Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tot lot and fence lines etc.

Dan'O

I like to hunt some of the 'not so easy' places that others avoid due to the metal support posts, like benches, tot lot supports, fences and any other area with similar structures. What I normally use is my MXT Pro with the 5.3" or 4X6 coil with the gain tuned just so it doesn't get overloaded and then watch the VID for any blips/changes. It takes a great deal of patience to hunt this way and is not fool proof but has yielded some modest finds. I was wondering if there is a better way to search these places or even a better machine to do it with? An MX7 perhaps? When I do this I'm primarily looking for jewelry but have recently found a nice V nickle this way. I usually hunt this way while the nephews, nieces, grandchildren or friends hunt around me. I have also tried a 'hockey puck' type accelerator coil on another brand and have been very much less than impressed. I also have a V3i but just can't seem to wrap my head around it enough see any real advantage over the MXT Pro.
I really appreciate any insight you may have and don't mind sharing. Yes, insight comes from experience not speculation.
I hope everyone enjoys this hobby, has fun and finds not only "treasure" but also some relaxation and excitement from time to time.
Thanks, Dan

It sounds like you have a good approach as I do the same thing. The problem is the target must have enough response to add to the partial reject/accept response of the pole, bench,etc. You've already learned the lowered gain part which helps. I only know of two extra tips I've learned. One- I found one edge of my small coil can get closer than the others before the signal responds, so I always approach with that side. Next- I always compare a suspected target signal with another spot on say a pole. I found a quarter this way. I thought the thick pole was overloading the signal, but checking another side of the pole yielded a moderate blip signal. The quarter was almost touching the pole. I don't watch the screen but go by audio. Oh-one other. I can also sweep very slow on some signals and they will stay as compared to disappearing at another spot on the pole. Not much help, but my results keep me happy enough.
Almost forgot. I wouldn't worry about which machine as my simple 2 filter, fixed g/b matches the fancier ones in this scenario. In other words , simplicity of machine response wins out here.

I really appreciate your reply. I will try the very slow sweep speed and see how that affects things. I think I will go to a tot lot and seed it in a few places and find out what works the best.
Thanks, Dan

Dan'O said:
I really appreciate your reply. I will try the very slow sweep speed and see how that affects things. I think I will go to a tot lot and seed it in a few places and find out what works the best.
Thanks, Dan
Yeah- that works- although I only seeded a few items myself. The reason I specialize in this is most use large coils and don't bother with this strategy and some "searched out" places yield quite a bit of extras. It's like opening a new site in some of these hard worked sites. I set my discrimination at iron nails and this allows a little closer sweep without much overload. Also, in this day and age when everyone and his neighbor has a detector, it is sometimes pretty bare in the wide open spaces of detecting.

5 inch puck coil from detech, 5 sens