Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tried my Simplex for the first time yesterday

coffey67

Yesterday was the first time I tried my Simplex. It was OK but I was not overly impressed. I normally use my Tesoro Bandido II uMax as my go to machine. The Simplex is much noisier and it does not play well with my Garrett pinpointer. The coil on the Simplex is so large that it does not seem to be suited for trashy areas. I will continue to try it and get used to it but so far I do not see that it is any better than my beep and dig Tesoro machines. Any input?

Yesterday was the first time I tried my Simplex. It was OK but I was not overly impressed. I normally use my Tesoro Bandido II uMax as my go to machine. The Simplex is much noisier and it does not play well with my Garrett pinpointer. The coil on the Simplex is so large that it does not seem to be suited for trashy areas. I will continue to try it and get used to it but so far I do not see that it is any better than my beep and dig Tesoro machines. Any input?
In addition to my Simplex + I also use the Garrett Apex. Nokta FORS Relic (for get-serious Relic Hunting sites), and a Tesoro Silver Sabre µ (micro)MAX as well as Bandido II µMAX.

What Mode, Discrimination setting and Sensitivity were you using on your Simplex ? That can make a lot of difference. If you are searching in the Disc. model you would need to reject the first 3 and possibly the 4th Disc. segment to be close to duplicating the Bandido II µMAX at minimum Disc. accept lower Disc. segments and it will get a bit noisier.

Are you using a big 11" DD coil on the Bandido II µMAX? If so, you'll find it is also not a good coil pick for hunting trashier areas. The Simplex + 'standard' round 11" DD coil is an OK pick for a wide-open beach, or a larger grassy park or plowed field as long as they are not too littered. My 11" DD coil is in my Accessory Coil Tote because it is simply too large to be taken into the more trashy public parks and other urban sites with a lot of litter, or out to the remote Relic Hunting sites I like to work that abound with a lot of Iron Nails, other ferrous debris and rusty tin.

I keep a Nokta / Makro 5X9½ DD mid-sized coil mounted on my Simplex + full-time and the performance is commendable.

Monte

The Simplex should have been offered with a smaller coil than the 11" supplied. For most N. American people it is too large. But, in Europe it's a pretty standard size coil they like using for hunting relics and deeper treasures.
Best bet is the 8.5" round coil if you need just a bit more depth than the 5x9.5" DD. The 5x9.5" coil is the preferred size coil. Like Monte, that's the coil that stays on my Simplex full time. Get that coil and it will change the opinion you have of the Simplex. Also, setting suggestions above by Monte will give more of the Tesoro feel.

If you are having problems with the Garrett and are running 2.77 or 2.78 version of the software then you can stop noise from the pinpointer by pressing the pinpoint button one time and it mutes the machine. I also do not use the stock coil in trashy areas and stick to the SP 24 coil. It helps considerably with the noise and gets really good target separation.

If the 8.5 coil gives you more depth then why choose the 5x9.5?
I checked them both out, side-by-side when they were released. 'Depth' seems to often be an over-hyped topic, at least to me. because with over 56 years of avid detecting I have noted that most old coins, trade tokens, gold and silver jewelry, and all sorts of desirables are nt all that deep. Oh, I want 'ample depth', but I generally get that from a good quality mid-size coils that is a round 7" or 8" diameter, or elliptically-shaped of maybe 5X8 or 5X9½ size.

In my comparison tests, there was an indication the round 8" might provide slightly better depth. However, the 8" was also noticeable heavier than th 5X9½, and it also balanced worse because the rod-mount 'ears' are too far to the rear of the coil rather than more centered. Therefore, the 5X9½ resulted in a better balanced and lighter-weight coil which made it a lot more comfortable to put in a longer duration of hunt-time.

I keep the 5X9½ DD mounted full-time on my Simplex +, and honestly feel like SvenS that this model should have been released with the 5X9½ DD as 'standard' and not the bigger round 11" DD. I also think it should have had a round 5" DD offered for it as well, and even their round 7" Concentric coil.

Monte

You may want to get the Nokta/Makro pinpointer, it pairs nicely with no cross talk. I’m impressed with the depth in non EMI areas, but noticed last week in a horrible site for EMI, it killed the depth but it does with , fisher, Tesoro, Deus and even old Nautilus machines. So far the CTX is the only machine that can tune it out here

I checked them both out, side-by-side when they were released. 'Depth' seems to often be an over-hyped topic, at least to me. because with over 56 years of avid detecting I have noted that most old coins, trade tokens, gold and silver jewelry, and all sorts of desirables are nt all that deep. Oh, I want 'ample depth', but I generally get that from a good quality mid-size coils that is a round 7" or 8" diameter, or elliptically-shaped of maybe 5X8 or 5X9½ size.

In my comparison tests, there was an indication the round 8" might provide slightly better depth. However, the 8" was also noticeable heavier than th 5X9½, and it also balanced worse because the rod-mount 'ears' are too far to the rear of the coil rather than more centered. Therefore, the 5X9½ resulted in a better balanced and lighter-weight coil which made it a lot more comfortable to put in a longer duration of hunt-time.

I keep the 5X9½ DD mounted full-time on my Simplex +, and honestly feel like SvenS that this model should have been released with the 5X9½ DD as 'standard' and not the bigger round 11" DD. I also think it should have had a round 5" DD offered for it as well, and even their round 7" Concentric coil.

Monte
Monte, what is the typical depth you have found for the desirables?

Monte, what is the typical depth you have found for the desirables?
So far, at the urban locations that might have some deeper coins in older parks, etc., while the 'typical depth of Coins and Coin-sized 'desirables' is surface to 4" or so, I have found most of the 'deeper keepers' to be in e 5" to 7" range. Those were more highly mineralized sites. I did find a very f where they had ben renovation in the '80s that re-positioned a lot of soil and targets were I'd honestly say the unmeasured but estimated Coins were 7" to 9" using the 11" DD coil in wide-open / sparse-tart ground. Here in Texas with the mild sandy soil, depths have been similar, but I haven't had as much time to hunt non masking-trash sites yet.

Monte

I was getting annoyed that after 2 months on the equinox Coiltek 10x5 preorder list that the dealer had no idea when it might be available, that I canceled the order and for $80 more I took advantage of the Simplex+ WHP with standard AND SP 24 coil pkg.
I expect to keep the sp24 on the simplex and use the Nox when I need the coverage of an 11” coil. I also use an XP Orx with 11” coil so I can’t see the simplex w/ 11” being of much use.

I was getting annoyed that after 2 months on the equinox Coiltek 10x5 preorder list that the dealer had no idea when it might be available, that I canceled the order and for $80 more I took advantage of the Simplex+ WHP with standard AND SP 24 coil pkg.
I expect to keep the sp24 on the simplex and use the Nox when I need the coverage of an 11” coil. I also use an XP Orx with 11” coil so I can’t see the simplex w/ 11” being of much use.
Good decision. :thumbup: For almost 50 years now, as of this coming fall/winter, I have tried to maintain more than 1 detector in my outfit. It was generally 2 to 4 in those early days, and with more features, coils, and different performance available today, I still do and then some.. I have 3 brands, 5 different models, and 7 individual units at-the-ready. I very seldom, ever, like to change search coils, preferring to match a particular coil to one model IF that combo works well, or having more than one of the same model so that sports a different coils.

I have 1 Nokta Relic w/5" DD and that is all I use on it for seriously tough, ferrous-littered sites.

A set of 2 Tesoro's, a Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX, each with a 6" Concentric coil because that is all I use with them.

There are 3 Garrett Apex devices, each with a different coil for specific needs. My main use unit has their 5X8 DD 'Ripper' coil, and the 2nd Apex wears the larger-size 'Raider' coil that is 8½X11 DD for more open areas and depth, such s a beach, plowed field, etc. My 3rd Apex I grab when I want a smaller-size coil on a TID model, and that is the 5" DD NEL 'Sharp'.

Then my Simplex + that I only use the 5X9½ DD coil on because it balances well, performs quite well, and it is for Beach Hunting or any days when it looks like i might get wet. No need for the 11" because I have the larger coil on an Apex for those tasks. For the Simplex + I also have their wireless headphones and excellent Pulse-Dive Pinpointer that also pair with the headphones. I think you made a good decision.

Monte