Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Traveling with detectors

Stoof-tabsallday

Hey gents.
Just curious how you guys travel with your detectors.
Mostly about to places where you flu to.
Do you put them in a separate checked bag and they go with? Do you ship them ahead of time to your destination?

One of these days I want to go to one of Monte's meetups and will be flying. Also this summer I will be flying into Charlotte NC for a 4 day weekend and would like to get some input on best way to fly with them.

When I went to England I used a hard sided (plastic) golf bag case. It's made to put a golf bag in so it's about 4 feet tall with two wheels on one end. Has plenty of room for all your accessories.

Tom Slick said:
When I went to England I used a hard sided (plastic) golf bag case. It's made to put a golf bag in so it's about 4 feet tall with two wheels on one end. Has plenty of room for all your accessories.
And di you fly with that?
What's the cost to check a bag that large?

Yes, I flew, but only because it's a long drive from Arizona :surprised: At the time I was able to take two or three bags at no extra cost. It's only about 14" square by 4 feet and probably weighted only about 20 lbs. Folks Fly with snow skies, rifles, Fishing poles etc. I think it's the weight, not the length that's a problem.

Hmmm. I'll have to look into that.
I'll try Amazon.

I have used a $5 Samsonite hard suitcase from Goodwill and other thrift stores for flying in the US and other countries.

I think my case came from the Goodwill also. I've seen them there a couple of times over the years.

I kind of had a thought to get some kind of suitcase but as far as a permanent option for storage I wanted to go to the foam factory by me and have them do custom cutouts of foam so it looks professional

Last summer I flew with two detectors and a pinpointer in my carry-on. On the return flight they wanted to see what the pinpointer was. I had it stuffed in the bottom of a boot and I guess from all the different layers all they could make out was an unidentified electronic device.... once they took it out and saw it and I explained what it was they didn't have a problem with it. I told them I wasn't surprised that they wanted to look at my stuff, but I figured it would be one of the other machines. They said they saw those on the scanner and knew what they were but couldn't tell with the pinpointer being inside multiple layers.

Oh OK cool. Yeah carry-on would be best. Worried about checked bag getting lost lol