Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

To those of you that have found gold coins

gare-oh

Those of you who found gold coins are our envy. If you don't mind would you ALL post a short story about what tyep of area you were hunting and maybe some details about the machine used ? I know i would like to know more about place types where gold coins are found ?

Just a brief history of type of location maybe machine used and settings and readings.

Thanks in Advance

gare-oh said:
Those of you who found gold coins are our envy. If you don't mind would you ALL post a short story about what tyep of area you were hunting and maybe some details about the machine used ? I know i would like to know more about place types where gold coins are found ?

Just a brief history of type of location maybe machine used and settings and readings.

Thanks in Advance

Can't post links to other forums here so do a little Google-Fu and all kinds of great info will pop up about gold coins in these threads from NASA Tom...

"How widely were gold coins dispersed in the US"

"Question for Tom Dankowski, and/or anyone re: gold coins vs military"

They will come in from foil on the tiny dollar coin and they go up from there...not counting any masking garbage, trash or mineralization in the area that may affect the "normal" readings.

I hope to find one some day but I don't hunt stagecoach stops, civil war camps or most other places where I have a higher percentage chance to find one, mostly just parks.
Still, you never know when one, lone, gold coin will show up.
Personally, I am aiming for a gold coin in a bezel that some poor soul lost...and a gold chain attached would be a bonus.

I've found 15 so far. Revier gives some good info.

Basically the best areas are places where travelers came & went from. Especially long-distance travel (ie.: not just local-stages that ran between small-towns inner-county type travel). Because: Any time there was need to uproot and travel to an altogether new destination (ie.: sell your farm in one state, and move to another state, for long-distance travel), then: You would tend to consolidate your wealth, to move. And in an era before credit cards, inter-state banking, telegram-wiring of $, etc... persons would actually carry their wealth with them. And ... since cargo weight and space was at a premium, then go figure : What's lighter: 100 large cents ? Or a $1 gold piece ? What's lighter : 50 dimes (or 500 LCs), or a single $5 gold piece ?

So I have found several of my gold coins at the east-to-west migration route stop locations. Since a lot of the migration, in those days, starting from the gold rush, all the way to the early 1900s, was of course east-to-west. Trading post /spring stops, stage stops, etc...

2 of mine were found at a location said-to-have been a military camp area @ the 1840s to early 1850s. Which makes sense in what Revier was referring to. Ie.: that there were some years (not all the years) when the govt. paid soldiers in some geographic locations (not all locations) in gold coins.

But then the remaining ones were found at things like : Old town demolition sites (bleacher grandstand teardown, oldtown sidewalk tearout, & old bldg. teardown). Another 4 were after beach storm erosion and 1 in park turf, and 1 at a defunct mineral springs resort. (so I would attribute those to recreation time user's losses).

They also seem to be found a LOT more often in western states, than in eastern states. I could try to attribute this to the east-west-migration-cargo-weight theory. But : About 2/3 of my gold coins are S mints. So that sort of blows that theory. Yet the others (specifically the ones found @ the locations where travelers would have been stopping @ their travel inward from the east) did have the eastern mints.

As far as the machines used : Everything from back in my Whites days, up to my Minelab days. No rhyme or reason. And contrary to popular notion: Gold coins are not low conductors. So you don't need a machine that "excels at low conductors", to have better odds at finding them. The $5, for example, reads at the corroded zinc TID range (about 48 to 49-ish, on the old Whites scale) . And a $10 reads @ around the low IH zone. And a $20 reads almost up by copper penny or so.

The ones that could be arguably "low conductors" are the $2.50, which reads @ the pulltab range. And as we all know : EVEN CHEAPIE MACHINES have no problem finding pulltabs (as long as you lower the disc. knob, haha). The only gold coin that is TRULY a low conductor, is the $1 gold . The TID is about at the beaver-tail of tabs . But still not difficult to get, as long as your disc. knob isn't cranked up. And of all the denominations: The $5 was the most highly circulated denomination. And as you can see, you can even knock out round tabs, and still not miss a $5 gold.

But the TID's , and machines used, is hardly the discussion to be had, when discussing upping one's odds at finding a gold coin. Instead, the MUCH LARGER discussion is: Location location location. Be at cross-country type travel stop locations. Be at military fort site locations that date to the 1840s to late 1850s. Be at west coast locations where you're getting coins in the date range of the mid to late 1800s (preferably stage stops).

Another few tips:

1) Gold coins weren't necessarily circulated in the same fashion as pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, etc..... Because, for example, $5 or $10 could be like an entire week's pay for a working-stiff. So .... just like today .... not likely you are carrying $500 cash in your wallet. Instead, you deposit your weekly check, and carry $1s and $5s in your wallet. So too was it back then: People would handle gold coins when preparing to make larger purchases. Like down-payment on a house. Or to purchase livestock , etc.... But otherwise, stashed away, in the same fashion that you don't carry large sums of cash. Not carried like daily pocket change.

2) Even though gold coins were minted up to the 1910s and 1920s, yet: Very very rarely are gold coins found that date past 1900. Because things like paper checks were coming into vogue . Ability to wire money was coming into vogue and reaching even smaller towns by then. RR and auto travel were taking the place of stages by then, reaching more and more places that had previously been strictly horse-back and stage. etc... So you'll notice that of all the gold coins that get floated on forum show-&-tells, that : a) Most of them are $5 denomination, and b) they are mostly pre 1900 dates.

Yea, Tom is the man along with a few of his friends when searching for vids about finding gold coins.

This guy found a couple in one hole and much more...still the greatest, most mind blowing vid I have ever watched since I got into this hobby.
He was using a TID pulse induction detector.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aVZwXNHiulM

That's a very good question.
I would like to know how many.
How far apart.
How long have you been detecting?

u2robert said:
... how many...

For me : 15

u2robert said:
... How far apart....

Do you mean distance-wise ? Or time-wise ? Distance wise: from So. CA desert area on the south, to the last one in northern CA. And all-points-in-between (all found in CA so far). For time-wise: Found the first one in, ... I think ... about 1992. So that means I'm averaging a gold coin about one every ~2 yrs. ?

u2robert said:
....How long have you been detecting?
Since a young teenager, in about 1975 or '76-ish. But didn't find stuff like seateds or gold coins till much later. Spent the first 15-ish years just working school yards, parks, beaches, etc.... For common-bag silver, wheaties, etc... Didn't progress into hard-core stuff till the early 1990s. Eg.: old town building teardowns/demolition, stage stops, relicky sites, etc....

Concerning why gold coins seem more common the further west you go, especially west of the Mississippi , was explained logically in an old copy of ( I believe) a Yeoman's coin collecting book.
The writer stated that since the eastern states were more civilized and settled, the population also tended to be more comfortable handling paper currency over hard money because it was more convenient and they were more willing to trust that the paper money's face value was guaranteed by the issuing authority.
The west being largely territorial and less settled and more lawless, the populace tended to favor hard money because of it's inherent safety and liquidity.
Also, inflationary pricing would have created a need for larger denominations in smaller physical sized coinage, such as gold coins.

An interesting numismatic side note to gold coin circulation, is the answer to why there are so many early 1800's silver halves in above average condition considering their age....
It's because the bulk of those coins were exchanged between banks and never saw much actual use in everyday commerce.

One other thing comes to mind about hard money verses paper currency: Years ago,I worked with an older gentleman who's father lived and worked in the late 1800's/early 1900's at a local factory in an eastern state. On payday, he was asked whether he wanted to be paid by company check, paper money, or hard cash- silver or gold... his choice.
A far cry from today, where some folks only see a paycheck twice a month and then it may be electronically transmitted to their bank account !

Thanx for chiming in !

I know of 2 people in my area that have found 1 each and are not on this forum. One was from a courthouse he was using his XP Deus 1893 $5 Gold Coin and the other was in a farm field he was using a AT Pro 1853 $1 Gold Coin

Mike K "Ohio"

Tom_in_CA said:
u2robert said:
... how many...

For me : 15

u2robert said:
... How far apart....

Do you mean distance-wise ? Or time-wise ? Distance wise: from So. CA desert area on the south, to the last one in northern CA. And all-points-in-between (all found in CA so far). For time-wise: Found the first one in, ... I think ... about 1992. So that means I'm averaging a gold coin about one every ~2 yrs. ?

u2robert said:
....How long have you been detecting?
Since a young teenager, in about 1975 or '76-ish. But didn't find stuff like seateds or gold coins till much later. Spent the first 15-ish years just working school yards, parks, beaches, etc.... For common-bag silver, wheaties, etc... Didn't progress into hard-core stuff till the early 1990s. Eg.: old town building teardowns/demolition, stage stops, relicky sites, etc....

Thanks for the info Tom_in _cal
Yes time not distance
I got my first detector in 86 a White's Coinmaster
Still no gold coin.

I found one here in Ct a 1911 $5.00 indian head I was hunting in a park with my Etrac at the time it's an old park and I've pulled a lot of silver from this small park that was hammered in the 70's 80's.
It was my first year detecting 2016 and it hit as a high tone because it was in the hole with a sterling money clip that it was attached to when I found the clip I saw a coin had been attached to it so I removed a handful of soil and saw the gold coin!
Mine lab used it in a few of their ads..saw a guy and his daughter who found I believe 10 or 11 in one small area all $5.00 coins gave the land owner one.
Mark

gare-oh said:
WOW impressive and THANKS FOR SHARING !~!!
Thanks yeah I was surprised to this spot I’ve pulled probably close to 50 silvers from this park even my first seated CC quarter rare here in Ct.
Mark

Using a Garrett Ground Hog w/7" Coplaner / Concentric coil, working at 15 kHz.

Frequency Shift
Selectable Frequency
Simultaneous Multi-Frequency
Recovery Speed
Reactivity
Frequency Off-Set
Numeric VDI
Audio Tone ID
Iron Audio Volume
Tone Break
2-Tone mode
3-Tone Mode
5-Tone Mode
Multi-Tone Mode
Motion-based GB-Disc.
Silent Search

Only had the following to adjust:

On/Off Power Level
Tuner to adjust Threshold
VLF All Metal or TR-Disc. modes
Auto-Tune or Manual Threshold Retune
Discrimination level for TR-Disc. mode

Behind an old general store (but still in operation) where they had been digging up by a back fence area.

Monte

Last edited:
I found my first a few weeks ago it was 1856 1 dollar. I was hunting in Kentucky at a yankee civil war camp. It wasn't very deep as this field has been bulldozed. I was using a minelab xterra 70 with a Nel tornado coil. Running in all metal two tones. It was bouncing from 40's to way down into the negatives. It was probably less than five inches deep. But these things are tiny in size. I was definitely not expecting to find a gold coin at a camp. But it makes me wonder who was carrying it.

Last edited:
Excellent thread. Interesting points relative to geographic distribution (East vs West), usage by denomination and likely sites. Thanks to all who contributed!

Concerning why gold coins seem more common the further west you go, especially west of the Mississippi , was explained logically in an old copy of ( I believe) a Yeoman's coin collecting book.
The writer stated that since the eastern states were more civilized and settled, the population also tended to be more comfortable handling paper currency over hard money because it was more convenient and they were more willing to trust that the paper money's face value was guaranteed by the issuing authority.
The west being largely territorial and less settled and more lawless, the populace tended to favor hard money because of it's inherent safety and liquidity.
Also, inflationary pricing would have created a need for larger denominations in smaller physical sized coinage, such as gold coins.

An interesting numismatic side note to gold coin circulation, is the answer to why there are so many early 1800's silver halves in above average condition considering their age....
It's because the bulk of those coins were exchanged between banks and never saw much actual use in everyday commerce.

One other thing comes to mind about hard money verses paper currency: Years ago,I worked with an older gentleman who's father lived and worked in the late 1800's/early 1900's at a local factory in an eastern state. On payday, he was asked whether he wanted to be paid by company check, paper money, or hard cash- silver or gold... his choice.
A far cry from today, where some folks only see a paycheck twice a month and then it may be electronically transmitted to their bank account !

Only quoting you to say....I love your user name, even jealous I didn't think of it :cheers: