Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tone Roll

MikeLab

I have never seen any info posted on the Tone Roll feature. I'll start. Tone Roll gives several quick tones in succession mainly over nails. I have noticed coins on the surface will give the Tone Roll. If I lift the coil up a couple inches it gives a clean tone. Anyone else have anything to add here?

I wonder if frozen ground has any effect on Tone Roll. I have not noticed it nearly as much, but now it seems like all surface coins give the response when ground is frozen solid. Maybe the AT Gold is more sensitive to this, I don't know. I guess not too many people have even tried it. LOL

Doesnt tone roll just mean it reads say the outside edge of a bottlecap differently then the flat part, basically it gives you the iron-hightone-iron sounds with iron audio on to help you decide its a bottlecap? A shallow coin or surface coin gives off several signals because it will read it off the side of the coil also, im pretty sure thats right, my explorer definently does the same thing on shallow clad, i think its normal with all dd coils, you just lift it up and then you can get it centered, i dont think that has anything to do with tone roll

Tone Roll is like a drum roll, I think. Maybe I am not using the correct terms here. I know what you are talking about the low-high-low flanking over bottel caps. That is not what I am talking about. I am referring to several tones very fast. There is not much info on it that's why I asked if anyone knows more about it.

Thanks for the link. I don't know, that doesn't seem like what I am talking about. I read about it somewhere, now I can't find it. It kinda sounds like a machine gun. Obviously it is not called Tone Roll. I'll look some more.

I guess most people are hybernating. I have heard what I call a "sputter" many times and thought it was junk targets. Now I realize it might be surface targets. So my suggestion is to lift the coil up a few inches and recheck if you hear that sound. I tried lowering the sensitivity but that made little difference. Maybe this is a double D thing, I don't know. I use the 5x8 DD

The review of the ATP in the December 2011 Western & Eastern Treasures goes into some detail on the tone roll.

Let me place some excepts in for you.

Proportional Audio- allows one to hear the subtle differences being exhibited by the target. Not only target depth can be judged by the sound, but target size and shape as well.

Tone Roll- In Pro Mode that signal produces a High-Low-High sound (Tone Roll) as the coil approaches and passes over the bottle cap.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. This is not the low-high-low tones that a bottle cap and most iron gives. It is a like four or five quick tones in rapid succession. It's not that big of a deal. I checked the AT Pro manual and did not find anything on it.

MikeLab said:
Thanks for the link. I don't know, that doesn't seem like what I am talking about. I read about it somewhere, now I can't find it. It kinda sounds like a machine gun. Obviously it is not called Tone Roll. I'll look some more.
You may be thinking of what they call an overload signal.A overload signal can occur on some metal detectors.More so i think if the detector is equipped with tone id.If a target is to close to the coil the detector will produce a overload signal.I don't know if the AT Pro does this or not,because i don't have one.Yet anyway. :O

That is exactly what Proportional Audio does! You will hear sounds that are alike but separate when you hit several pieces of the same material. I have found a single strand of wire that was bent to the shape of a W that will make several sounds, successively, at the same tone. If you line up several coins close together it would do the same. In these cases you have to watch the vdi as you pass over them to see if there is a change. If not it is most likely the same material or even the same item.