Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Today's old homestead finds...

coinsh00ter

Went to my uncles farm, and hunted at the end of an old hedge row, that is now a field. Lots of old iron junk, but any little relics I have found seem to date the area at the late 1800's. Today I found a nice IH and a little copper buckle. This was my first coin at the site. I scanned that small copper piece, because that was found at 6" and locked on. The IH locked on at 30, and gave a nice repeatable tone. I used a 6" 7.5 khz coil today that helped with the iron junk, but I bet I dug 5 lbs of slag. I had previously used a 10.5" 18.75khz dd coil. Loved the iron too much. I look forward to going back with a 9 inch 3 khz, to see if it locks onto copper and silver better. I can't get any ground coverage with the 6"er. I have yet to dig anything of value that jumps around more than a couple of digits on the display. If it hits at 30 something, then jumps up to 44 or 45, then back down. pinpointing in the negatives, it has always been iron.

I had to cut the hunt short, lots of thunder in the area. Don't want to be in a field with a lesche shovel when lightening hits!

Dave in NJ

Looks like you had a great day. The Indian heads are always fantastic finds. Please let us know how the 3kHz coil works. I've read that it may tend to ignore some of the shallow coins, but finds the deeper one's. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I have not read too many posts from anyone using the 3 kHz coil. The 10.5" 7.5kHz DD would most likely do better that the 18.75kHz where you are hunting.

Good hunting, John K

Nice IH. Let us know how the 3 kHz works for you. As I have posted several times, it is my favorite coil for hunting old farmsites. It is HOT on silver and copper coins. Deep or shallow! And I dig far less iron with it than any other coil. One other "trick" I've been testing lately is running my X-70 in multi-tone mode, all metal. That audio, combined with the inherit capabilities of the 3 kHz coil makes iron sound much more distinct. Even when it bounces around +48, deep iron gives that "fluted" harmonic sound, like other ferrous targets do. JMHO HH Randy