Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Took the Vista X out for a quick trial

BootyHunter

Picked up a Vista X last week, I wanted it to try in some really iron infested places, figuring maybe I would dig some stuff with the analog audio that I may have missed with my "screened machines". Now its hotter than blue blazes right now, and Im mostly a relic and old house site hunter and thats for fall winter and spring. In the summer I stick to water hunting. But I really wanted to try out the Vista so I spent an hour yesterday morning, air temp was 80 at 8am with 90% humidity, so it was pretty miserable in my book. I went to an old school built in the 1930's, thats been closed since the 1970's. Ive hit this place with lots of detectors and some high end detectors at that. Ive found lots of wheats, some 60's and 70's clad, a couple of silver coins, and 1 V nickel that had been worn on a necklace, as it had about 4 links of gold chain still through the hole on it, this was all in the past with other machines. The place had gotten void of signals last times I was there.
So I set off with the X, ground balanced nearly 12o'clock on the dial, gain set pretty high, disc at the preset, alt disc of 37 to try tk break up right around the zinc range. I found a clad quarter, newer state quarter, this place is used by the county to store things and I assumed a county worker dropped it. There is an old sidewalk that leads to the front steps, I concentrated in it and dug alot of nonferrous targets. I had a really good signal, checked it in alt, and about 6" down right beside the sidewalk I got a 195? Wheatie. Good sign, since I have worn that sidealk out with every machine Ive ever taken there. So I think this machine may do exaclty what I got it for, encourage me to dig more targets that I would call junk with vdi numbers. Alot of the signals, most of them actually, were junk, but if I can get a few keepers then its worth it. Now of course I could just dig everything and ignore vdi numbers altogether, and relic hunting I do dig everything above iron. But with this penny, I think the signal was pulled down to iron on other machines due to surrounding bits of iron and the Vista X reported the coin through all of that. Excellent! Oh and I did dig a pencil eraser top, old glass screw in fuse and some other nonferrous targets that I had passed over, yes they are junk, but what if an old flat button or other relic read as junk due to surrounding ground or iron? I think having different detectors and hitting a site with them all has merit, and thats my plan.

Attachments

• 20200718_090446.jpg
    20200718_090446.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 203
  • 20200718_090642.jpg
    20200718_090642.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 210
  • 20200718_093242.jpg
    20200718_093242.jpg
    797.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 20200718_090451.jpg
    20200718_090451.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 209
"I think having different detectors and hitting a site with them all has merit, and that's my plan."

Couldn't agree with you more!

As you learn the audio and the machine, it only gets better. The audio has almost unnoticed nuances, once learned, will cut back on how much you dig...R
Thanks Richard, I agree, I'm sure with time one c pi uld get clues as to what is under the coil with the way the signal soinds and reacts.

Booty Hunter,

Congratulations on your efforts. Not just those looking for stuff, but the effort for learning a new and different detector. The Vista X offers a lot of potential, especially if the user is used to getting along without visual Target ID. Many in the hobby today don't know how.

I look back and did not see which search coil you were using. Were you just using the octagon shape standard coil, or did you have that very impressive 5.7 in Double D mounted? Because most of my detecting is in trashier locations, I haven't used the standard coil at any of my sites. Only that nice little 5.7.

Keep up the hunting, and best of success, and I totally agree with you regarding the benefits of having more than one detector.

Monte

Booty Hunter,

Congratulations on your efforts. Not just those looking for stuff, but the effort for learning a new and different detector. The Vista X offers a lot of potential, especially if the user is used to getting along without visual Target ID. Many in the hobby today don't know how.

I look back and did not see which search coil you were using. Were you just using the octagon shape standard coil, or did you have that very impressive 5.7 in Double D mounted? Because most of my detecting is in trashier locations, I haven't used the standard coil at any of my sites. Only that nice little 5.7.

Keep up the hunting, and best of success, and I totally agree with you regarding the benefits of having more than one detector.

Monte
Thanks Monte!
I was using the stock larger coil. I do own the small coil, but wanted to run it with the stock just to see what I could do with it, however in the iron infested spots I have plans to take this, I will definitely be using the small coil. I think it will seperate well, and thanks again for the nice comments. I have used pi machines almost as long as Ive been detecting, but except for a couple water machines, all my vlf detectors have had a screen. I try not to get sucked in to using it as a crutch, but I think even being aware its nowhere near 100% accurate, we still disregard "trash" numbers that are likely good things being "pulled down" by iron or other junk, possibly even non-ferrous targets at depth being pulled down into the ferrous range.