Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Today with the F75

MidTN

Tried a new program today. After reading an article from Tom Dankowski. Sens 99, Disc 1, tone set at 1 in DE mode. First good target was a Buffalo no date visible. (First) Tire valve stem cover and an old padlock and lots of trash and some clad. Chance of snow coming in Friday night and Saturday, morning so I took advantage of the sixty-degree weather today.

Tried a new program today. After reading an article from Tom Dankowski. Sens 99, Disc 1, tone set at 1 in DE mode.
Tom is a wealth of knowledge, but his Florida soil is inert, he doesn't have to ground balance for best possible depth. On the F 75 my dirt would be considered moderate, 1 to 2 bar. Have a son and daughter in law in Nashville, and know dirt gets more mineralized that way. I am in W Tn. HH jim tn

Tom is a wealth of knowledge, but his Florida soil is inert, he doesn't have to ground balance for best possible depth. On the F 75 my dirt would be considered moderate, 1 to 2 bar. Have a son and daughter in law in Nashville, and know dirt gets more mineralized that way. I am in W Tn. HH jim tn

I'm a hour south of Nashville.

Tried a new program today. After reading an article from Tom Dankowski. Sens 99, Disc 1, tone set at 1 in DE mode. First good target was a Buffalo no date visible. (First) Tire valve stem cover and an old padlock and lots of trash and some clad. Chance of snow coming in Friday night and Saturday, morning so I took advantage of the sixty-degree weather today.
MidTN, Thank you for your post, but as I often notice there are some questions I have that many might wonder about, and then I have some personal questions to satisfy my own curiosity.

Congratulations on finding, what I consider, the most attractive US 5¢ we made. I used to find a lot of Buffalo's in the latter '60s and through the '70s, but in the mid-'80s to the present my Shield and 'V' 5¢ recoveries far outnumber the Buffalo's. Then you mentioned finding some clad and a lot of trash, but I was curious what type of a site you were hunting? A remote location, an urban park, private yard, old school site, ????

Questions: Which F75 model do you have? What search coil were you using? Did you just do a Ground Grab or a Manual GB, if you did any at all, and what was the Ground Balance or Ground Phase read-out where you hunted?

I have 8 detector models in my personal Detector Team, and a total of 10 units because I have doubles of two models. I decided I sometimes get overloaded with detectors and I made a decision when in the hospital in November to mid-December that I need to thin my 'Team' to no more than 10. So, I thinned one out and replaced it about a month ago with a brand new F75+. I've had the other F75 models, even up to about two years ago, but I didn't hang onto them long because I had too many detectors and, at the time, I had a T2+ and it was fine for what I wanted at the time, sort of. Then I survey what I had and what I might like to fit in the line-up of detectors to grab for the different types of sites I will hunt, and there were a few reasons why the F75+ was more appealing to me, to 'complement' the detectors I already have.

Now, I know why I like the settings I use for different types of hunt site environments, but in some phone and e-mail conversations I have had lately, we have discussed 'settings' and that brings me to often ask the 'Why?' questions. I am curious, and I have found that a lot of people do not know what some settings do or don't-do, or how they might help or hinder the performance they are trying to get So, here goes:

Sensitivity: I have all my detectors start-up at or very close to a maximum setting, and my F75+ will turn-on at '99'. Why do you use that Sensitivity setting?
Discriminate Level: Most of the time I start the F75+ at '7', but adjust a desired based on the site lactation. Why do you choose a Disc. Level of '1'?

Tone ID: My start-up is usually '3' based on typical places I hunt, however my 2nd choice would be '2h' or '2L'. Why do you like a Tone ID setting of '1'?
Process: My start-up is in DE which woks well in a wide range of hunt areas, however, when not in a very littered site, AND when there is a likelihood of some targets that might be a bit deeper, I switch to Bp which works quite well. Do you use anything other than DE?
Ground Balance: I adjust when I change to some very different ground mineral conditions, or when I am in a restively target-free environment and have some good ground to balance to. Otherwise, since most of my detecting is in a generally consist4nt ground, and also most places have an abundance of trash preventing me from finding a clean patch of dirt, I simply have the GB that handles the general area ground conditions well, then I shut town so the turn-on memory retains that desired GB setting. Do you always GB at start-up, and do you use a Manual or Automated GB?

Monte

MidTN, Thank you for your post, but as I often notice there are some questions I have that many might wonder about, and then I have some personal questions to satisfy my own curiosity.

Congratulations on finding, what I consider, the most attractive US 5¢ we made. I used to find a lot of Buffalo's in the latter '60s and through the '70s, but in the mid-'80s to the present my Shield and 'V' 5¢ recoveries far outnumber the Buffalo's. Then you mentioned finding some clad and a lot of trash, but I was curious what type of a site you were hunting? A remote location, an urban park, private yard, old school site, ????

Questions: Which F75 model do you have? What search coil were you using? Did you just do a Ground Grab or a Manual GB, if you did any at all, and what was the Ground Balance or Ground Phase read-out where you hunted?

I have 8 detector models in my personal Detector Team, and a total of 10 units because I have doubles of two models. I decided I sometimes get overloaded with detectors and I made a decision when in the hospital in November to mid-December that I need to thin my 'Team' to no more than 10. So, I thinned one out and replaced it about a month ago with a brand new F75+. I've had the other F75 models, even up to about two years ago, but I didn't hang onto them long because I had too many detectors and, at the time, I had a T2+ and it was fine for what I wanted at the time, sort of. Then I survey what I had and what I might like to fit in the line-up of detectors to grab for the different types of sites I will hunt, and there were a few reasons why the F75+ was more appealing to me, to 'complement' the detectors I already have.

Now, I know why I like the settings I use for different types of hunt site environments, but in some phone and e-mail conversations I have had lately, we have discussed 'settings' and that brings me to often ask the 'Why?' questions. I am curious, and I have found that a lot of people do not know what some settings do or don't-do, or how they might help or hinder the performance they are trying to get So, here goes:

Sensitivity: I have all my detectors start-up at or very close to a maximum setting, and my F75+ will turn-on at '99'. Why do you use that Sensitivity setting?
Discriminate Level: Most of the time I start the F75+ at '7', but adjust a desired based on the site lactation. Why do you choose a Disc. Level of '1'?

Tone ID: My start-up is usually '3' based on typical places I hunt, however my 2nd choice would be '2h' or '2L'. Why do you like a Tone ID setting of '1'?
Process: My start-up is in DE which woks well in a wide range of hunt areas, however, when not in a very littered site, AND when there is a likelihood of some targets that might be a bit deeper, I switch to Bp which works quite well. Do you use anything other than DE?
Ground Balance: I adjust when I change to some very different ground mineral conditions, or when I am in a restively target-free environment and have some good ground to balance to. Otherwise, since most of my detecting is in a generally consist4nt ground, and also most places have an abundance of trash preventing me from finding a clean patch of dirt, I simply have the GB that handles the general area ground conditions well, then I shut town so the turn-on memory retains that desired GB setting. Do you always GB at start-up, and do you use a Manual or Automated GB?

Monte
I have the LTD version. I was using the Cors Fortune coil. Soil registered at 53. DE Mode. Site is a new permission home site dated 1886. Started sensitivity at 99 then lowered to 90. Started with 1 tone. I never have used this tone before so I thought I would try it out. I normally use 3H tone. I did a manual ground grab. Discrimination set at 6 the whole time. I'm still learning the machine but wanted to try something different from my normal settings.

My normal settings Disc 15, Sens 80-90, 3H tone in DE mode. Ground balance in my area does not vary much 48-54 is the norm.

Last edited:
I have the LTD version. I was using the Cors Fortune coil. Soil registered at 53. DE Mode. Site is a new permission home site dated 1886. Started sensitivity at 99 then lowered to 90. Started with 1 tone. I never have used this tone before so I thought I would try it out. I normally use 3H tone. I did a manual ground grab. Discrimination set at 6 the whole time. I'm still learning the machine but wanted to try something different from my normal settings.

My
normal settings Disc 15, Sens 80-90, 3H tone in DE mode. Ground balance in my area does not vary much 48-54 is the norm.
I used a CORs Fortune on a different make/model and was impressed with it's performance, just like with the NEL Snake and Sharpshooter coils I've tried. P3raonqlly I am, not a huge fan of aqftermark3t coils, even though I have used a lot of them, especially since about '98 as I was provided a lot of coils for evaluation of several detector brands. Mainly Minelab and White's but two or three others as well.

Currently I own and use 10 detectors in my 'team' and all of a main-use coils mounted, and only two have another coil I might swap onto them for certain applications. But of all of them I only have 1 aftermarket coil and I'm debating to keep it or not. The coil is a 5X8 MaGiC DD solid-body. I don't care for where it came from, but it is solidly built, works excellent on the Fisher F75+ and Patriot, and I have less EMI with it than most of the FTP search coils in the same location. Very stabile by comparison and the VDI's lock-on well.

And I am talking about hunting where the ground mineralization is a challenge due to a high iron content. I envy you and others who work ground with such a low Ground Phase read-out and equally low Fe3O4 conditions to deal with. Your settings are interesting. I always like to hear some of the Iron present so I do not reject it at the '15' break-point. Instead, I keep my Disc. level set at '7' and sometimes '6'. For Coin hunting various urban locations I also like the 3H Tone ID and work in DE process at turn-on, changing when I feel it is my favor. Coil is the main item of interest for many, and since I spend the bulk of my search time tackling both ferrous and modern trash, my F75+ is keeping the 3½X6½ Concentric coil mounted. As an alternate coil for fringe areas or lower-target lactations, I am trying to decide which mid-size coil I want to keep???

Waiting to hear about your next trip afield with the F75.

Monte

I used a CORs Fortune on a different make/model and was impressed with it's performance, just like with the NEL Snake and Sharpshooter coils I've tried. P3raonqlly I am, not a huge fan of aqftermark3t coils, even though I have used a lot of them, especially since about '98 as I was provided a lot of coils for evaluation of several detector brands. Mainly Minelab and White's but two or three others as well.

Currently I own and use 10 detectors in my 'team' and all of a main-use coils mounted, and only two have another coil I might swap onto them for certain applications. But of all of them I only have 1 aftermarket coil and I'm debating to keep it or not. The coil is a 5X8 MaGiC DD solid-body. I don't care for where it came from, but it is solidly built, works excellent on the Fisher F75+ and Patriot, and I have less EMI with it than most of the FTP search coils in the same location. Very stabile by comparison and the VDI's lock-on well.

And I am talking about hunting where the ground mineralization is a challenge due to a high iron content. I envy you and others who work ground with such a low Ground Phase read-out and equally low Fe3O4 conditions to deal with. Your settings are interesting. I always like to hear some of the Iron present so I do not reject it at the '15' break-point. Instead, I keep my Disc. level set at '7' and sometimes '6'. For Coin hunting various urban locations I also like the 3H Tone ID and work in DE process at turn-on, changing when I feel it is my favor. Coil is the main item of interest for many, and since I spend the bulk of my search time tackling both ferrous and modern trash, my F75+ is keeping the 3½X6½ Concentric coil mounted. As an alternate coil for fringe areas or lower-target lactations, I am trying to decide which mid-size coil I want to keep???

Waiting to hear about your next trip afield with the F75.

Monte
The F 75 has worked great for me already this year. Found a Silver child's ring, 1924 Merc and three Buff's in the last two weeks. On the F 75 last hunt had Disc set at 15, Sens 99 in DE mode. Hunted in the middle of town with no EMI issues. Target depth was 5-7 inches.

"MidTN", Thank You for the reply. Got busy with stuff, had a fall and broke some ribs so I've been behind on replies.

I typically run my Disc. With most detectors to 'just barely reject' or 'just barely accept' Iron Nails and seldom at the Ferroys / Non-Ferrous break-point unless in typical urban Coin Hunting environments. Then, I might bump the rejection up maybe 40-50% of the time.

Keep up the good success.

Monte

Geez, how did I miss this ???

I read the same article. I’ve been trying his recommendations here in N Idaho. So far I believe I’m getting hits on mainly coins I maybe wouldnt otherwise get. Ground grab for me is consistent 67-68 and with Sens set at 99 Im getting clearer hits down to 8”+. I set then Disc at 10 just because of the iron junk in the one big area we hunt. With tones set at 1 I have to pay more attention to the sound of the tone along with watching the VDI. Iron falsing not so obnoxious and lower iron signals eliminated but the higher hits lets me know I’m getting into a junky area.
So far its pretty quick to adapt to so thats nice.
Im running an F75Special Edition. If the area is pretty clean I will drop back to factory default and run 3H tones.

Im running an F75Special Edition. If the area is pretty clean I will drop back to factory default and run 3H tones.

RonStar. Which Process are you using and which coil?

I always make sure to shut down in dE or Default process so I start up ready-to-go in that Process which I use the most. Also in 3H Tone the most with Disc. at '7' since I also like hearing some of the iron.

Pulled a couple of small rivits at 6" to 7" today that had.my hopes up for an older coin keeper. That was using the 3.5X6.5 Con. I keep mounted on it. Still trying to decide on a mid-sizr coil for the F75+.

Monte

Monte,
Running DE and using an SEF 12x10 Butterfly. This coil is really good for the areas I hunt around here, if I need to go smaller the Sharpshooter gets the nod.
Running in settings as mentioned I pulled two fairly old 22 Short cases the other day from an old homestead site, both were 7-8” down and the pinpoint with that coil was dead on!

For some reason when the F75 is in any other setting than one tone anything past a discrimination setting of six automatically shifts to a setting of fifteen.Personally,I ground grab,sensitivity @ 88,one tone,disc @ 5,Tornado coil.Maybe it’s the hot soil but I use what we call the “Sovereign “ wiggle and try to get a rising vdi. I’m also in Southern Middle Tennessee…

I’ve heard that about the disc level….. if I’m in 10 on disc I do get 11 thru 15 squawks but nothing like running just factory DE. If I set it to 15 then it seems the high 97-99 falsing blips show up. Its a never ending fight but in the long run its ok. The article also says to dig anything above 6 but I’m thinking that has to be relic hunting?

I’ve heard that about the disc level….. if I’m in 10 on disc I do get 11 thru 15 squawks but nothing like running just factory DE. If I set it to 15 then it seems the high 97-99 falsing blips show up. Its a never ending fight but in the long run its ok. The article also says to dig anything above 6 but I’m thinking that has to be relic hunting?
I do mostly relic hunting but still manage to find a few coins.The trick is to watch for bouncing or rising vdi’s which indicate a deep or small non ferrous target.I usually watch for 10+.

RonStar & david bull: Just to add a little to the coversation.

My thoughts on Coin Hunting and Relic Hunting are that it is mainly the location hunted and the anticipate trash for those sites. For me, Coin Hunting is associated with typical urban locations such as parks, schools and yards. Tot-Lots, parking straps, sports fields, etc. A Relic Hunting location would be someplace remote from a city-type site like a plowed field, homestead, farm or ranch location, a barn or out-building, remote dance hall or other sspecial-use location.

One with mostly modern non-ferrous trash, the other with quite an array of ferrous-based debris to include iron nails, iron bolts, screws, etc., all sorts of ferrous based discards, to deal with. But in all cases some of the desired finds are old coins, trade tokens, and 'oddities' associated with former location habitation or activity. That could be jewelry, thimbles, animal ear tags, old locks, bullets, cartridge cases, and all sorts of stuff.

Therefore it boils down to what each of us are searching for, and our decisions on detector choice, coil choice and settings used. For either type of hunting I favor brushier, trashier and more challenging environments and that's why 99% of the time I use smaller to mid-size coils and very seldom select a 'standard' or larger-size search coil.

I do not have noisey behavior or issues in any 'process' and changing the Disc level or Tone ID on my F75+. It is functioning well as it was designed. I just try to learn that make and model to get to know their design strengths and weaknesses.

Curious what smaller-size coils you prefer to use in trashier or more confined locations? You ought to tyr and get away to join us for our 14th Welcome-to-Hunt Òuting this coming June 15th thru 19th in Wells, Nevada. At least 4 old ghost towns we hunt and have averaged 15 to 25 participants on the first 13 Outings.

The oldest US Silver coin found so far was an 1836 Capped Bust Dime, found by Darby from Idaho, using his F75 w/5" DD coil.

I wish I had Ronstars decent dirt to hunt in. I hope you both have inviting ground and search opportunities in the coming days.

Monte

Went back to that playfield today with just one mission in mind, dig everything that sounded good or hit two ways. Interesting day……
Put F75 in 99 Sens, 6 Disc, 1Notch, 1Tone and DE mode. GB was 68 as expected. I was surprised at the parameters on zincolns, everything from 48 to the expected 59-61. The more disintegrated the coin the lower the numbers. Usually folded gum wrappers/foil seals from bottles hit 20-21 so curious when 18-19 locked up. Dug a half of a broach or earring (junker). Next had a low tab 37-38 and a small “cuddling birds” piece came out. All junk pieces but non the less numbers I usually would ignore. Finally landed a solid 83-84 and a good ol quarter confirmed.
Now two strange hits. Had a solid dime 75 but confidence graph at 1 bar. Finally found a small brass set screw at 6-7”. Next was a series of hold my breath and dig! Hit a solid 91-92, could it be another Ike laying out here? Dug up an 6” plastic spike that had a 4” diameter safety orange colored top. Only reason I found it was there was a big ol washer under the top and it was about the size of a Eisenhower Dollar (actually dug four total). No idea what they are used for but I can recycle and find a use. Last find was a very small brass nozzle or fuel jet. Just like the dime it was 5-6” down and rang like a dime.
I really cant say if regular settings of 80 Sens, 15 Disc, 1Notch, 3H Tone and DE would have got those dinky targets. Had the SEF 12x10 on…..it absolutely centered those two small brass pieces!!!
Lastly, dug a small braided ring with a square knot on top, it rang up as zinc too (junk).

Attachments

• 39415B2B-A670-4FF9-9245-A91BB0D76C9B.jpeg
    39415B2B-A670-4FF9-9245-A91BB0D76C9B.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 143
  • BE1D2396-9BC4-4821-9CAD-C2DBA042B6F8.jpeg
    BE1D2396-9BC4-4821-9CAD-C2DBA042B6F8.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 154