Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tracker IV vs Time Ranger

Bucksport

The title is actually deceiving. I don't actually plan on comparing these two. I already know where their strengths and weaknesses are. I just plan on taking them both out in the morning to hunt with. I have decided to keep the 4" coil on the Time Ranger. Since I always have the 4" on the Tracker, it should be lots of fun. I have dug targets with both down to around 5". I might check a hole with the other machine just to see, but I am just out to have some fun. I will keep everyone updated......if there are any interested parties :)

Should be a good combo.

Every machine has its strengths and weaknesses. A site that's "hunted out" by one, leaves gobs of stuff behind for something else. What this means, is that if you're gonna search a site with two machines (or one machine set up two different ways), you want them as different as possible.

The TR has plenty of depth, a sampled discriminator, comes standard with 8 inch searchcoil, and has slow audio response. You'll probably rely to some extent on target ID to decide what to dig or not dig. That's in disc/ID mode.

You can also search in ground balanced all metals operation if you're willing to "find" everything. It's like having a whole different machine, and the trick is knowing what to do with that whole different machine. There's no straight answer to that, it depends on site conditions and on what works for you personally.

The TK4 doesn't have a lot of depth, but within its depth limits it's got a fast continuous-time discriminator. Putting a 4 inch searchcoil on it plays to its strengths in target separation and ability to reject flat iron.

You're set to clean house. When you're done, tell the Minelab guys you've already been there with BH's, don't waste their time.

Not knocking the Minelabs, but between a guy swinging BH's who knows what the heck he's doing, and a Minelab in the hands of the regular ignoramus user, the advantage goes to the guy with the BH's.

Dave J. said:
Should be a good combo.

Every machine has its strengths and weaknesses. A site that's "hunted out" by one, leaves gobs of stuff behind for something else. What this means, is that if you're gonna search a site with two machines (or one machine set up two different ways), you want them as different as possible.

The TR has plenty of depth, a sampled discriminator, comes standard with 8 inch searchcoil, and has slow audio response. You'll probably rely to some extent on target ID to decide what to dig or not dig. That's in disc/ID mode.

You can also search in ground balanced all metals operation if you're willing to "find" everything. It's like having a whole different machine, and the trick is knowing what to do with that whole different machine. There's no straight answer to that, it depends on site conditions and on what works for you personally.

The TK4 doesn't have a lot of depth, but within its depth limits it's got a fast continuous-time discriminator. Putting a 4 inch searchcoil on it plays to its strengths in target separation and ability to reject flat iron.

You're set to clean house. When you're done, tell the Minelab guys you've already been there with BH's, don't waste their time.
Not knocking the Minelabs, but between a guy swinging BH's who knows what the heck he's doing, and a Minelab in the hands of the regular ignoramus user, the advantage goes to the guy with the BH's.

:heh: Good one Dave J.. But what about the guys that think they know their minelabs? :heh: good hunting to all...

Dave, thanks for the comments. I just plan on enjoying some beeping :)

yowow#1 said:
:heh: Good one Dave J.. But what about the guys that think they know their minelabs? :heh: good hunting to all...
Hehe I couldn't resist :) In reality, any brand/model could be inserted in this sentence. A few high end models have already been to this small reclusive ball field in the past. Maybe someday when I am bored I will purchase a high end unit to try here, but I like to keep things simple for now. HH

Had a good time this morning. Both these machines love the low conductors.
I have yet to dig a buffalo. Thought I had one this morning. It was completely green coated and pretty deep, but just a 64 :( Maybe next time. I do know that once my coil is over one,(or a gold ring) I will have it!

257D761C-ADAE-4787-B996-B9C6B959A1E5_zpsba2192np.jpg

I have heard rumors there are other brands of metal detectors out there.
What a novel idea.......copying the best to try to make the rest.

:bounty: :clap:

HH y'all.

Frank