Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

tones

semtav

Do you ever have days that the tones on an R2 just suck ? Had about half an hr to kill before my barber apptment so I hit lot off a park that I'd found a few interesting items before, Mainly looking to see if it would produce older coins. I usually set the tone break at 60 so I can concentrate on coins and tokens etc. Altho I found a wheat right off, the tone and vdi were way off. I never could get a good high tone on anything,
yesterday I hit a park in a different town and everything was high tone. ( lots of buried aluminum cans )
even going back to factory settings and 3 tones they sucked. am I setting something up wrong for the type of soil/ trash. ? today was more gravelly, yesterday was more dirt.

LOL ya I have days that suk. But for the most part, it is me that suks. The machine, well it does what it is designed and set up to do and does it very well.

Can you post the settings that you were using on those two hunts and the coil that you used? It will help a lot in determining and trying to figure out your dilemma.

I was using the RC29V coil. i tried a bunch of different settings including factory settings

I may have a problem. I tried it at a lot today that I hunted a week ago and found silver coins and wheats. today it just kept falsing and was unbearable. When I lifted the coil in the air it would just go up and down the line on the vdi. not sure whats doing on. switched to the 5" coil and it was ok so I ran home and got the RC26 and hunted with it.
gonna take it out of town and see if it still has issues.
Any mode I tried was that way.
I tried lowering the gain but that never helped. Not sure what else I could have adjusted if it is emi .

I'll take it out again and make a note of the different settings I try.

The only times when I had similar issues was either because the coil was faulty, the soil was saturated with water after intense rain or because GB was not set correctly. In my neck of the woods for my soil, GB is critical. If I don't set it right, detection becomes an exercise in frustration.

Also, a coil can be faulty but only periodically. This never happened to me but some coils are not 100 percent water proof (not sealed properly) and if even the tiniest amount of water seeps in, they start acting up. When dry, they function as they should. Maybe your RC29 coil needs checking.

Well it seemed the other coils were fine. I'm almost guessing it isn't an emi problem. One time I had that happen to me on a coil, I switched coils and I did not get the coil connection screwed down tight to the connector....in fact the plastic from the enviro cover got in between and caught up in the connection. My coil was very erratic and took me a few minutes to figure out the problem. The connection from the coil cable to the machine is touchy and has to be snug/tight. But maybe the stock coil might have a problem ??

I would take it out to the front yard find a clean area and throw a quarter, dime, penny & nickel on the ground.

Put some settings in that will quiet the R2 down a bit, maybe try

3 tones
gain 70
ID filter 3
Iron Audio 1 or even 0

Make sure coil connection to machine is good and tight and get a proper GB, and I just wanna see if the stock coil ID's the coins properly and isn't acting erratic. You might jiggle the wire a bit going into the coil and see if you get any reaction from that.

Not knowing what your settings were, you might have got into a trashy area ( both ferrous and non ferrous) and if you had the stock coil and your settings were opened up i.e. low disc and the iron audio was at 4 or higher, it could become a very busy noisy machine in a hurry. Basically, you would be hearing just about everything, even the iron tone would be a "loud" tone.

So I guess it is just a matter of a process of elimination to determine if the stock coil is good or bad and if good then maybe try these settings and see if it runs a little quieter.

Maybe try
3 tone
gain 70
ID Filter 3
and put the iron audio at 1 or 2. ( you will still hear iron, but just barely. It will quiet it way down.)

If you get this far, coil is good, works and ID's good, then you might have an EMI issue. I guess I have the luxury of not having to deal with EMI. I drive out to old ghost towns, many miles from anything. No EMI and no civilization to deal with :tongue:
Anyhow hope this will help, at least get it narrowed down to what the problem might be. Maybe Monte will see and throw in his two cents. He does a much better job at diagnostics then me lol.

And what DFMike says....."a coil can be faulty but only periodically" It just takes time and steps to sometimes get a problem narrowed down.

OK, Thanks

What I like to run is
Mode deep
ID filter at 60
Gain at 80 or 90
Iron Audio at 0

but that didn't work at all so I tried a lot of different modes and settings.
I was in a trashier area, but once it started running the VDI up and down, I could raise the coil above my head and it would still be going off.
I switched to the RC26 and the above settings and went back to hunting.
and found quite a bit of stuff.

including a wheat, mercury dime, bunch of clad etc.

So I need to take it out where there is no chance of interference and see if it works again with that coil. it has been raining here and the grass is wet, so that may be it. It acted funny yesterday at the park I stopped at too, but not near as bad as today.

Did a little testing tonight.
One thing I noticed, is when I set the ID filter to 60, I would get a lot of falsing and brief 80ish vdi's whil;e swinging in the deep mode.
By changing the ID filter back to 20 and changing the tone break to 60 and the audio tone to 60 for non ferrus I get a lot smoother hunting signal and I like the high tone for coins.

Going to go back and try this in the morning
Mode-Deep
Gain 70-90
ID Filter 20
Tone break 60
Audio tone 20/60

I started out not liking the deep mode, but I've found some deep items in this lot using it .And once you change the tones and breaks it hits nicely.

Ran it that way i deep this morning and did pretty good for a short hunt. got a wheat and a token. switched to 3 tone in a real trashy spot near the alley and picked up a silver ring.

Still need a little tweaking on settings.

Got to one point and my smaller coil started doing the same thing as the big one did yesterday but just lightly. Might have been all the moisture as it went away after a couple minutes.

OregonGregg said:
If you get this far, coil is good, works and ID's good, then you might have an EMI issue. I guess I have the luxury of not having to deal with EMI. I drive out to old ghost towns, many miles from anything. No EMI and no civilization to deal with :tongue:
Anyhow hope this will help, at least get it narrowed down to what the problem might be. Maybe Monte will see and throw in his two cents. He does a much better job at diagnostics then me lol.

Starting to think may be it. There are a big bunch of power lines running down the alley. It does seem like the coil is just pulsing from electrical current

semtav said:
Do you ever have days that the tones on an R2 just suck?
No, not really. The Racer series and my FORS series and Impact detectors all behave somewhat similarly, and that means they produce a certain number of audio tones based upon the search mode selected. I know in advance that nothing is going to always be 'perfecvt' and there are many variables that can effect any detector's audible, or visual, target response.

semtav said:
Had about half an hr to kill before my barber apptment so I hit lot off a park that I'd found a few interesting items before, Mainly looking to see if it would produce older coins. I usually set the tone break at 60 so I can concentrate on coins and tokens etc.
Have you found older coins there before? Did the park have a lot of early day activity that might have generated coin loss, and do you think this park is perhaps a little known or used place in recent years and might have been ignored by a majority of the metal detecting hobbyists in your area? It's difficult to find these days but every once-in-a-while I happen upon a now out-of-the-way park, or fin d a somewhat secluded or overgrown portion of one that hold keepers from long ago.

However, you say your Tone Break is set at '60' to concentrate on Coins and Tokens and that suggests you are using one of the 2-Tone modes and '60' might be ignoring a lot of good potential targets. By 'ignoring' I don't mean Discriminating, just shifting a lot of potentially good keepers into the lower Iron Audio range. It also makes more potentially good targets that could be ± just a bit close to the Tone Break-Point and that could be causing some of the audible responses you don't like. :shrug:

semtav said:
Altho I found a wheat right off, the tone and vdi were way off. I never could get a good high tone on anything,
How far 'off?'

What was the depth of the wheat-cent?

What was the angle or orientation to the search coil?

Was this with the stock 7X11 DD coil?

Was the coin located in dry, bare dirt, in grass, in sand, in pea gravel or an area of small rocks or ??

Was this a somewhat remote location far from power sources or other causes of EMI?

A few reminders about out Wheat-Back/Lincoln Cents:

• During their life, from 1909 through 1958, there were several changes in the metal alloys used, and that can cause TID to vary.

• From 1909 to ± 1920, many of those early 'wheats' have a lower conductivity, very similar to most Indian Head Cents. Those coins can also fall into a conductivity level that is very close to the lower-conductive modern Zinc cent. Yes, the books say the alloy content had the same mix, but it has more to do with the source of the copper used [size=small](quality or purity)[/size] as well as the refining of the copper.

• Other considerations are the ground mineral make-up and intensity any coin or other target is lost in. If it is in a highly mineralized sand, pea gravel, or just under some smaller rocks [size=small](such as used in many parking areas)[/size] you will often see the favorable target's VDI numeric read-out be degraded, possibly even to the point that a non-ferrous target response is similar to an Iron/Ferrous target with a lower Audio Tone and visual TID report.

semtav said:
yesterday I hit a park in a different town and everything was high tone. ( lots of buried aluminum cans )
even going back to factory settings and 3 tones they sucked. am I setting something up wrong for the type of soil/ trash. ? today was more gravelly, yesterday was more dirt.
The gravelly conditions can cause target signal degradement. Also, you need to be aware of all the settings that are in use.

Oh, another thing to consider is the sweep speed used. Yes, the Makro Racer series and Nokta FORS series and Impact devices do have a very fast response and recovery speed, and in very mellow conditions they can be operated with a moderate to faster sweep speed. However, they are at their best when you use a slow and methodical sweep. With any detector you can impair performance if you sweep too fast and force more ground signal to be processed.

And I noted where you have been using the DEEP mode. The DEEP mode, by design, should be used with a slower sweep speed than 2-Tone or 3-Tone conventional modes. For peak performance DEEP is at it's best with a slower and methodical sweep that might even be just a little broader than you might use with the other search modes.

semtav said:
I was using the RC29V coil. i tried a bunch of different settings including factory settings
Unless you know the Racer, or ANY detector model for that matter, really well, understanding all the control functions and how they might interact, it can be confusing to change up with a lot of different settings.

semtav said:
I may have a problem. I tried it at a lot today that I hunted a week ago and found silver coins and wheats.
Well, that's good, and it could be just a simple matter that you happened to put the coil over a good target but didn't sweep over good targets in the past.

It is also sounding like you might be in an urban environment where you have a lot of EMI issues. :confused:

semtav said:
today it just kept falsing and was unbearable. When I lifted the coil in the air it would just go up and down the line on the vdi. not sure whats doing on. switched to the 5" coil and it was ok so I ran home and got the RC26 and hunted with it.
I tried lowering the gain but that never helped. Not sure what else I could have adjusted if it is emi .

Sometimes EMI just can't be dealt with. I have had maybe four or five locations several years ago where I was unable to use three of the detectors in my arsenal at the time. I tried those sites at different times of the day and on different days of the week. EMI was just terrible.

However, I did have an option to switch to a different make/model that operated at a different frequency and I had little or no interference! At one site of town-up sidewalks and streets in inner downtown of a major NW city, even using the same operating frequency of 6.59/6.6 kHz one model [size=small](a White's XLT)[/size] performed very well w/o chatter, and after a quick 15 minute lunch break I started to rework the same section [size=small](using a modified, same-frequency White's IDX Pro)[/size] but was unable to due to severe, uncontrollable EMI. I had to get back to my vehicle and switch back to the other detector

So it wasn't a frequency related issue, but how the EMI source effected the detector's circuitry design. I did also find that after 7 PM on week night or on a weekend day, there was no EMI with any detector I used. I never learned what the source was that generated the EMI issues, but sometimes they can be just terrible. One of several reasons I enjoy getting far away from urbanization to bury myself in Relic Hunting old-use places.

semtav said:
What I like to run is
Mode deep
ID filter at 60
Gain at 80 or 90
Iron Audio at 0

I was in a trashier area, but once it started running the VDI up and down, I could raise the coil above my head and it would still be going off.
Raising a search coil in the air is inviting more problems because the coil will usually be more EMI prone, especially when a ground signal isn't being fed into the circuitry during a search with the coil properly positioned ±2" off the ground.

With an ID Filter [size=small](Discrimination)[/size] setting of '60' there's no real purpose in setting the Iron Audio Volume at '0' because you have rejected virtually all typical iron targets.

As for using DEEP mode, I use it on occasion and have the Gain/Sensitivity level Saved at '95.' I will then reduce it should I need to in order to gain stability, IF the device is unstable at the site I choose to hunt. Personally, I never run the Disc. level higher than Iron Nail rejection, and usually work with a lower Disc. level to just barely be accepting iron nails.

semtav said:

So I need to take it out where there is no chance of interference and see if it works again with that coil. it has been raining here and the grass is wet, so that may be it. It acted funny yesterday at the park I stopped at too, but not near as bad as today.
Congrats on finding good stuff. I don't think the wetted grass is the issue here. You are working the search coil about 2" off the dirt level, correct? You don't want to be too close to the ground, and make sure you don't 'scrub' the coil as that can also cause erratic behavior, to include inconsistent VDI numeric read-outs.

semtav said:
One thing I noticed, is when I set the ID filter to 60, I would get a lot of falsing and brief 80ish vdi's whil;e swinging in the deep mode.
By changing the ID filter back to 20 and changing the tone break to 60 and the audio tone to 60 for non ferrus I get a lot smoother hunting signal and I like the high tone for coins.
Interesting results, but I'll agree that I like the higher pitched audio tone setting for coins and other non-ferrous targets.

semtav said:
Mode-Deep
Gain 70-90
ID Filter 20
Tone break 60
Audio tone 20/60
I like an Audio Tone of '10' for my ferrous-range targets [size=small](everything below the Tone Break in a 2-Tone search mode)[/size] and I hardly ever run the ID Filter above '3' on a Racer 2. Also, in a 2-Tone mode, such as DEEP, my Tone Break is set right at the Ferrous/Non-Ferrous break-point.

semtav said:
I started out not liking the deep mode, but I've found some deep items in this lot using it .And once you change the tones and breaks it hits nicely.
In the wide-open/sparse-target sites where I can get the benefits DEEP mode offers, I have had very good success, by patiently working popular old-use sites.

Best of success to you working the Racer 2 and assortment of coils. I might encourage you to concentrate on one single coil and take notes just to determine if you might be having an issue with a coil and not just from EMI.

Monte

Thanks Monte, I'll get back to you on this as soon as I have time to digest everything and reply properly.
Brian

Monte said:
semtav said:
Had about half an hr to kill before my barber apptment so I hit lot off a park that I'd found a few interesting items before, Mainly looking to see if it would produce older coins. I usually set the tone break at 60 so I can concentrate on coins and tokens etc.
Have you found older coins there before?
No, a baby spoon and an old 50s fussball pin
Did the park have a lot of early day activity that might have generated coin loss, and do you think this park is perhaps a little known or used place in recent years and might have been ignored by a majority of the metal detecting hobbyists in your area? It's difficult to find these days but every once-in-a-while I happen upon a now out-of-the-way park, or fin d a somewhat secluded or overgrown portion of one that hold keepers from long ago.
Not as a park. I see digging in the park but nothing here. it is unkept except for mowing

However, you say your Tone Break is set at '60' to concentrate on Coins and Tokens and that suggests you are using one of the 2-Tone modes and '60' might be ignoring a lot of good potential targets. By 'ignoring' I don't mean Discriminating, just shifting a lot of potentially good keepers into the lower Iron Audio range. It also makes more potentially good targets that could be ± just a bit close to the Tone Break-Point and that could be causing some of the audible responses you don't like. :shrug:
Probably. was just looking for coins that day

semtav said:
Altho I found a wheat right off, the tone and vdi were way off. I never could get a good high tone on anything,
How far 'off?'

What was the depth of the wheat-cent? about 4 "

What was the angle or orientation to the search coil? don't know. was in a loose pile of gravel dirt when I finally spotted it

Was this with the stock 7X11 DD coil? yes

Was the coin located in dry, bare dirt, in grass, in sand, in pea gravel or an area of small rocks or ?? damp small rocks with little dirt grass on top

Was this a somewhat remote location far from power sources or other causes of EMI? didn't hear any emi. but here are lights for night bames nearby
A few reminders about out Wheat-Back/Lincoln Cents:

• During their life, from 1909 through 1958, there were several changes in the metal alloys used, and that can cause TID to vary.

• From 1909 to ± 1920, many of those early 'wheats' have a lower conductivity, very similar to most Indian Head Cents. Those coins can also fall into a conductivity level that is very close to the lower-conductive modern Zinc cent. Yes, the books say the alloy content had the same mix, but it has more to do with the source of the copper used [size=small](quality or purity)[/size] as well as the refining of the copper.

• Other considerations are the ground mineral make-up and intensity any coin or other target is lost in. If it is in a highly mineralized sand, pea gravel, or just under some smaller rocks [size=small](such as used in many parking areas)[/size] you will often see the favorable target's VDI numeric read-out be degraded, possibly even to the point that a non-ferrous target response is similar to an Iron/Ferrous target with a lower Audio Tone and visual TID report.

semtav said:
The gravelly conditions can cause target signal degradement. Also, you need to be aware of all the settings that are in use.Thats what I was wondering

Oh, another thing to consider is the sweep speed used. Yes, the Makro Racer series and Nokta FORS series and Impact devices do have a very fast response and recovery speed, and in very mellow conditions they can be operated with a moderate to faster sweep speed. However, they are at their best when you use a slow and methodical sweep. With any detector you can impair performance if you sweep too fast and force more ground signal to be processed.

And I noted where you have been using the DEEP mode. The DEEP mode, by design, should be used with a slower sweep speed than 2-Tone or 3-Tone conventional modes. For peak performance DEEP is at it's best with a slower and methodical sweep that might even be just a little broader than you might use with the other search modes.

I try to go slow, but probably faster than I should. used to an mxt

semtav said:
Unless you know the Racer, or ANY detector model for that matter, really well, understanding all the control functions and how they might interact, it can be confusing to change up with a lot of different settings.

semtav said:
I may have a problem. I tried it at a lot today that I hunted a week ago and found silver coins and wheats.
Well, that's good, and it could be just a simple matter that you happened to put the coil over a good target but didn't sweep over good targets in the past.

It is also sounding like you might be in an urban environment where you have a lot of EMI issues. :confused:

Went out a couple days ago in same are with a smaler coil and was getting same noise jsut not as bad. So I think it is emi. maybe worse when wet as first day I hunted it it was quiet. put the big col on yesterday and hit a remote location and it worked perfect.

semtav said:
today it just kept falsing and was unbearable. When I lifted the coil in the air it would just go up and down the line on the vdi. not sure whats doing on. switched to the 5" coil and it was ok so I ran home and got the RC26 and hunted with it.

Sometimes EMI just can't be dealt with. I have had maybe four or five locations several years ago where I was unable to use three of the detectors in my arsenal at the time. I tried those sites at different times of the day and on different days of the week. EMI was just terrible.

However, I did have an option to switch to a different make/model that operated at a different frequency and I had little or no interference! At one site of town-up sidewalks and streets in inner downtown of a major NW city, even using the same operating frequency of 6.59/6.6 kHz one model [size=small](a White's XLT)[/size] performed very well w/o chatter, and after a quick 15 minute lunch break I started to rework the same section [size=small](using a modified, same-frequency White's IDX Pro)[/size] but was unable to due to severe, uncontrollable EMI. I had to get back to my vehicle and switch back to the other detector

So it wasn't a frequency related issue, but how the EMI source effected the detector's circuitry design. I did also find that after 7 PM on week night or on a weekend day, there was no EMI with any detector I used. I never learned what the source was that generated the EMI issues, but sometimes they can be just terrible. One of several reasons I enjoy getting far away from urbanization to bury myself in Relic Hunting old-use places.

semtav said:
What I like to run is
Mode deep
ID filter at 60
Gain at 80 or 90
Iron Audio at 0

Raising a search coil in the air is inviting more problems because the coil will usually be more EMI prone, especially when a ground signal isn't being fed into the circuitry during a search with the coil properly positioned ±2" off the ground.

With an ID Filter [size=small](Discrimination)[/size] setting of '60' there's no real purpose in setting the Iron Audio Volume at '0' because you have rejected virtually all typical iron targets.

As for using DEEP mode, I use it on occasion and have the Gain/Sensitivity level Saved at '95.' I will then reduce it should I need to in order to gain stability, IF the device is unstable at the site I choose to hunt. Personally, I never run the Disc. level higher than Iron Nail rejection, and usually work with a lower Disc. level to just barely be accepting iron nails.

semtav said:

Congrats on finding good stuff. I don't think the wetted grass is the issue here. You are working the search coil about 2" off the dirt level, correct? You don't want to be too close to the ground, and make sure you don't 'scrub' the coil as that can also cause erratic behavior, to include inconsistent VDI numeric read-outs.

semtav said:
Interesting results, but I'll agree that I like the higher pitched audio tone setting for coins and other non-ferrous targets.

semtav said:
Mode-Deep
Gain 70-90
ID Filter 20
Tone break 60
Audio tone 20/60
I like an Audio Tone of '10' for my ferrous-range targets [size=small](everything below the Tone Break in a 2-Tone search mode)[/size] and I hardly ever run the ID Filter above '3' on a Racer 2. Also, in a 2-Tone mode, such as DEEP, my Tone Break is set right at the Ferrous/Non-Ferrous break-point.

semtav said:
In the wide-open/sparse-target sites where I can get the benefits DEEP mode offers, I have had very good success, by patiently working popular old-use sites.

Best of success to you working the Racer 2 and assortment of coils. I might encourage you to concentrate on one single coil and take notes just to determine if you might be having an issue with a coil and not just from EMI.

Monte

Thanks for all the ideas etc. Gonna go back to two tone for a while til I get better with it. it is a little easier to use

Each different audio option can provide benefits for different people and for different applications / reasons.

semtav said:
Thanks for all the ideas etc. Gonna go back to two tone for a while til I get better with it. it is a little easier to use
I do some Coin & Jewelry Hunting in urban environments that include a lot of picnic areas and deal with the 'crown cap' type bottle caps a lot, plus most coins are located relatively shallow, such as in the upper ±4" or so. I also spend over 85% of my detecting time in ghost towns, homesteads and other sites that have an abundance of iron nails, rusty tin sheet iron, and other ferrous debris. Because there is such a dense scattering of coins, trade tokens, metal buttons and small artifacts along with closely associated junk, I use smaller coils 90% of the time.

Also, due to the amount of ferrous-based trash associated with places I hunt the most, I have found the Di3 mode to work the best for me with the processed 3-Tone audio. At times I do opt for VLX1, and when Coin Hunting in trashier areas I might use Di4 or VLX2. But Di3 gets the nod the majority of the time in dense iron trash and when using a smaller-size search coil [size=small](this includes the round 5" DD, the elliptical 4X7½DD and the new round 7" Concentric coils)[/size].

In low-to-modest trash I will use a mid-sized coil, which includes the 7" Concentric, new 5X9½ DD and stock 7X11 DD coils, and doing so I use Di2 the mist as I really like the 2-Tone VCO enhanced response.

Naturally this is with the Nokta Impact, but the same applies to using the Racer 2 except for Di4 and the two VLX modes. I am sure that the more you use and learn the Racer 2, the more you'll enjoy opting for Di3 in times of need.

Monte

Ha ! you about lost me there for a minute, VLX1, VLX2 and Di4. thought I was totally ignorant til you said the impact.