Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Treasure Ray :surrender:

thepest

Does anyone know anything about Treasure Ray detectors... i have one... but cant find any information about it.... or the company.... i need a starting point.... any help would be appreciated....:shrug:

Here's what i know about this detector....it's a Treasure Ray Metal Detector. Serial Number 7H4049.... Made by the J. K. Gilbert Co. Leesville, Texas.... ( they no longer exsist) i am " asuming " this is a TR machine designed for beach combing.... because it is not water proof.... it takes 10 AA bateries to operate...... it extends out to aprox. 5 feet.... it seems you would hold the detector by the poll a little less than half way down.... the balance feels good....it's light weight.... it has an 8 and half inch coil.... and.... It Works Perfectly....
I'd love to know what model it is.... and if i could get instructions from somone who knows the detector... or... even a copy of the manual.... i'd be in my glory...:detecting:

............The detectors from J.K. Gilbert were very popular about 30 years ago...............they also made a waterproof P! that predated the Garrett SeaHunter.................they also came out with one of the very first discriminator s for aro around $300.00 which was a lot of money back around 1974!!....I will see if I can find any of the old advertisements from one of my old treasure magazines/catalog.........Joe

I tested one of the TR short handled scuba versions. Thought it was the greatest thing.....if I recall correctly, it wouldn't detect a penny more than 4".
Ended up getting a Garrett XL500 VLF/TR scuba detector, when it came out.

sorry for not chiming in sooner....i'm a computer repair guy.... and " back to school " is one of my busiest times..... WOW..... if Joe has an advertisement that would be the bomb.... i did manage to find out that this unit was a demo..... the owner of a now closed hardware store said the sales rep droped it off....and he never saw the salesman again..... he rented the unit a few times..... then it went in the back room.... and he lost track of it til his son closed the store last year.... gotta love big business.... crushin the lil guy....
that's the only new news i've had on it......:bouncy:

Forgive me for reviving an old post, but I came across this one while searching for something else and thought it was kind of interesting. This detector came out around 1976. I'm not sure about the name, but it might have been The Competition Hunter. Treasure Ray made this one strictly for competition hunting. The cylindrical detector housing was made to be gripped with both hands so you could swing it quickly. Detectors were pretty heavy back then, and I don't think that arm rests had come out yet, so in a weird way this design kind of made sense. I doubt that they sold many.

WOW.....:surprised: i'm glad you did revive the post ..... that gets me just a tid bit closer..... i'm greatful for anything i can learn about this baby.... i've had whispers of an owners manual for a year and a half now.... still waiting patiently..... thanks so much for your time... anthony

The first Treasure Ray I was able to try out was the diver version in a plastic housing.

i've been buying.... and looking trough old treasure hunting magazines.... so far.... i've found these 4 adverts
the Coin-Pro looks like it had big gonads:devil:.... i'd like to find that detector someday..... meanwhile.... back to the search:crazy:

My father was a Treasure Ray dealer for a short period of time in the mid 1970's. I was a teenager back then. We sold a few of the cheaper BF models but never had one of the big Coin-Pros. That was an awesome looking machine, probably the biggest box ever on a non industrial detector. Check out the picture on the lower left - it's got 2 meters! Talk about overkill! At $300-350 it was one of the highest priced detectors at that time along with the top offerings from Whites and Garrett. Getting back to the Competition Hunter (if that was it's name), I only remember seeing this detector in the company promotional handouts that we gave to customers. I can't recall if it ever made it into the treasure magazines. I wonder if they just made a few models and gave up on them? It would be interesting to find out when the company went out of business.

Had one of the big box detectors and used it extensively in the late 70's and early 80's. Found coins here in parks in Texas that others could not. It was very difficult to learn to use but when I mastered it - it was awesome. I made the mistake of throwing it in trash when I moved from Las Vegas back to Texas 5 years ago. Sick about that as it was still in good shape. Had so much in car I could not fit it in. Really, really regret how stupid that was. It was really a deep seeker and found many old coins very deep.
Should not have wrote this as I am sick about getting rid of it the way I did.
Regards

Wow, just looking at those ads, ya gotta get some Popyee arms for that Big Bad Coin-Pro!

Nice post, thepest.

TC-NM

Hi,

I really need the operating manual of the treasure ray TR scuba model.

My email: gadidoron06@gmail.com

Thank you!