Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Today I killed my first......................................................

KyBud(InezKy)

Copperhead of the year. It measured 32" stretched out. It wasn't a young'un. I won't let a venous snake by me if I can get him. Don't kill non-venous snakes though.
God Bless,
KyBud

Glad you got it! We have an over abundance of those rascals around here.

Lisa

n/t

Yep, we have an abundance of rattlers too, and cotton mouths to boot. Those cotton mouths are nasty! They CAN be very mean and aggressive. Not always, but they can be.

Lisa

n/t

Copperheads, Rattle Snakes here in MO and once in a while it has been known that Cotton Mouths have been in our rivers! In the past, there were some who died from their bites, but don't know if there have been any in the last 50 years...but probably so on rare occassons....Had a cousin bitten by a Copperhead when camping at the Black River Lodge many, many years ago but she has since died from Brain Cancer! May God Bless to keep you, Lisa and others safe from snake bites! Amen! (I dislike snakes but do know some are helpful in nature by killing the poisonous ones and keeping the mice, rats and other pests in control! Nature is helped balanced by the animals of all kinds! :angel: Ma Betty

Tastes like chicken!

Only good snake is a dead snake. One of our church secretaries went down the hall way in the church a couple of days ago, and near the front door is this small garter snake, about 10" long. Our Youth Pastor, the outdoor type, like me, put it outside. When I did pest control years back in Southern Illinois, I had to go under this church to treat for termites. Full of flatheads and copperheads.

I know what a flat head catfish is, and a flat head screwdriver too. But what kind of flat head are you talking about being under the church, Doug?

Lisa

In Southern Illinois there are these snakes, that when threatened the flatten their heads out or spread them. Some people call them Spreadheads, but don't know the official name of them or even if they are poisonous. HEY, HAVE YOU BEEN DOING ANY YARD SALES? WE WENT OUT TODAY, BUT KIND OF RAINY, SO GOOD ONES WERE HARD TO FIND.

Doug telling about the snakes under that church reminded me of a snake story that gives me chills. Follow the link and read all three pages.

Just click to move from one page to the other in order to read all three pages of the story.

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20110616/APA/1106160594?p=1&tc=pg

Lisa

We also had these small pigmy rattlers in Illinois where I am from. We had some Timber Rattlers, but all the time I spent in the woods, never seen one.

Did the Hwy 11 Antique Ally back in May. The Worlds Longest Yard Sale will be coming up the first weekend in August. That's about it for me.

I know the snake you are talking about. Around here they call those spread adders. Or in good ol Alabama dialect, "Spread'nadder." Aren't those technically hog nose snakes or bull snakes????

Lisa

Yeah, we've got the pygmy rattlers, timber rattlers, canebrake rattlers, and eastern diamondbacks. Copperheads and the nasty cottonmouth. South of here is the coral snake too. However, we keep hearing reports of some coral snakes being found this far up. Those are the list of our poisonous snakes, and then we have a multitude of nonpoisonous.

Lisa

ME NEITER!!!!! I'm with you! The only good snake is a dead one and I don't even want the dead one anywhere near me!

Lisa

Probably so. I don't know much about snakes. We live about a block from the Whitewater River and they have water snakes there. The county just south of us has Copperheads, but don't see many snakes around. Bet ya have to watch your step around your place with all them rattlers and such. We still want to do the yard sale that comes down your way. I am still on days then, so may take a couple days off and see how we do. Hey, how close did those tornadoes come to you?

Yes, folks around here have to watch their step for most of the year. If finally gets cold enough around the end of November for the snakes to hide. But the first warm day we have (which are many) you can still run across one now and then. Then they are back out around the end of February. We have an over abundance of snakes here.

The tornadoes were all around us but we didn't have a direct hit at my house. We did have some minor wind damage and lots of debris all around. About 15 miles form my house there were 13 killed and then about 22 miles in a different direction there were others killed. Alabama had a total of 238 deaths from the tornadoes on April 27th - in our state alone. Alabama is torn all to pieces from about Tuscaloosa northward. We will never be the same, that's for sure.

Lisa