Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tried the Racer

GroundScanner

A friend of mind bought a Racer and I tried it out . Great looking machine , well built. However , I don't like the overload. It overloads w/both coils . ( 5x4 and 7x11 coils ) I am going to wait until the new G2+ comes out. The G2+ will fill in for the racer. Now , I am going to get a FORS CoRe and that was my first pick in the first place. For the price , ya just can't beat it. My brother also wants a FORS CoRe so I will get one and we both will work it. And if not for me , he will take it off my hands. I have to down size my arsenal of detectors by the time the G2+ comes out. GS

GS both machines overload easily, nature of a very powerful machine. Nothing wrong with it and it's a great thing to me. Just raise the coil slightly and let it give you a signal. Trust me after your friend hunts with you several times you will get one. A humbling machine to the person not running it but hunting beside it. Nothing to worry about at all.

Just curios if that would solve the overload problem

There is a tradeoff with this machine. A give and take. I don't think we could have such a hot and very sensitive machine without the sensitive overload. The overload is really not much to deal with IMO for the extra depth and sensitivity.

Folks I used my Racer this morning with small coil. I ran 85 and 90 gain. No problems. Yes I got a few overloads on some bigger shallow stuff. After you use one a bit. A joyful machine. It for the $$$$$$$$$$ is up there near or at the top. I have owned or still own, 2-Xp Deus, Minelab CTX, 2-etracs, White's V3i, Fisher F75LTD2, Nokta FORS CoRe, and the beloved Makro Racer. I still have all but the etracs and White's V3i. So I have some good machines to compare Racer to. I'm not a dealer either or connected with Makro either. For the dough, a great unit. It does most things well. With time the finds will prove.

P L E A S E Makro----DON'T do what FT did to the F75---cut the power,however, it is now tame so folks don't have to worry bout just Lifting the coil in case of overload.

I went out and used it . Found nothing but nails. All sounded great. 85, 86, 87 they rang up. I need more time and find a good target to see what sound it has. I guess I can handle the OL (overload) I will used it a little more. But I still want a FORS CoRe. Lol GS

doc holiday said:
P L E A S E Makro----DON'T do what FT did to the F75---cut the power,however, it is now tame so folks don't have to worry bout just Lifting the coil in case of overload.
I'll second and third that!

GroundScanner said:
I went out and used it . Found nothing but nails. All sounded great. 85, 86, 87 they rang up. I need more time and find a good target to see what sound it has. I guess I can handle the OL (overload) I will used it a little more. But I still want a FORS CoRe. Lol GS

Where you using DI2 or DI3??? And at what gain setting??
So the nails sounded just like when the detector is run over a dime???
I can say this, sometimes the Racer will give a high tone on a nail. Here's the thing though. A lot of times you'll notice the tone is not quite there. Also you'll find many times you'll have to hover the coil with a very short compact back and forth over a real small spot to get the nail to ring. If you'll lengthen your sweep and come across the nail you'll notice the Racer don't lock it like a coin. I won't lie, I did this very thing this morning, why?? Because I had already found one very old coin in this particular site earlier, and hadn't found anything and was desperate. But I suspected a nail based on what I saw and heard. You'll notice the Racer will labor with tone over a nail vs coin. And granted there is no real good detector made where you won't dig a nail every once in a while. It comes with the territory of a sensitive and deep detector. I've dug nails with Etrac/CTX/V3i/Deus/Core/F75ltd/LTD2.
I encourage you to sweep an old wheat and a silver dime, note the compactness, and the sudden rise and fall of the tone. Junk/nails, tone has more of a plateau, TID jumpier between sweeps and during sweeps. Tone quality differs. Don't have to do the hover sweep style to get the good crisp tone more sharp. In real heavy iron running a real high gain can aggravate the detecting scenario and make the nails more likely to ring high tones. Dampness/Wetness can as well. In the worst of nail sites gain setting of 50 will produce. 70 is a pretty hot setting on Racer, hotter than most folks think. The CoRe unit starts off default gain level of 50.

This is iron detecting 101, how you should approach iron/nails. Listen for the sounds and watch the 90 degree movement making the discriminator work perfectly. Long video using the CoRe and they sound virtually identical, actually they are with a little twist thrown in. I hardly ever dig a nail. I'm gonna hit that with the Racer and stock coil next week again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzI-iiKY1nw

Thanks squirrel1, I will definitely will pay more attention with the tones. However I did not get a good target out of the half hour try. So I was not able to distinguish a good to a bad. I like the Racers easy turn on and go pretty much. And the LED light is the back to light up the coil area is awesome. GS
squirrel1 said:
GroundScanner said:

Where you using DI2 or DI3??? And at what gain setting??
So the nails sounded just like when the detector is run over a dime???
I can say this, sometimes the Racer will give a high tone on a nail. Here's the thing though. A lot of times you'll notice the tone is not quite there. Also you'll find many times you'll have to hover the coil with a very short compact back and forth over a real small spot to get the nail to ring. If you'll lengthen your sweep and come across the nail you'll notice the Racer don't lock it like a coin. I won't lie, I did this very thing this morning, why?? Because I had already found one very old coin in this particular site earlier, and hadn't found anything and was desperate. But I suspected a nail based on what I saw and heard. You'll notice the Racer will labor with tone over a nail vs coin. And granted there is no real good detector made where you won't dig a nail every once in a while. It comes with the territory of a sensitive and deep detector. I've dug nails with Etrac/CTX/V3i/Deus/Core/F75ltd/LTD2.
I encourage you to sweep an old wheat and a silver dime, note the compactness, and the sudden rise and fall of the tone. Junk/nails, tone has more of a plateau, TID jumpier between sweeps and during sweeps. Tone quality differs. Don't have to do the hover sweep style to get the good crisp tone more sharp. In real heavy iron running a real high gain can aggravate the detecting scenario and make the nails more likely to ring high tones. Dampness/Wetness can as well. In the worst of nail sites gain setting of 50 will produce. 70 is a pretty hot setting on Racer, hotter than most folks think. The CoRe unit starts off default gain level of 50.

I have to say, one thing I've always enjoyed about my F75 LTD/LTD2 is that I've dug very few nails. Sure the occaisional rusty U shaped one that didn't sound that great, but gave enough high tone blips in an old site that warrented investigation. Mostly what I noticed is that when I dug a hole and found a nail, there was also a coin in the hole. Hopefully this is how the Racer works (sounds to be the case) too?