Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Transitioning from DFX to SE - good luck so far, but have questions

Wow, Doug, that is quite a list of questions.
You load a saved program by pressing menu, then select and then scroll down to the corresponding program and then press the button on the right to place a check mark beside it.
#2 and #3, See my post right under this one, that will give you some help.
#4 could be but watch your depth meter and see if it has any mass to it that causes the bar to raise up some. It also could be nails, since you are learning just wait for repeatable signals that are good 4 ways, that is swinging back and forth and then turning your coil and sweeping over the target.
#5- See #4 answer.
#6a and #6b maybe, it is according to where the screw caps are coming in on the screen, scan some of them you have been digging and some IH's and see if they are the same. I can pretty much tell screw caps from IH's and zincs by sound and most of them are higher on the smartfind screen in my area. My suggestion at this time is dig a bunch of the screw caps so that you can get used to how they sound on your Explorer and dig some zincs(which have about the same conductivity of IH's) so you can tell the difference or not. You can make a small window for IH's but I would not recommend it for the most part. Learning the audio of the Explorer is more important than anything else.
You may want to get Andy's book for the Explorer also, and read the archives here(click on advanced search, select all dates, type in my user name or others and you should get a good list to read) and on the Explorer forum to get some info on how different people hunt and use the Explorer. Learning the Explorer will take you some time so hang in there, it will be worth it.
HH

[quote monindou]Hi folks,

I just my new SE last Friday, have put in about 24 hours on it, and I

n/t

Here are my thoughts on the subject (for what it is worth). Excluding the effects of target masking on deep targets, the ferrous part of the target ID has a tendency to be more effected by ground mineralization than does the conductive part of the target ID. If that is true, then the following:
* In FERROUS mode the tone ID will tend vary considerably.
* In CONDUCTIVE mode the tone ID will tend to be more stable.

Now as to how this effects the performance on the SMART screen as compared to the DIGITAL screen is a subject for debate. It could be that the SMART screen tends to be somewhat more responsive to targets IDs that jump around than does the DIGITAL screen, but I am not sure that this is true.

HH,
Glenn

Hi fellows,

Thanks a lot for the comments. I know it was a ton of questions I asked. Just as I did when I started with the DFX - use it, dig it, remember it - how it sounded and how the screen acted. Finding and digging silver and copper that come in on the text book responses is easy on this machine. In fact I think it seems to be better than the DFX in terms of cutting through the "crazies" I get when hunting around coal and cinders. Sure I've been digging a ton junk and in doing so I'm catching on to the caveats and I've dug coins so far that if going pure text book would one would pass up - again back to the use it, dig it, remember it phrase.

I moved to full all metal last week. I'm hooked on this bird sound machine, I love the "Coo-Coo!" and "Slam Thump". I hunted a very old, and I'd guess very hit Omaha park for an hour last night. In the cinders I found a very nice Omaha & Council Bluffs Street Railway Company token - copper, nickel size - Good for One Student Toll. The company formed in the 1880's, the railway was basically a trolley system, I'd guess it went the way of the wind in the late 1910

Good to see you are getting out to use the SE and see what this detector can do. It takes a while to get used to it and I find when I run more open Iron mask I have to run ferrous tones as too many nails sound so good for me. In ferrous the rusty bottle caps will sound like a coin and even some rusty tin cans, but you will see the conductivity number are very low or the cross hairs of the smart screen.
On the pitch hold I like it as the threshold will change to that of the last target it sees and for me with my bad hearing if I don't hear the quick tone of the good target I know the threshold has change to a higher tone and one I will go over again.

Good luck
Rick

Hi Rick!

I've been running Sounds = Ferrous since fired the machine up about two weeks ago (or is it three weeks now?). Just for fun I did try Sounds = Conduct last night for about 5 minutes... arg! High level screen, high ferrous digital, confirmed on dig, iron targets sounding like something good just didn