Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

tones on the ATPro question?

Ok I just recently got this fine machine. I like it but the tones kinda drive me nuts. Maybe its just me but is there any way to change the tones? I have run it in standard and Pro. Both are a no go. I am coming from a Whites MX sport and Minelab Explorer Se. I like the machine and the iron audio is very nice.

Thanks Koz

I really do not understand what you mean. The tones you hear only sound off when you pass over something why would want too change them???

Yes the tones the sound it self is unpleasant. The minelab tomes are Flute like and such. Much more pleasant than the ATPro Bell tone.

Dear. The at pro is great machine so with standard mode you can have more depth than pro mode and just keep it in zero mode then ignore the iron to 40 ..

There are the bell tones in standard mode and then the tone(s) of pro zero mode. I didn't care for the bell tones when I got my first A T Pro, either. The pro zero tones are one of the main reasons, however, I got my second A T. I think its just a matter of using it enough to get used to the tones. I really only hunt in pro zero and learned to love hearing those faint, soft high tone wisps. Good luck, the A T Pro is one heck of a machine. HH jim tn

Dear. In my pleasure to given to you my experience with 1 year ... with standard mode the bell tone it will make you confused but you can't do anything so when you change the mode to pro zero mode yes you can listen the targets tone better than standard mode but just belive me im try to use the stock coil 8.5×11 and nel snake coil so the second coil better than the stock coil with great tone voice and more depth so if you want to use the at pro machine for long time you should buy nel thunder coil for open area and nel snake coil for the trash area or in the beach and forget the stock coil forever . Regards

I really think they are NO BETTER FOR THE MONEY then the stock coil. But what ever turns you on. ME 45 YEARS DETECTING, LAST 10 YEARS 30+ HOURS A WEEK. IF ALL THESE SOUNDS BOTHER YOU MAYBE YOU SHOULD FIND A NEW HOBBY(LIKE KNITTING)

tarajudy said:
I really think they are NO BETTER FOR THE MONEY then the stock coil. But what ever turns you on. ME 45 YEARS DETECTING, LAST 10 YEARS 30+ HOURS A WEEK. IF ALL THESE SOUNDS BOTHER YOU MAYBE YOU SHOULD FIND A NEW HOBBY(LIKE KNITTING)

Its the simple fact that I don't like the bell type tones. I am surprised ya can still hear the tones with you getting so long in the tooth.:surprised: PS relax with the all caps....

As per any new machine. and in your case coming from an Explorer and Whites experience, you have a learning curve ahead of you. If you run the iron audio turned on, set at zero, with full sensitivity, you will deinitely get a chatty detector. This will get even worse if you are in a trashy area and near any EMI producing lines. So.........here;s a few things you can do to help.

-Try turning down the sensitivity a notch or two
-Try changing the operating frequency (you have 4 different ones)
-If you are using the iron audio option, add a numerical value for the iron discrimination. I set mine to about 30, sometimes higher.
-If some of your falsing presents itself at a particular icon on the numerical ID spot, eliminate (notch) out that particular square.
-If the machine remains chatty, just to rule out EMI, go to another area where you are SUREthat there is no EMI
-Try to set the detector back to defaultby holding the on-off button until the unit resets itself.
-Consider taping the coil wire near the lower rod to prevent the coil wire from moving.
-Make sure all of your connection points are tight and not crossthreaded.

[size=medium]How To Get Maximum Depth[/size]

* With the AT Pro, learn and hunt in Pro mode. It is deeper then standard mode. With the AT Gold, the all metal mode is deeper then Disc 1 or Disc 2.

* Has a place been hunted out? Go back and try again after a good rain soaking. Moist wet soil gives better sensitivity and greater depth readings for targets.

* If you get a nice high tone audio and a VDI in the 70's or 80's, dig it.

* The larger the coil the deeper it goes. However, too many targets under a large coil can mask a good target. If you get a slight good audio using the large coil, lift it up 2-3 inches and center the coil where the good audio was. Often times the good target will be much clearer.

* Get a coil cover and scrub the ground. Some people scan the ground inches above it...."DON'T" You can gain a couple of inches scrubbing, which is significant.

* Don't swing too fast! Just because it has a very fast "recovery speed"......doesn't mean it can always pick out that one good silver coin amongst several pieces of junk. The electronics still need to process lots of information.

"SWING TOO FAST, YOU WILL COME IN LAST"

* Swinging too fast can make you a sloppy hunter. You also risk eventually cracking/breaking your coil and elephant ears from the constant banging on trees, playground equipment or concrete.

* If you are getting lots of EMI or increased mineralization which is causing erratic audio, try adjusting your discrimination first, before lowering the sensitivity. This sometimes lets the machine run smoother without losing any depth.

* If you get mixture of audio signals, scan the target from different directions. Sometimes a good target is beside or partially underneath a good target. The AT Series has a unique ability to pick out those good targets amongst the trash. Going at the target from different directions allows the AT Pro to perform even better!

* Ground balance your machine occasionally. Temperature can change, and directly affect the settings. Hunting in shade vs. sun can vary. "a 14 degree difference on a lawn area to a 35 degree difference on a parking lot." But, the mineralization can also change between areas....so again...ground balance periodically.

* To increase the depth/sensitivity to silver targets, lower the ground balanced numbersseveral points

* If you are hunting an area that is absolutely covered with nails, try ground balancing out a nail until it is nothing but a small amount of static. Now....all the copper & silver targets will give a loud audio response....BUT the target ID will be off.
*Bottle cap? Stomp hard on the target. Often times, an old bottles cap's halo will break, and the reading will change from a good coin sounding target to a bottle cap or junk.
Don't forget to use the iron audio feature if searching for coins or silver.
* Build a test garden...use good & bad targets at different depths. You will soon discover that deep silver targets beyond depths of 8 or more inches begin to not sound off as a high pitch or that the VDI numbers remain in the 80's. That is very good information to know. My rule of thumb states if it's deep....it's old. Dig it! It costs you nothing.

Good luck! Once you get comfortable with the tones, the quieter repeatable chirps, and the ID reading into the 70's-80's without any audio (a probable good target) you should be well on your way to make the AT Pro work well for you. :)

Below is an air test I did a while back. Depth will be different in a natural setting due to mineralization in your soil where you hunt, but the air test DOESshow it's maximal detection range.