Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

toasted 1852 large cent

DougF

I tried an old park this morning that I have detected 4 or 5 times before. I haven't found a whole lot here, but once found a 28mm copper which had no detail left. Today was kind of wet, we had a lot of rain yesterday. Things were a little muddy, I only stayed for 1.5 hours. The LC really hit good, considering that it was 8-9 inches down. Also found a silver plated mouthpiece for a trumpet, a 1939 Jefferson nickel and some trash. The reverse of the LC is fairly good, the obverse is worse, but I could read the date of 1852. The LC was in a wet area, which probably is why it's in poor shape.

DougF said:
I tried an old park this morning that I have detected 4 or 5 times before. I haven't found a whole lot here, but once found a 28mm copper which had no detail left. Today was kind of wet, we had a lot of rain yesterday. Things were a little muddy, I only stayed for 1.5 hours. The LC really hit good, considering that it was 8-9 inches down. Also found a silver plated mouthpiece for a trumpet, a 1939 Jefferson nickel and some trash. The reverse of the LC is fairly good, the obverse is worse, but I could read the date of 1852. The LC was in a wet area, which probably is why it's in poor shape.

I don't care it it's toasted. It's a fantastic find! Do you soak it in hydrogen peroxide to remove the crustiness?

Tony N (Michigan) said:
I don't care it it's toasted. It's a fantastic find! Do you soak it in hydrogen peroxide to remove the crustiness?

No, I just used a Qtip and household ammonia.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
Does Ammonia every damage a coin?

No, it only removes dirt, but sometimes it's better to just dry brush the coin if it looks like the surface is flaking off. On this coin, on the obverse the entire surface was gone just like the edge spots on the reverse.