Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Treasure Coast water detecting

John316

I'm still not clear of wether water detecting is allowed in Vero Beach, Fl. Where can I find out if there's an ordinance against water detecting?

you can hunt in water at vero beach...:detecting:
ive hunted there several times and had no problems
hh
john

Up to the ankle is OK.....otherwise water detecting is illegal. And by the way......the whole treasure coast beaches have video cameras covering every square inch. There are Florida state aircraft flying over every once in a while to check up on people who might be water detecting.

The Treasure Coast is ideal for wet sand and dry sand detecting with an Excalibur II and a WOT coil or a PI machine.

It really depends on where you are at. Most of the public beaches in Vero Beach are within the protected area's of the 1715 lease sites. Also the State claims all finds older than 50 years in all navigable waters except those exempted by salvage leases. High tide sand to low tide sand is free and clear, you could find the Queens jewels there and not have a single problem. There are some decent modern jewelry beaches that you can water hunt, close to the Vero area that won't put you on the wrong side of the sport. HH.

I think the someone in here posted a new law and it was like 15,000 feet from shore line. I asked then for a site to get info and as yet have not seen it. You may want to check on new legislature pasted recently removing the ankle deep theory. By the way I live in area and as long as not near an active working wreck. never been questioned or approached. My motto ask first has allowed me pretty much were I want to go. If lifeguards are in place go ask them. They have never advsied I could not get in ( except once when there was a shark swimming in area).
Good luck and hope you find bunches of the queens lost treasures.

Thank you all for your responses, but it is still not clear to me. That's why I want to read the official ordinance or law concerning water detecting. Is it ok to hunt at ankle, knee or chest high? I called Parks and Recreation and they gave me Fish and Wild Life number. I called them and they transfered me to someone "who would know". I left two messages. I'm still waiting for a phone call. Do I need to call the Chief of Police, Charlie Crist or President Obama to get a straight answer?

I guess I'll play it safe and just go ankle deep. Maybe ask the locals when I get there. The folks at the McLarty Treasure Museum should know!

John316 said:
Thank you all for your responses, but it is still not clear to me. That's why I want to read the official ordinance or law concerning water detecting. Is it ok to hunt at ankle, knee or chest high? I called Parks and Recreation and they gave me Fish and Wild Life number. I called them and they transfered me to someone "who would know". I left two messages. I'm still waiting for a phone call. Do I need to call the Chief of Police, Charlie Crist or President Obama to get a straight answer?

I guess I'll play it safe and just go ankle deep. Maybe ask the locals when I get there. The folks at the McLarty Treasure Museum should know!

There are no laws that I know of that prohibit metal detecting in Florida. Some state parks and such have rules against disturbing the ground or digging. The treasure fleet beaches have laws protecting their(salvors) claim to salvage their wrecks. These claims usually extend in a 1500 yard radius from some feature like a ballast pile. Most of the ballast piles are closer to shore than the 1500 yard mark and the salvors legal claim ends at the mean low tide mark (public property on navigable or tidally influenced waters is mean high line to mean low tide line).

I don

Thank you, this was extremely informative.
I plan to visit Vero Beach for the 4th of July weekend and hunt as many beaches as possible. Would be nice to find and old coin, but I'll settle for anything of value :)