Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Toss the gold ring practice

MikeLab

A nugget hubnting book I read says to do this with a gold nugget. I don't know if anyone needs this for ring hunting, but I use a man's 10k ring (hits on ground level at 53) and I toss it in my yard then search for it. It's not so much to find it as it is to hear the sound it makes without seeing it and knowing exactly where it is. I want that mental alarm to go off in my head--"Hey! That's a ring!!!". The reason this works well in my yard is the metalic junk level is very near what you find in a city park. Even worse LOL. Of course the10k ring hits very loud but on edge it gives a nice double hit. Even when it is laying flat it also gives a little extra blip. I have tried to discover a difference in the tones between a ring and a pull tab, but I gave up. I still can hear some before and after sounds with the aluminum, but the double beep of the ring is very distinct (and quick) and the AT really is on the mark with the extremely fast recovery speed. What bothers me now is I know I have heard that a few times and did not check it out.

yes, i have noticed the double blip on the rings i have found. unfortunately, i have heard this on pulltabs as well, though they are more scratchy. man, it's really tough to distinguish the gold rings, esp small, with the tabs. silver rings are easier.

All the old timers will tell you if you want the gold ring, you have to dig the tabs. I've dug hundreds of the blasted things and I'm still waiting on that gold ring. Silver I've hit but no gold rings yet!

They tell you to dig the zinc pennys, too. And nickels, too. And pull tabs, and everything. I almost wonder if it is a ruse to dishearten other detectorists.

Tesla talked about to find a needle in a haystack Thomas Edison would examine every piece of straw while he himself would discover scientific principles. I certainly don't claim to have much in common with Tesla, but I like his philosophy. "Dig everything" is certainly a good plan for virgin ground, but not where I hunt. Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone and I'm no expert..

Virgin ground? What the heck is that??? I'd sure like to find some though. I filter out iron trash but I still optimistically dig those pesky pull tab-nickel signals. While I've never hit a gold ring I have hit a 14kt medallion right in that range.

Rings can have various sounds, depending on their size, orientation to the coil and "k" type and what they are amalgamated with. The only thing that I often find that repeats itself is the strong and soft signal a gold ring gives.