Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Treasure hunting marathon

John316

I have been watching Cash and Treasures, with Becky Worley, all day today on the Travel Channel. Wow, I would love to head out and do some mining hunting. Anyone watching the show today? Has anyone gone gem hunting?

Frank

When they do the metal detecting on the travel channel, some of my friends and I were there! :)

Yes, I watched the part on geodes and loved the color of those that were found and sliced open! I've seen the others at one time or another! When I was MD'ing, I also looked for rocks and hunted for them in different areas. I collect almost anything that might be an antique or pretty! Been to the Diamond Mine in Murphysboro, Arkansas and all I found was that I looked like a Ruby from being out in the sun all day trying to find a diamond or diamonds....but no such luck! :sad: :biggrin: God Bless! Betty

I LOVE those shows and did see some of them today. I like Cash and Treasures, with Becky Worley, better than the new Kirsten Gum Treasure Hunter shows. I believe I have seen them all. Not sure about now, but I know you used to could watch those shows on the Travel Channel's Website. I have been gem mining a few times in North Carolina. Been to some places where you pay the fee and they let you go out on your own to dig, and have been to places where they have dug out truck loads of dirt and dumped it in a pile for you to go get a bucket full to bring back to the sluice. And I've done a lot of the 'generic' mining in North & South Carolina, Tennessee, and North Georgia, where you stop at a place that already has the buckets of dirt sitting there, you pay for the bucket and sit at the sluice and pick out your gems. These buckets are called "salted buckets" because the owner/operators of the mining place have sprinkled native, as well as foreign gems throughout the bucket. This way they can guarantee that you find some gems for your money and efforts. I absolutely LOVE gem mining and can spend hours on end doing it. My husband is only mildly interested in it (same goes for my grown children) so I had rather do it with my cousin. I have quite a collection of sapphires, garnets, rubies, emeralds, and other gems that I've found. Even had some jewelry made from my finds. I've also done some gold panning at some gold mines as well as in the creeks around where I live. I'm also a fossil hunter and a rock hound. I metal detect, dig outhouses & cisterns, and bottle hunt. Spend time in the woods looking for ginseng and other types of plants, herbs, and wildflowers. If it's treasure hunter related, I want to be smack in the middle of it! I also thoroughly enjoy combing every inch of flea markets & trade days looking for all sorts of treasures! I collect old antique southern utilitarian pottery/stoneware (churns, pitchers, cream risers, storage jars etc.), and will travel far and near to track down specific pieces (certain other antiques too). My students enjoy my treasure hunting stories and looking at many of the things I find. I think I could be a perfect replacement for Becky Worley or Kirsten Gum! Anybody got the Travel Channel's number??? Maybe I could send them a picture and a bio to see if they were interested! :rofl: Just kidding. When they found out how much arthritis and fibromyalgia slows me down at times, I doubt they would be interested... heck, they probably be interested anyway.

Lisa (in Alabama)
TreasureDigger

They WOULD NOT be interested anyway! So much for not taking the time to proof read before posting! - Lisa

The one where she was diving for Treasure with the Fisher family in Florida-she found a silver piece of eight,and they said it was tradition that all of their divers got to keep their first find,no matter what it was-SO they let her keep that piece of eight she found...She asked about the value of it-They told her depending on the rarity;it wouold be from $1,000-5,000.00:surprised::thumbup:-NOT BAD for 20 minutes of diving!!!They also showed a guy that had found a Gold Doubloon while diving for them;he had it mounted on a special bezel to wear on a chain,and he was wearing it for the show..she asked him what it was worth,and he smiled and said "$30-60,000.00"......Hs also said"I dont wear this out too often,its usually in a locked safe...Today,Im just wearing it for your show"...No one has to wonder WHY he doesnt wear it every day......

TreasureDigger said:
I LOVE those shows and did see some of them today. I like Cash and Treasures, with Becky Worley, better than the new Kirsten Gum Treasure Hunter shows. I believe I have seen them all. Not sure about now, but I know you used to could watch those shows on the Travel Channel's Website. I have been gem mining a few times in North Carolina. Been to some places where you pay the fee and they let you go out on your own to dig, and have been to places where they have dug out truck loads of dirt and dumped it in a pile for you to go get a bucket full to bring back to the sluice. And I've done a lot of the 'generic' mining in North & South Carolina, Tennessee, and North Georgia, where you stop at a place that already has the buckets of dirt sitting there, you pay for the bucket and sit at the sluice and pick out your gems. These buckets are called "salted buckets" because the owner/operators of the mining place have sprinkled native, as well as foreign gems throughout the bucket. This way they can guarantee that you find some gems for your money and efforts. I absolutely LOVE gem mining and can spend hours on end doing it. My husband is only mildly interested in it (same goes for my grown children) so I had rather do it with my cousin. I have quite a collection of sapphires, garnets, rubies, emeralds, and other gems that I've found. Even had some jewelry made from my finds. I've also done some gold panning at some gold mines as well as in the creeks around where I live. I'm also a fossil hunter and a rock hound. I metal detect, dig outhouses & cisterns, and bottle hunt. Spend time in the woods looking for ginseng and other types of plants, herbs, and wildflowers. If it's treasure hunter related, I want to be smack in the middle of it! I also thoroughly enjoy combing every inch of flea markets & trade days looking for all sorts of treasures! I collect old antique southern utilitarian pottery/stoneware (churns, pitchers, cream risers, storage jars etc.), and will travel far and near to track down specific pieces (certain other antiques too). My students enjoy my treasure hunting stories and looking at many of the things I find. I think I could be a perfect replacement for Becky Worley or Kirsten Gum! Anybody got the Travel Channel's number??? Maybe I could send them a picture and a bio to see if they were interested! :rofl: Just kidding. When they found out how much arthritis and fibromyalgia slows me down at times, I doubt they would be interested... heck, they probably be interested anyway.

Lisa (in Alabama)
TreasureDigger

Wow Lisa you sure the adventurous one. It will be tough to keep up with you!!!!!!!!!
Did you see they have the Travel Channel Academy? http://www.travelchannel.com/Academy/Academy_Home
This may be something worth looking into.

Frank

warthog said:
The one where she was diving for Treasure with the Fisher family in Florida-she found a silver piece of eight,and they said it was tradition that all of their divers got to keep their first find,no matter what it was-SO they let her keep that piece of eight she found...She asked about the value of it-They told her depending on the rarity;it wouold be from $1,000-5,000.00:surprised::thumbup:-NOT BAD for 20 minutes of diving!!!They also showed a guy that had found a Gold Doubloon while diving for them;he had it mounted on a special bezel to wear on a chain,and he was wearing it for the show..she asked him what it was worth,and he smiled and said "$30-60,000.00"......Hs also said"I dont wear this out too often,its usually in a locked safe...Today,Im just wearing it for your show"...No one has to wonder WHY he doesnt wear it every day......

I loved the Key West episode! Mining must be fun, but there isn't anything like finding gold or silver from a shipwreck! Not that I have ever hunted a shipwreck. I can't even swim! :)

Frank