphones, and then sell those separate, but to include a quality set would up the MSRP and that could cut into sales.

So, you're right, they aren't great, but they helped keep the cost down. Could drop the Pro Package price by $5 and eliminate them, but there's no need for that.

Monte

I agree, I wish they would just leave them out altogether. Have them as an option. I already have a nice set and I like to use them with whatever detector i'm using at the time.

I played soccer with the minelab ones in the back yard but thought I better not bust them up and gave them to my mate he loves them, not for me though the sound is rolly and scratchy and well they are for music, I have tried my good sony headphones I listen to music with on a detector and they sound like :poke: :rant:

so its not a problem for me getting the koss ph's in the pro package I will do like others have said use them on my ipod :biggrin: or give them to one of the kids sure they will find a use for them.

so I agree leave them in and they would serve a purpose as a stopgap for someone who this is their 1st detector at least they have something to use till they get some what I would call proper detecting HP's.

so yes for me there are no good koss detecting headphones sorry koss :blowup:

AJ

The headphone issue is a common problem. Including any given set is nice if someone is buying their first detector. Maybe the thing to do is make detectors with blue tooth built in to industry standard. I use BT headsets for desk phone headsets, and link my cell phone to hands free system in my car without lag. So the technology must be there. When I had a V3i the wireless worked great. If scale drives down costs then to build BT into all detectors would hopefully minimize cost increase per unit rather than a custom piece made like the Racer is designed with. But I am not informed on the manufacturing side, so who knows the real story of the cost differences. As for wired headphones it seems to me to publish in a detectors spec sheet the desired headphone impedance would be a good thing. Also the choice of headphones becomes rather personal due to different hearing deficiencies (I can't hear above 8kHz) and personal choice of how phones fit. I have some phones I think sound good but they feel like a vise on my head. Maybe even so tight I can't hear anyone walking up behind me despite trying to reform them into being more comfortable. Other ones I have are pretty comfortable but seem to have a narrow frequency response. I can't stand the behind the head type like the Deus. But that is me and others would probably be in the opposite direction of their preferences.
(edited to correct some thoughts)

Its a nice gesture. We all prefere our own headphones because we are all spoiled.

Raising the price to put a better set of headphone that most will not use as we have our favorite would not go well with myself and many others either I am sure. Giving a basic set that work is all that is needed with a new detector and keep the price down so we can buy what we want to go along with it. This goes true for item that comes with the detector itself as why raise the price for some items we will never use. When we can buy what we want and keep the price down and have what we want. I look at it that these headphones are a freebie really so why complain on something that is a freebie.

Rick

While there are nice items like the case that holds everything and and another coil, other than that the value isn't there. I don't need a hat either but since they have it all included why not ask for a usable set of headphones? List price separately they are $24, MAP price $20, if you get the pro pack you'll see. Hey, I'm jazzed about the company and the racer but they are looking for honest feedback from serious detectorists. For $200 upcharge they could easily supply the Minelab style Koss, if not,my suggestion is take the cheap ones out and lower the pro pack $20. JMHO

what those soccer ball koss ones you mean :rofl: koss don't make detecting headphones :biggrin: they make music headphones, minelab shove a sticker on them dosnt make them work any better :blowup:

AJ

I'm hoping the supplied headphones will at least make an acceptable set of short-term backup headphones,
for the times I will undoubtedly cut the cable on my preferred headphones. If they do that much,
I'll feel I wasn't cheated.

But I do agree that it seems they could have put a slightly better pair into the Pro Pack.
Maybe the Turkish translation of the word "Pro" isn't quite what we mean by it.

--Tom

The serious detectorist will more than likely use their already purchased headhones. As long as the supplied headphones function is really what is necessary. Question, just what other detector makers put high grade headphones into their detector packages? And don't say Minelab. Because I've used them. And excluding the wireless for V3i Whites and XP Deus. We need to stay focused on the detector. And the same with other
manufacturers detectors.

I'm glad to hear Monte say he has avid detectorist friends who don't use headphones. I've detected since the 60's and only use headphones when I'm around others, or when outside noise might hurt my hearing of the detector. I started doing this years ago after I broke my headphones in the field and had to go without. I guess I may miss a whisper target on occasion, but the freedom from the cord and being able to hear what's going on around me is worth the price.

Oh, and by the way, Ms.Dilek could you also include some munchies and maybe a dry pair of socks---LOL. Ms.Dilek you have now had a review of Human Psy 101,which I am sure you had in your undergrad courses.Please carry on with your refreshing way of doing business.

I was asking Makro for something, but heard from everyone but them,LOL
I hope they solve the Wireless issue, that's what I want anyway. Going through the woods without a cord getting hung up and being able to stand and dig without the stiff cords even on the grey ghosts is a real blessing.
Sorry I ruffled feathers, I thought that's what forums were for, to see/ hear different views?

im with you digger...

I only use headphones when im hunting in threshold based all metal mode or when I dont want to distrub someone...

the rest of the time I enjoy just listening to the speaker and enjoying the outdoors.. the phones seem to shut you out from the world..

Keith

It seems clear not a solution for the perfect headphones to make everyone happy. I like the gesture of a complementary set of headphones. If one needs to consider it as a garnish on a plate at a restaurant so be it, but don't send the steak back if you are not into eating parsley!