Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Todays find......a shield nickel?

JamesBondaka

Got a deep signal today.....about 10-11" in sandy soil. Popped this up. I thnk its a shield nickel....had to look it up.....produced 1866-1883. My oldest find so far....and it shows it. I could maybe clean it up some but I dont think it would help.

n/t

Go ahead and rub some olive or mineral oil into it. It will definitely help it and it won't hurt it. You might even be able to glean a date from it.

Sure looks like a Shield Nickel to me - congrats !

Wow! :surprised: Old and deep! A fellow has to be pretty good to get that nickel...Good Job!:clapping:
Mud

Congrats, I've been after one of those all summer. I found a lot of V nickels,buffaloes,war nickels but I want a shield.

Thanks all!

407...I did put some olive oil on it......I think I see a 67.....so 1867....I will soak it more and see what happens.

I have added another pic....I'm pretty sure I see a 5 in the center. What do you think?

It does look copper though. Upon further examination....it appears to have some stars around the 5 which would be like a shield nickel. If it had a wreath....then 2 cent piece. Again, it does look like copper.

A bit risky but you might boil it in peroxide for a minute or two then soak in olive oil then tooth brush it. I have used the peroxide on a couple of coppers lately that I decided were worth the risk because before all i had was an unidentifiable copper coin.
Very nice find. That one is still on my list.

Not sure if this pic will help identify and it's also in bad shape like yours but it IS a shield nickel and the only one I've ever dug. I think you got one!!!!! WTG....!!!!!!

Bill,

I will try the peroxide trick. I will post what I come up with. thanks

oneguy said:
Not sure if this pic will help identify and it's also in bad shape like yours but it IS a shield nickel and the only one I've ever dug. I think you got one!!!!! WTG....!!!!!!

I do believe I see a very faint 1867. It rings up like a nickel and looks very similar to yours. I think you helped figure it out.....Thanks

A 2 cent piece is slightly smaller in diameter than a US quarter. It would probably be more of a green patina than a nickel, which is likely reddish. Also a quick way to tell, is to scan the coin with your machine. My CTX read 12-12 on a shield nickel and 12-41 on my 2 center......Regardless of which coin it is, it is a really nice find....

C&RHunter said:
A 2 cent piece is slightly smaller in diameter than a US quarter. It would probably be more of a green patina than a nickel, which is likely reddish. Also a quick way to tell, is to scan the coin with your machine. My CTX read 12-12 on a shield nickel and 12-41 on my 2 center......Regardless of which coin it is, it is a really nice find....

You are right.....this is nickel size. It scan 12-10. Thanks for the info!