Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tot Lot lessons with the AT Gold

MikeLab

I went to a park I have never detected and noticed there was a tot lot so I headed over to it. It appeared someone had been there recently as I did not find any coins except a couple pennys. Don't know why, but I decided to dig some signals that were like in the single digits on the ID meter and higher. All of the sudden I started finding coins and broken jewelry (prettty much all junk) but very small pieces. What I discovered is the target ID is not accurate at all in wet sand but the tone still sounds when there are targets underneath. I dug many targets nearly 12 inches deep (yes, with the 5x8 double d coil) and came away with a handfull of clad. No big deal but I learned a valuable lesson that I wished I knew when I was nugget hunting. I passed over hundreds of targets that gave low or no ID number in the gold field and I kick myself for it now. Don't let it happen to you.

I have often found it impossible to Auto Ground Balance in Bark chips, or sand filled tot lots...I think it has to do with the fact that the bark chips are a lot of air, and the liners used under the fill might affect a good GB also...Has this happened to anyone else??
I find if I manually set the GB to 80, I did OK in the tot lots.

HH,

Yes, I did notice the gb worked better when manually bumped up a few numbers but I still got some deep targets only using auto gb. Some coins were right at 12 inches deep.

I would also like to mention again how important it is to overlap your sweeps for the deep targets. The instruction manual says to overlap by half a coil length or four inches per sweep. I would say cut it down to three inch sweeps for the ultra deep targets, at least in the high mineralized sand I was in. I don't know what was in there (fertilizer salts?) because the coins were so pitted I could hardly recognize some of them. I thought maybe they were foreign coins or something. LOL

On another note, I dug one target right under a swing. It was a crushed pop can very deep on end. I thought to myself someone put that there as a trap of sorts to discourage people from digging there. Probably a good spot to find stuff. I left it there and plan to go back to see if anything gets lost there. Maybe I should set my own trap with some iron. LOL

Yeah, I find all that air in the matrix seems to mess with the ID past a few inches. Down here those deep pop cans are from the work crews. Watch a sod crew or a crew mulching with chips in the heat. They drink a soda, stomp it flat, throw it down and fill over it. Thanks a lot guys!

Another thing I've hit here is a metal mesh around transplanted trees. They have it around the root ball and leave it when they plant the tree. You figure it out quick but it's a pain....

I guess a dirty trick would be to put about fifty bottlecaps and a few tabs all around there and see if he picks them up. LOL

Sailorman said:
Yeah, I find all that air in the matrix seems to mess with the ID past a few inches. Down here those deep pop cans are from the work crews. Watch a sod crew or a crew mulching with chips in the heat. They drink a soda, stomp it flat, throw it down and fill over it. Thanks a lot guys!

Another thing I've hit here is a metal mesh around transplanted trees. They have it around the root ball and leave it when they plant the tree. You figure it out quick but it's a pain....

Yes, digging deep cans under sod is not one of my favorites. LOL

All my detectors have a slight change in ID response when hunting in the sand. I tend to dig it all, probably like you and get the good targets left behind by someone else. A lot of tot lots are hunted only in the hots pots by others. I like to do the inside perimeter, where theree are often times many good targets to be found. I usually take 2 detectors along when hunting, and one always has a small coil attached, specifically for those tight spots near metal.