Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

today 3/2/11

capt.

Another day at a local park, trying to find some silver...missed it by one year. Found a 1965 quarter. Most of the zinc pennies were surface finds, but I did dig a few just to break the monotony of long times between targets. Found a junk jewelry necklace and what appears to be a "blob" of lead. Going on a road trip to Louisiana tomorrow and may get to hunt some family land that dates back to the early 1800. Used to be a general store on the site! I hope I get the time to do that! Will post any finds... Thanks for looking and HH.

Gamma with GB@80, SENS@92, DISC@20

capt.

Audio Tone ID choice and search coil were you using?

Just getting out make for a good day. We've been drenched with rain the past several days, pretty hard at times, too. Definitely has 'dampened' my detecting opportunities.

I did manage to work in some brief spurts at school grounds on Sunday before sunset and one of them really kept me busy. A lot of coin spills, mostly pennies, and one school, had a lot of foreign coins scattered with them. Under one piece of equipment were a lot of pennies and dines, with three of the pennies wheat backs.

One trade token, five foreign coins, and one dime with a nail hole in it. The only damaged coin I found all day, and it was also the only silver coin that day, too. A 1946 Roosevelt.

I hope your road trip will be rewarding.

Monte

Where in La. you headed Capt? Hope you come across something good around the old store. Jimmie

I was using tone 4 and the Nels Tornado 12 x 13" coil and towards the end of the hunt switched to the 5" DD to see if it would do better in the trashy conditions, but it took me much longer to find my last coin with it, a clad dime, and I was starting to get frustrated. This is a trashy park with lots (LOTS) of iron. Even though it is much larger, the bigger coil seemed to unmask more targets, possibly because of the design maybe?. The low iron tone is a constant companion there with any coil. I know you like details so I will tell you that the big coil does throw off the balance of the Gamma, but not to an unbearable degree for me. I stayed away from the tot lots (there are 8 or 9 there) and worked the out lying areas, ugly, no grass, bare ground and unappealing...so I figured no one else had hit them. Got faked out by some can slaw ( I REALLY hate that stuff ) but otherwise it was business as usual. A couple of the pennies were early sixtys, would have been silver if... but that's the way it goes.

It figures the only silver you found was messed up, my kind of luck. Take care and HH!

capt.

That is a bunch of targets capt. :thumbup: Man, you can't let visiting family keep you from hunting that old property for a little while, anyway.:biggrin: Just kidding you. Good luck if you get to do some hunting. HH jim tn

Hey Tom, the hunt was about 6 hours and most of the trash I had in my bag was picked up, not dug up. I did dig a bit when I switched to the small coil which I know sounds ridiculus but it is the truth and was the main reason I was getting frustrated. I dug 5 targets In a row with good solid numbers 84,82,78,91,57 that were all trash targets. Not the coils fault but I wasn't having that particular problem with the big coil. Coincidence? This was a slow and methodical hunt trying to only dig good targets, test my skill with my detector. The area was chosen because of it's high iron content therefore making it a challenge and forcing me to do my best. Oh well, win some lose some...

Jimmie, going to Gonzales. I was born in New Orleans and raised in Donaldsonville.

Take care guys, will let y'all know how it goes.

capt.

Now you're talking about MY kind of site selection in those older-use parks and schools! :thumbup: I often look for the uglier areas, or brushier areas, and seem to do okay with them most of the time.

Monte

Just an update. I will post pics when I get home mon or tues. Among other things and lots of trash I did pull a 1937 buffalo nickel, 36,37 50 wheats from the old home/store site. My uncle said 2 things that I didn't particularly like... other folks have detected the site in the past and the building is not on the original site. It is on what was then the back yard of the original site. When the levee was built the building had to be moved so now the levee is on top of any old coins and artifacts/relics. Hated to hear that one! He did have and does still find occasionally, old large cents, v-nickels and stuff like that working in his fields. (he had just had roofing material delivered to replace his shop roof 25 x 15, a project he is doing his self. He is 76. His wife is 74 and to see them get around you would think they were in there 30's. Those country folks are a different breed man. This is the first time in 20 some odd years since I have seen them and we really had a good visit.)

Going somewhere on the Mississippi coast today to try out a different detector in the salt water while the girls walk around and shop. Maybe I'll get lucky...!

take care and HH.

capt.

Capt, I have the same thing happen with my Omega I'll get a solid reading of 82-84 and end up digging a modern screw top or a mauled piece of metal sometimes small, sometimes fairly large, same thing at 91-93 but those have been crushed soda/beer cans, 57-58 have been 99.9% pull tabs if it goes 57-59 its a pull tab 56-57 is really iffy maybe 60/40 nickle to pull tabs and if it goes I've dug one or two nickles at 55-56 but most of the time if it drops down to 55 and up to 59 its either a pencil eraser or partial pull tab. The other odd thing I've found with my Omega is getting a 66-69 screwcap reading and end finding a zinc penny. Jimmie

Good on the Buffalo nickel, capt. They are fun to find with readable dates. Although I find good numbers of nickels with the Omega, I also dig quite a few of the newer square tab and some pencil erasers on school tot lots and yards. I wish nickels came in with a high tone on the Omega, but the d4 tone(s) does help to alert one to nickels. capt, that still sounds like a pretty good spot to try and hit again. HH jim tn

Good finds capt, good luck at the beach.

Hey, capt.

Did good on the nickels, How deep where the cans ?

None deeper than a couple of inches. All modern aluminum can slaw.

WOW ! at the beach ?