Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

traveling with a detector

Wondering if anybody has flown with their metal detectors. I want to fly with my GPX 4500, as carry on. Just curious if others have and if anybody has had problems with TSA

Thanks

claytargethntr

I have flown with mine numerous times over the years and never had a problem. Carry on now, though, with some airlines is becoming less and less and there is extra cost with some. HH jim tn.

If your MD breaks down to fit in the carry on as mine does, you should have no problem. I never have and when I asked the same question, many people told me the same thing I'm telling you. They might want you to turn it on so leave batteries in it.

I've taken my MD around as carry on, but I won't risk it in check in. Not an expensive MD like yours or mine. Others say not a problem checking your MD. Can't take the chance in my mind. In the cabin with me, I know it will arrive with me. An MD vacation without a MD is a real drag. I don't check mine ever.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

From the land of the Bluenose.....can only speak for Canada but no problem as long as it fits within the guide lines for catty on size. What would I know as i only work security at our international airport. Cuba a no no by the way.

No worries about cuba. I did fly with my detector. Unfortunately the shafts do not break down short enough to take as carry on. So I packaged them and the coil very well and packed them in a checked bag. I then took the brain, battery, and cords for the gpx and wrapped them and packed them in carry on. No hassles at security, though a double take on the xray machine. Figured I better have the cords if they ask me to turn it on.

Thanks for all the feedback. I fly quite a bit, but was a little nervous with the detector. What would I have done if they said no way?

claytargethntr