Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Trashy woods sites. yeesh!

Trailduster

Took the F70 to a off the trail site up in the woods today. A small 30ft 3 pole rusty old tower of some sort. A spot we used to go drinking when we were kids and boy were there a lot of old faded cans and broken glass bottles. Doesn't look like a popular drinking spot anymore for the current generation although there was on Monster Energy can so someone's been there in the past few years anyway.

Basically, I got skunked. 1 stinky clad quarter, 1980 something, and a butt load of bottle caps. Oh, and one really good deep signal with nothing else around it that got me excited. Kept hitting high 80's, low 90's at 6"....turned out to be a rail road spike at 10". The nearest railroad is a mile away. :confused:

Not my first experience like this either. Hear in the Mid Hudson we have a lot of stone walls and foundations out in the woods. And I mean A L O T !. Unfortunately they attract similar behavior. Tons of beer cans and broken glass bottle caps. I've been skunked every time I go to these sites.

BTW I'm running the F70 with a Fisher 11" DD so I'm in better shape handling the trash than if I had the concentric, but man it get's tiring digging so much crap with so little reward. Thank god for tot lots and schools to bank some higher volume clad on to break up the disappointment of the woodsy hunts.

Really gotta get one of those 5" dd snipers for the woodsy hunts, just a matter of waiting out a good deal on a used one as I can't bring myself to pay the $135 for a new one. Ho Hum.

/rant :crazy:

Hey! Good post! A real world look at metal detecting the trash! I will also take a moment to rant a little...I got permission to hunt an old homesite this weekend...I helped the guy haul loads of scrap wood before he figured I was cool enough to get permission, fired up the F70 and not a thing but junk! Off to the totlots I went for some real money! I'm sure theres something good at this site, but the grass was getting tall and lots of undergrowth and vines made swinging a chore.
Mud

Like ez said, at least you gave it a shot. Shoot, the next such spot might give up that elusive gold coin. Good luck! HH jim tn

Small coil might be best if there is a lot of trash.....Big coils excel in large areas that are not trashy......

Thanks for the encouragement guys. :beers:

Oh, the trials and tribulations of the bewildered metal detectorist.

I had a similar disappointment last week - researched and located an overgrown poison ivy and red ant infested patch that had a house from the 1860's to the 1950's. Beer cans, iron trash, bottle caps, trees, weeds, briars, ticks and ants. Got skunked for coins but on the bright side did not bring home any ticks. The DD was burping and chirping almost every sweep. It did not help that the paths and area in front of the house were also loaded with steel mill slag instead of gravel, which totally overloaded the F70. Guess I should go back with a shovel and find the privy - maybe score some old bottles. Mudpuppy is right - detecting is not easy, but sure is addictive.

Fantax

I crank the sens way down to settle down those trash signals. I go to the most trashiest place I can find with the 11" coil and able to pull up good targets with the trash. I don't run any disc either.........you just have to see it to believe it. May make a video.