Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Top Minelab Meter

AustinEd

How many of you have used or still use a meter on your Sov? What do you think is the top meter? One of the aftermarket meters like the Avenger or DTI? How does the factory meter rate? I have gone through two Avengers. I used them until something went bad with the electronics. They were both very good and locked on very strongly. What do you guys think?

Never saw much difference between them performance wise, but their profiles differ. Depends on how your gonna use them, on what rod I would say. I like the stock meter because it can be strapped right to the hipmount bag, doesnt stand upright like the sunray or avenger.
you might find it hard to locate any of them now, I dont think any are made new these days.

Hi Ed,

I am not sure what the "top" meter is but I use the sunray DTI II meter and I love it on my GT. I hip mount my machine and keep the meter clamped to the top of my handle. perfect eye view whether I am swinging the unit with my left or right hand. Hope this helps. - Jim

I have used the Sun Ray DTI III and the Minelab meters and the difference in performance is not perceptible to me. The DTI III has the advantage of a back lit screen which of course helps during low light conditions, other than that both do the job fine.

I have used 2 Avengers and different Nighthawks they are great meters but suffer a major flaw.Very bright sunny weather will cause their screens to blank out.After a short time in the shade they will recover but its annoying to search in the shade line because of this problem.Between these two meter the Sunyray is much better.Good Luck Ron

My latest meter I finished today.These are great 180 meter alternatives and have some advantages are light easy to mount better line of sight.

I just ordered a new Sovereign GT from Kellyco, I am very,very new to this but wanted a good detector. My question is, I think that some of the time a meter would come in handy, and I like that there is one out there that is made for this detector, but why can I not find one on the internet. I see pictures of it, but no where to actually click on it and buy it, is it discontinued? If anyone knows where I can pick one up, a link would be greatful, Thanks

The meter has been discontinued, I think they are useful, I use mine for land hunting.. You can find a used one but it could take some time. So no big name manufacturer, Minelab or Sun Ray now produce the meter, however there are individuals who makes these. Do a search here and you will find some examples of making your own. Sometimes they appear on the auction sites like Flea Bay.

Great looking meter! I mostly used my Avengers for nickel hunting. They were so stable I could usually read a older V or Buff from a newer Jeff because of the slight differences in alloy and the buildup of corrosion. V's and Buffs tended to read 130 to 132. Clean Jeffs read 132 to 133. If the reading exceeded 133 forget it, it was not a nickel. This also made it easier to read thin wall rings in this range. I miss my meter.

If it was calibrated to 180 on a new quarter or dime the nickle readings should be 140 range as mine read 143-145 for the new nickles and slightly lower on the deeper older nickles and the war nickles can read all the way to 151, but still have the nickle to ne to them instead of the pulltabs. The Sovereigns are very hot on nickles.

I did like the Avenger and Nighthawk for nickles which did seem to excel in this area.The reading for nickles for these Winburn meters were higher(as much as 150 instead of 144-145 norm) than the Sunrays.Both the Avenger and Nighthawk would quit working in bright sunlight and limit or restrict your area to a shade tree on bright sunny days.

How can I say this? You are right and I was wrong, much as I hate to admit it. For some reason I was thinking of the way nickels read on my F2 when I was writing about the Sov meter. My bad.