Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tot Lot finds

Ed in SoDak

What a lovely December 1st here today! Sandy was busy with Christmas Cards. My penmanship sucks, so I don't even get asked to help, lucky me! Feeling that luck on my side, I made a trip to the schoolyard playground. Lately the finds have been slim, but I've done a good service by removing some nasty trash.

I was a little surprised today when I found some large iron hooks left behind from a swingset upgrade. Kinda funny, since I've hunted this area several times in the recent past. I recovered the usual foil bits and tiny rusty nails and staples I usually find. Finding mostly iron was getting a little boring so I began to watch the ID for something better. I finally hit a signal close enough to a nickel to dig. At about 5 inches I found a nice 925 silver ring on edge that weighed just under two grams. It bears the initials CTR, so I'll turn it in to the school offices next week and maybe they can help get it returned. It's well-worn, so I know the owner had it awhile before losing it in the woodchips. It was my first ring find in quite awhile, so I was pleased to no end!

Another interesting find was an iron signal with a few higher tones mixed in. That turned out to be an old key of some kind. Might be a winder for a clock or some mechanism, I don't know my old keys very well. But it's pretty ornate to be a modern key and I wondered how it got here. I don't dig every signal when I hunt here, but I was surprised I'd missed this one before and the other large targets I was digging that were very rusty. I also found a 1967 dime, oddly the only coin I dug today!

It was a short but enjoyable session making the most of the mild start to winter. Not that much for finds, and I won't keep the ring but I really like that old key!
-Ed

Hey, thats some nice work on the little stuff, and that key is pretty cool!..good snag on that ring, somebody will be happy to get that back.:clapping:
Mud

Nice find on the ring and key. Growing up in the Moorhead, Fargo area, Dec 1st is usually getting the ice fishing house out on some body of frozen water rather then detecting. Those CTR (Choose The Right) rings seem to be showing up all over. I found one back in the summer and a fellow club member just dug one this past week, Saw another one besides yours recently posted, as well. Good hunting and hope your weather holds a bit longer for you. HH jim tn

n/t

Thanks for the comments!

Funny, on the ring I thought it was some kid's initials. Jim, you no doubt saved me some embarrassment at the school when I take it in. I found the identical ring online for $25 that seems a little high to me for such a small size.

-Ed

My buddy tabman got a pretty hefty one, as was mine. Check his recent post on the Tesoro forum for what his looked like. HH jim tn

Hi Chuck,

I don't know now... Air tests give it an ID in the 70's but it drops down to the 60's at a distance. Maybe my recollection was weak. I was quickly scanning and not taking notes. I dug it as a signal above iron that was more repeatable instead of jumpy. I found it on edge, but in air tests that didn't shift the ID as much as distance from the coil. Unless there was another target nearby to it, chalk it up to bad reporting!

Hi Jim,

As soon as I read in your first reply about the meaning of CTR, I googled the ring maker's name that was stamped next to the 995 and came up with a catalog. The ring maker's name is :drumroll: Ring Maker! Who knew? :shrug:I guess I shoulda done that first, but thanks for fixing my overlooking the obvious clue. I think I'll still turn it in since it may have been reported or the teachers may know or could ask each class if anyone lost such a ring recently. I doubt I'd get it back even if unclaimed, but it can't be worth much as worn and thin as it is.

-Ed

That CTR ring stands for "choose the right" and the Latter Day Saints church gives them out to their kids.-----My wife & I have found a bunch of them over the years and that's the info we found out about them.---and no, I don't belong to/attend the LDS church! :)------------Del

Hey Jim----I SURE AIN'T perfect & The Lord is still working on me--but I mended my wicked ways years ago. :)
jim tn said:
Well, Del, it's still time you mend your wicked ways.:biggrin: HH jim tn

I'm hoping that when I turn in the ring I'll throw 'em off the scent! I think I'm down to just one wicked way. Well, just one at a time, anyways!
-Ed